Birchwood - First Visit Impressions

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

lawrenson

Registered Shopper
Hi,

Like many people on here who don’t live near a QVC outlet, I have always wondered what they were like.

So I was really excited when over Christmas we were visiting family nearby, and I actually managed to get a quick visit to the Birchwood shop!

First impressions were that it was in a small, run-down shopping centre.

The shop itself is quite large, but some shelves were nearly empty, whilst other were crammed full with goods.
There were piles of boxes in places, with no indication as to what was in them.

Anyhow, always game for a good rummage, in I went.

There was a “shoes and handbags” event on that day, which meant these were all half price or less.

The biggest surprise was how much Northern Nights there was. Absolutely loads of it. When I looked closer, this wasn’t surprising, as it was quite expensive. The couple of sets I looked at had been about £100 on the TV, but were now reduced to £75.

On the whole, the prices were very mixed. Some stuff seemed really overpriced, but other items were quite cheap.

In the end, I bought a pair of shortish emus for £34 (from over £100), and a purple centigrade shearling coat for £9.70 (from over £50).

The outlet is obviously one of those places you have to go very regularly to get lots of really good bargains.

I had been hoping for a Lulu Guinness handbag, but that was not to be.

However, if passing, I will deffo call again!

Cheers,
Karen

I haven't been for 3 years but sounds much the same to me. I went for the craft stuff but it was very hit and miss.
Lots of jumbled up stuff all the same items number where the same price regardless of how much stuff was still left in the package and some of them were near empty.

Lots of clothes like a jumble sale and shoes people were diving on. Electrics were not for me because I live in n.Ireland I would have no way to return them if they broke.

That said I would call again if I was passing just in case I miss something.lol

I don't live far from the Birchwood outlet and pop in quite regularly and whilst I've picked up some good bargains there from time to time I always overhear people comparing it unfavourably to the Shrewsbury outlet where apparently there is a much better choice of items and they are well displaled and better priced. Birchwood can look a bit like a jumble sale at times and you have to be prepared to have a good old rummage!

I have been to both. Shrewsbury is much better in my opinion but it can still be very hit and miss. This time of year is never a good time to go as they stock take at the end jan and they run all the stock down. I would assume after the end if the extended money back guarantee they must have more stock. You just need to go at the right time and be lucky. And of course be prepared for a good rummage.

Also the prices on the items is rarely the price of the item - usually they have an extra half price or 25% off most things so although they seem expensive they are not actually when you get to the till. Especially northern nights. I have had some great bargains.

I go to Birchwood quite often and I was there yesterday . I like it very much . You never know what you are going to find there . I like that it's possible to try on shoes or coats etc , often avoiding the need to send things back . Clothing appears to be jumbled up but is sorted out on racks according to sizes . It's not sorted out according to designers like at Shrewsbury .
At Birchwood they still have some Lulu Guiness bags in at the moment , displayed in the jewellery section . I got one for my daughter's Xmas present three weeks ago and she's delighted with it. I'm a Kipling fan myself so don't go for those personally but I couldn't afford to at the full price anyhow !!!
I've been to the Shrewsbury shop just once . Although it's more spacious and possibly better organised I didn't really find that I got more or better bargains there on that occasion.

One of the best things about the outlets is the 30 day mbg with no P&P !!! However there are the travelling costs .

I have been to both. Shrewsbury is much better in my opinion but it can still be very hit and miss. This time of year is never a good time to go as they stock take at the end jan and they run all the stock down. I would assume after the end if the extended money back guarantee they must have more stock. You just need to go at the right time and be lucky. And of course be prepared for a good rummage.

Also the prices on the items is rarely the price of the item - usually they have an extra half price or 25% off most things so although they seem expensive they are not actually when you get to the till. Especially northern nights. I have had some great bargains.

I was told that instead Shrewsbury kept full stock last January, so maybe worth checking with them if planning to visit as they will be taking all the deliveries.

Where EXACTLY IS Birchwood ?? I take it its on the west side of the country, like Shrewsbury, and not far from Liverpool. A lot of the outlet 'villages' like Bicester are also located in that general direction. Us over here in the east (and south) lose out geographically to finding bargains. There was an outlet on the A1 at Hatfield for one of the auction channels end of lines, but thats closed now. Perhaps the companies who decide where to put these bargain hotspots feel that we in the south east are better off and have no need for outlets - er, joke !!!!!!

Where EXACTLY IS Birchwood ?? I take it its on the west side of the country, like Shrewsbury, and not far from Liverpool. A lot of the outlet 'villages' like Bicester are also located in that general direction. Us over here in the east (and south) lose out geographically to finding bargains. There was an outlet on the A1 at Hatfield for one of the auction channels end of lines, but thats closed now. Perhaps the companies who decide where to put these bargain hotspots feel that we in the south east are better off and have no need for outlets - er, joke !!!!!!

It's not at an outlet village Brissles, just in an ordinary, relatively small, shopping centre. It's just outside Warrington. The area itself is called Birchwood, as is the shopping centre.
http://www.birchwoodshoppingcentre.co.uk/
HTH.

Latest posts

Back