Attention New TV Shopping Channel Seen on TV Launching 10am Wednesday 12th June

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Simon-Iles

Registered Shopper
New TV Shopping Channel Seen on TV Launching 10am Wednesday 12th June - Sky 682, Freeview 79, Freesat 814 - live 10am till 10pm everyday

Attachments

• Promo launch channel numbers .mov
    14.4 MB
New TV Shopping Channel Seen on TV Launching 10am Wednesday 12th June - Sky 682, Freeview 79, Freesat 814 - live 10am till 10pm everyday
Wow. @Simon-Iles Please explain the rationale for yet another TV shopping channel these days. Are they profitable in these days of internet shopping and online comparison, reviews and purchases?
What's the USP with this one?
Good luck, anyway.

If it has Deeeeeeennice and Paul B presenting, I'll be watching every single minute, they're greeeeeeeeat!!!

I can guarantee you one thing, and I mean guarantee 100%.

There will be nothing new, nothing fresh. It will simply be another variant of Shop on TV and IW ;)

Milk it while you can. It’s a dying market (literally). Older people not very internet skilled and in a mindset where they believe whatever the nice lady or gentleman on the shaky picture tells them. When that target audience is gone there won’t be one to replace it. Younger people don’t and won’t shop like it’s 1975.

Do we know if Seen on TV is getting its own sub-forum on here?

Wonder what they'll sell. I imagine it'll be wall-to-wall kitchen crap from "the big brand of Piranha"?

Plus those weak-ass Beldray cordless vacs demoed (struggling to) pick up light debris like air molecules, and some Rugdoctor demos clearing away "years of ground in dirt" (aka wet coffee, applied 2 hours before), and the biggest Selly Telly Con of them all Blue Magic™.

Simon was often (pretending) to be the "brand ambassador" for those lot on IW2 and Shop Extra RIP.

Last edited:
Same stuff the rest of them do, I suspect. His branded kitchen stuff, cleaning gear, watches NOT from the high street, the usual turgid merry go round of over-hyped gear focused towards the price unconscious. My Name is Den with her “I must buy this NOW” routine, Becque with his screeching noises and his tacky double entendres. Is it fair to predict this is what it is likely to be? Probably, yes. I mean…What else could it be?

Milk it while you can. It’s a dying market (literally). Older people not very internet skilled and in a mindset where they believe whatever the nice lady or gentleman on the shaky picture tells them. When that target audience is gone there won’t be one to replace it. Younger people don’t and won’t shop like it’s 1975.
It's interesting - and I don't want to generalise across the board - but I've come across a number of older people who are fascinated by, and extremely skilled, at using computers - for example, two local organisations I've worked with in the past year have people in their mid to late eighties making a fantastic job of keeping websites up to date, entering and retrieving data - and a lot of very technical stuff - and they know much more than I do about computers generally. And these are not people whose previous jobs involved computers, they've made up their mind to learn in their later years. But on the other hand, I also know other folk who are 20-25 years younger than this and won't go near computers - with zero wish to learn.

But I do think the shopping channels are very much living on borrowed time. The whole model is outmoded now - I think people want to go on a website, find what they want and do a bit of their own research before they order. Do they want all the "theatrical performances"? All the long boring lectures beforehand? All the plugging of next week's schedule? No, I don't think they do, and they haven't got time to sit watching a load of carp being flogged until an item finally appears that they might be interested in. As for tuning in because they think of the presenters as members of their family and want to send them birthday and Christmas cards, no, I don't think that's going to happen, either.

But it’s not even aired yet. Please feel free to call people out on their nonsense, I’m fully aware of the rubbish on TV, but at least give people a chance.

Quite true Bendy, but also: can you blame our cynicism?

Simon Iles has form in doing dodgy demos of cleaning products/items, pretending he's cleaning off ground in/worn in dirt/grime that isn't. When people who buy the product on the basis of his demo ask him "why don't I get those results?" or "how do I get those results?" he doesn't answer.

Denice is a consummate presenter, and an icon of shopping TV but… Boy does she exaggerate and overhype the most mundane tat regardless of what it is. Add in her irritating pretence that she wants to buy/has bought one/ten for her/her family… It belies a contempt for the viewer.

Paul is a capable presenter. He's quite down to earth. His success in other avenues is testament to his skills. But on Shopping TV he's just as prone to being ridiculous as Denice.

Tim Britton… I won't go there in case he sues.

Mark Ryes is perhaps the least irritating of the lot, but he's very… beige.

In all likelihood Seen on TV® is not going to be selling anything that hasn't been sold 100 times before, and it won't be selling it in a new, honest, genuine manner, or with fresh new faces. Even the studio set was pulled from the skip after Shop Extra shut down.

Same hackneyed products, same scruples-lite presenters, same old same old.

Last edited:
It has its own sub forum, and I’ve started a General Banter thread.

Like I say in the opening post, Even though we’ve seen the presenters before, I’d like to think we can begin with a clean slate

There wasn't when I asked if there was, hence asking. 👍

Latest posts

Back