Australian Bodycare TSV 15/4/15

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I ordered it last night. It`s one of the few things I still buy from Q and my oldest son is a great fan of it so no doubt he`ll cadge one of the bodywashes. I wanted to try the body lotion because I`m a natural born target for every biting insect and during the warmer months when I`m out with the dog I`m regularly chewed to bits by horse flies or midges. I have sensitive skin so I`m loathe to use insecticidal sprays or lotions so I`m hoping the body lotion might help fend off the little buggers. On holiday there can be several of us sitting around a table but I`ll be the one who`se targeted by the mossies. If the body lotion helps then I`ll buy another bottle to take away with me. Fingers crossed.

thats the only thing i dont think i will like the body lotion. i like quite rich nice scented ones l'occitane for example but hey!

Think I might too CMQ. Still galls me having to pay £6 postage, but it is good value I suppose isn't it?

The postage is what's putting me off, takes the total to over £40, which feels a lot of money. However ithe skinwash really is the only thing that gets rid of the little bumps and spots on my back. So I've ordered it on advanced orders, gives me a couple of weeks to change my mind!

Mine`s been shipped today. I don`t buy much from Q these days but I always think the ABC tsv`s are good value but admit the p and p is too much. The skinwash lasts ages and I have the peace of mind knowing it won`t cause any adverse reaction. I`ve binned or given away many a bottle of shower stuff because it makes me itch and that`s all money wasted. Sometimes satisfaction is worth paying for.

They're saying the refill pack is £32, I must be seeing things because it was on the website for £20 the other month..........oh we'll never mind, I've gone on advanced orders anyway, I use mine quicker cos I don't use a scrunchie, just pump away and wash............ooh er misses!! :mysmilie_17:

Does the body cream really keep mossies at bay? I hate the smell of deet and want something else to take away that's more natural.
Have it on advance orders but not sure??

Does the body cream really keep mossies at bay? I hate the smell of deet and want something else to take away that's more natural.

Hi mollymoo, I'm a practice nurse and part of my job is providing travel health advice and vaccinations. Deet spray is by far the most effective, evidence based insect repellent out there. There is no peer reviewed evidence that natural products are as effective as deet, or even effective at all in bite prophylaxis. If you are travelling to a malaria or dengue fever affected country you really are running the risk of catching these diseases if you use these "natural alternatives". Some people will swear by tea tree oil, but there is no evidence of its efficacy in bite prophylaxis and these people who say it works for them may well just be the lucky ones who seem to attract less insect bites anyway, it's a phenomenon we don't yet understand. Eucalyptus oil may be an alternative if you really don't want to use deet-containing products, but it's efficacy is much less than Deet-containing products. See fitfortravel for advice http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/advi...insect-bite-avoidance.aspx#choosingrepellents

Has a claim been made on air that the body cream is a mosquito repellent? I get very cross when I hear these claims about creams and lotions. A mosquito bite can be fatal in malarious countries and for tv and salespeople to say these medically untested products can prevent insect bites is extremely worrying.

Last edited:
Thank you for an excellent reply.
I've not heard them talk about it on tv but have read that people use this to help being bitten. We don't go to a malaria area but they love biting me.
I'll look on the site you mentioned, I suffer from bad headaches and the deet we took last year set them off!

No it doesn't repel mossies or body odour. You still need deodorant and extra showers to keep the sweat away in my opinion. I do like showering with it though because it does give the feeling of freshness at the time, and I do love the smell although that is down to personal taste.

Thank you for an excellent reply.
I've not heard them talk about it on tv but have read that people use this to help being bitten. We don't go to a malaria area but they love biting me.
I'll look on the site you mentioned, I suffer from bad headaches and the deet we took last year set them off!

My pleasure. Some people just seem so much more prone to bites than others. There's some excellent advice on avoidance in the second website I posted. Sorry to hear Deet set off your headaches, that's not unheard of. You could try a lower percentage Deet to see if you can tolerate that more easily, and I always recommend to my patients that they apply it and try it before they go on holiday so they know if it irritates them or not before they travel. Nothing worse than getting to your destination and finding the sunscreen or insect repellant you've brought with you reacts with your skin/gives you headaches etc!

tea tree never works for me. now citronella did for a while but last year i went to the carribean and i was bitten alive. i will be using deet now. has the formulation changed in the last 1--12 years

I get eaten alive in this country let alone abroad. I hate the warmer months because I walk my very active labrador everyday, she needs lots of free running to burn her energy and the horse flies and midges make a meal of me yet Deet reacts badly on my uber sensitive skin. When a horse fly bites me it itches for days and days and is sore for well over a week. It`s miserable.

I get eaten alive in this country let alone abroad. I hate the warmer months because I walk my very active labrador everyday, she needs lots of free running to burn her energy and the horse flies and midges make a meal of me yet Deet reacts badly on my uber sensitive skin. When a horse fly bites me it itches for days and days and is sore for well over a week. It`s miserable.
I'm the same Vienna. I get bitten in my back garden as there is a containerised stream running at the back of the garden. I have had a bite have made my ankle swell so much that I could not walk on it.
I was recently picking wild asparagus near the beach in Tunis. I got bitten all over my back through my tshirt whilst the 3 people I was with had no bites at all grrrrhhh! I have been very careful in malaria zones to both take the relevant malaria tablets and cover myself with Deet.

Not claiming it is better than deet or making any medical claims at all but I have heard that all insects hate Avon skin so soft dry oil body spray. Is this true? I have some and I may use it and dab some tea tree oil on for good measure! To be fair the midges don't think I taste very nice. My mum however suffers terribly in the spring/summer months.

Latest posts

Back