Babyliss volume Pik hair styler

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

dollydimple

Registered Shopper
Did anyone see this demonstrated? I was hoping for a video on the website but none forthcoming :( drat!

It was new today apparently and I can't find any info on google about it. Just wondering what it does and whether it is worth keeping my advance order open, for delivery w/c 16th December.

http://www.qvcuk.com/BaByliss-Volume-Pik-Hair-Styling-Tool.product.400515.html?sc=

I saw it on the 4pm show , its only for short hair (bobs or shorter), its mainly for adding volume to the root area, the demo was good on the model whos hair was a shortish bob and it did add volume to her layers but I do wonder if the model had products in her hair and the heat of this tool helped with the volume.

I saw it on the 4pm show , its only for short hair (bobs or shorter), its mainly for adding volume to the root area, the demo was good on the model whos hair was a shortish bob and it did add volume to her layers but I do wonder if the model had products in her hair and the heat of this tool helped with the volume.

Thanks for the info. Does it have any grip or bristles around the 'rod' part do you know and does it blow hot air or just heat up? My hair is quite fine so I'm not sure if this will work for me. I can see me cancelling the order. I do wish they would put the videos up.

Last edited:
It blows hot air and the concept isn't as new as they said because I had a gizmo like this years ago - it has a circular arrangement of thin prongs or fingers so you can lift the root and hold for root lift, then glide through to the ends. I've ordered one to try even though me hair is long I'm confident I can get the root lift and then just pull out the prongs if it won't glide through to the ends smoothly. I'll report back when I've tried it. Root lift only lasts a day before the weight of the hair pulls it flat so I think this might add to my armery of products and gadgets to stop it looking flat.

At 9am they said it was a QVC exclusive (maybe we're guinea pigs to see whether it's worth a full launch in other outlets!).

Thanks for the info. Does it have any grip or bristles around the 'rod' part do you know and does it blow hot hair or just heat up? My hair is quite fine so I'm not sure if this will work for me. I can see me cancelling the order. I do wish they would put the videos up.

It Blows air so you use it on damp or towel dried hair they said, It has three settings Cool, Medium and High. By how they demonstrated it, nothing grips your hair you just take a section and run it between the "piks".

I think its going to be one of them items that people will either love or hate. The models hair did look good when they had finished but it was a professional hair dresser (Beverly) using it on her so I would hope it would look good. Beverly said you can also use it to give flicks to hair, but they were very subtle so it is mainly just for adding volume to the hair. Im pretty sure they said it was only available on Qvc atm so I doubt you will find much info on it elsewhere.

I saw the demo during the 4 p.m. show DD and was very impressed although I do appreciate that it was being used by a professional hairdresser! My hair cut and length is virtually the same as the model who was in the studio and as I struggle to use a brush and hairdryer together I decided to go on advanced orders. As always, I'm hoping this one will be THE gadget to solve all my hair drying/styling problems as I can't add anymore to the pile lurking in the bottom of the wardrobe.....GHD straighteners (probably going to sell them!) and Babyliss Big Hair (smaller barrel) to name just a few!

Yes, I also have a stash of hair appliances that always seem to be the answer to my hair problems... until I get the item home, try it and have to start on my quest again. I do like my Babyliss Big Hair, though.
You never know, this might just be 'The One' for me, too. I missed both presentations and only saw it when having a quick browse on line late afternoon. It was on advanced orders, then shortly afterwards, went on waitlist so I just about scraped in with my order.
Thanks all for your input.

Finally tried my Babyliss Volume Pik thingumy and I think it's a keeper. My hair is longer than they recommend for this gadget but knowing my own hair fairly well I was confident that I could use it to lift the roots. All I did was dry the lengths and ends and when it was almost done I use the pik to lift and kink the roots, I could then slide the prongs down the hair shaft but if your hair is thicker than mine you could also just pull the comb part out (the opposite direction to the way it went in iykwim). I just kept parting my hair and repeating (not in a very consistent way) until it was all done. I quick mist of hairspray and 10 hours later it's still looking good.

I would say that the lowest heat setting was pretty hot, that close to my scalp, I wouldn't fancy trying the higher setting.

Thanks for the update Akimbo. Mine won't be shipped until 16th December then I can have a play with it. I was a bit worried when I saw a poor review on line yesterday so you have reassured me. I can always return if it doesn't suit, good old 30 day mbg :)

Ohoh, just seen several more reviews online...at least it has gone up a star to 2 star now

I also remember having something that looked almost identical to this, around 1990! I remember really liking it, but this was before straighteners etc became popular.

Next day update: I was planning to revive my hair this morning with a spritz of Ojon Revitalizing Mist and use the Pik to lift the roots. My hair being longer than shoulder length the weight (even though it's fine) tends to drag it flat. Well it's still kinky at the roots so all I did this morning was brush the ends and fringe and it still looks presentable. I may have found the lazy girls' perfect combination of hair products: Wen so I only need wash once or twice a week, my £12 Lidl hair dryer to blast it 85% dry, (Babyliss Big hair if I want to curve the ends) and Pik the roots. From start of drying to finish with hairspray - about 15 minutes! :mysmilie_59:

I'd say that if you're able to comb your wet hair with a wide comb (or afro comb) then you could use this on longer hair without tangling, but as I said before you don't have to glide the Pik through the full lengths, for the underneath of my hair I was just inserting to the roots, slightly turn (less than 90 degree turn) to kink the roots and then remove the same way it went in.

Latest posts

Back