Anyone watch Eurovision?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If I'm honest it's gotten far too big for my liking, too much build up, too many countries in it, a big production in the interval and almost the same amount of time spent on getting the results in as the contest itself. I preferred the Eurovisions of old when there was about 12 countries participating, and you could enjoy it for a couple of hours with a bag of popcorn and a bottle of coke!
I suspect that many Grand Final audience members utilise plenty of coke to get through it

I have a handful of thoughts about it. I'm getting old, so cba to sit up til midnight turned like the older days. So I watch the first hour or so and record the rest so I don't have to sit through the whole thing.

So, I think, compared to last year, there were a lot more songs that held my attention. I liked Spain, Germany, Ukraine, and was especially taken with the Irish one, Barbie Thug.

I have come to the conclusion that this one has to be one of the gayest. Yes, it's famed for being a gay show, but all those half naked 'usually' men aren't really needed if the song is good. Yes, Eurovision is also known for being gimmicky, but still. And those dancers from Spain. I don't mind the odd drag queen, but not sure they could make their minds up :p

And regarding those I wasn't too keen on. Olly doobery, who, tbh I'd never heard of before this, the song started reasonably but became tiresome. I wasn't overly impressed with Israel's song either. NOT because of the goings on going on either.

I think I'm done for now ;)

And that well-known European country Australia!

I bet someone wanted to invite Austria but made a spelling mistake.
I think I've only missed about two Eurovisions in all the years I remember watching them, somewhere around the Bucks Fizz era. Two things that bug me, is (and I will get to why I quoted this bit), too much English being sung. In they way backs, most were sung in their own language and only in English if they won. Euro- of the vision implies showcasing their own culture / language.

And the other is, I suppose I can understand why Israel are in the competition, as there are a lot of Jewish folk all around Europe, but even then, why is Israel, Cyprus and the aforementioned Australia all in a European event?

I dipped in and out of it and simply thought bring back Katie Boyle ( yes I know she`s dead) because there doesn`t seem to be any class in it anymore. Trashy songs, trashy outfits, trashy settings and backgrounds etc. The whole thing seems to be a contest in who can be the most ridiculous/divisive/woke/political and so on, instead of who is the best singer singing the best song as decided by many different Countries and Joe Public. Take it back to its grass roots again and shelve the shock tactics or whatever. Make it all about the singing and songs.

Probably because our entrant is a gay guy,
Is he? I'd never have guessed. ;) But that aside, Eurovision is 'gay', and if it's not, it does a very good impression. :p Not an overfan of the song. Listen once, that'll do me. I heard Bambie 3 times ;) But I am surprised no public voted for it.

But regardless of who is all but last to last, I don't like seeing anyone with 0 points.

This may make me unpopular, but I wish someone had put a warning that Graham Norton was compering, I expected it to be Ryland like the semis.
Graham may be verging on the OTT of it all, but I like him and / or Scott Mills compering. But isn't Graham the 'new' Terry, to all intents and purposes? (Not just coz they share a country.)

I confess that I haven't watched it for years. For me it's getting less about music and more about politics and statements. And if a singer is gay we don't need graphic demonstrations to show this (spoiler alert, there have been gay singers around for decades). I know it's hugely popular but it's not for me these days.

Graham may be verging on the OTT of it all, but I like him and / or Scott Mills compering. But isn't Graham the 'new' Terry, to all intents and purposes? (Not just coz they share a country.)
I used to love Terry Wogan's wry humour, and the bits I've seen of Graham Norton tells me that his commentary is in a similar, irreverent style. However I accept that Norton's style may not be everybody's cup of tea.

I confess that I haven't watched it for years. For me it's getting less about music and more about politics and statements. And if a singer is gay we don't need graphic demonstrations to show this (spoiler alert, there have been gay singers around for decades). I know it's hugely popular but it's not for me these days.
Yup. Regardless of what the rules say, it's a very political show. So and so give their neighbours more points and their 'enemies' (figuratively) less. And sexuality of singers is really immaterial, especially in a show like Eurovision ;)

Now I'm curious, I may have to check the BBC Iplayer!
I can't access that. I can never remember the password :p But now you're making me doubt myself, but I'd swear he did. Coz it's bordering horror. About hexes and wax dolls (the video on YouTube).

Terrible. Raving how wonderful the Irish song is and getting the name wrong. Bambie, not Barbie :p Go on, shut me up and look at the youtube video ;)

I liked the Ireland entry. I'm glad it scored highly. It's nice to see atypical and varied acts do well, while the usual sexy acts involving the singer and/or dancers wearing very little and singing mediocre songs didn't. Even with the public.

If I'm honest it's gotten far too big for my liking, too much build up, too many countries in it, a big production in the interval and almost the same amount of time spent on getting the results in as the contest itself. I preferred the Eurovisions of old when there was about 12 countries participating, and you could enjoy it for a couple of hours with a bag of popcorn and a bottle of coke!
The musical in the intro/intermission performed by the presenters going through the history of Eurovision was one of the best things on the night. Inventive creative, well written.

Apparently the UK entry was supposed to be a spaceship going through the galaxy. Not a lavatory. No, me neither.

Disagree that the winner was a good song. Well performed, staged, but not great/memorable.

I didn't watch it all, just went through the songs and highlights. Very few were songs you'd find in the clubs, charts or on an album. Most just had a beat and the crews jigging to it with a repetitive mantra. They're not real songs, just gimmicks. With a few notable exceptions.

It'll take me ages to find the one I like from years back that I still remember, I'll have to trawl back through the archives; you won't know it and I've probably overpraised it, but it was a song and not a cheap gimmicky set.

Guessing I have different tastes if Lordi and that abysmal UK schoolgirls and fake rapper entry posted by stratobuddy passes for decent songs. Swoosh (airline)and all those tacky ones are the problem. Yes they are fun, but they are a joke, tacky, appeal to the audience but not the experts or the Euro public at large.

Latest posts

Back