Catherine Huntley in today's Daily Mirror

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't read the Mirror, Sun or the Star.

Me neither. Especially never read the Daily Mail!

Good for Catherine, being so disciplined. I hope she keeps it off. A few weeks back she looked very thin indeed, but I think she's put a bit of weight back on in the last few weeks so looks more 'average' now.
I will be interested to learn more about the method when it's on QVC in January :)

my interpretation of her tips...

Do the detox for two weeks. This helps to cleanse the body and get rid of toxins – kick-starting your weight loss.
Stop the wine totally, and going out with the girls
Get at least seven hours of sleep a night. Research has shown a link between lack of sleep and weight gain, so get as much shuteye as possible.
This works because whilst asleep you cannot eat!
Drink plenty of water. Being hydrated is essential for good health, weight loss and helps curb your appetite.
If you enjoy using public loo's every hour and avoiding funny (laugh hard) situations, go ahead...
Cut out caffeine. It can affect your insulin levels, making you crave sugar after the initial stimulation has worn off.
Go to work looking and feeling dead
using natural sweeteners instead, such as Xylitol, Stevia
Not only do these have a sugar spike, you get the added surprise of the runs
Plan meals and workouts.
Easy if you're a single female. Not too easy when DH and young kids demand a cupboard full of quick snacks, man sized pies and sweeties always at hand in the kitchen
Do exercise you enjoy three times a week.
Enjoy? Really? 3 times? ummm
Relax and focus on you. Stress affects the levels of stress hormone cortisol, triggering overeating. Yoga or meditation are great for stress too
If your a QVC presenter, dont read critique posts on ST!!

Me neither. Especially never read the Daily Mail!

Good for Catherine, being so disciplined. I hope she keeps it off. A few weeks back she looked very thin indeed, but I think she's put a bit of weight back on in the last few weeks so looks more 'average' now.
I will be interested to learn more about the method when it's on QVC in January :)

Ah, the Daily Mail! Looool! It's a fun paper. I love Jan Moir (although I don't always agree with her politics, her writing is superb). The Daily Express is another one, a strange paper, really. On the front page there is always a crazy health story ie. "Eating 1 blueberry a week prolongs your life by 20 years.....that's according to some research conducted on 1 person sponsored by the Swedish Blueberry Growers' Association, or Vote UKIP to rid the UK of all immigrants who are inherently evil."
I actually quite like the Express in a way. It's very quaint.

I think Cath Huntley should shovel a few Thorntons chocs down her, particularly the caramels that go so well with her voice that is akin to being drowned in a giant tin of Lyle's Golden Syrup!

It is a good way of eating. A lot of people are able to stick with it too.

I wish people would face the reality, and the simplicity, of the equation - less food in, more energy out! Unfortunately, it's a mental problem; one most of us probably experience at least once in our lives. I have about a stone to lose. I know I need to exercise more (fallen off the wagon since been ill/Mr MK's op etc) but I am just too bone idle at the moment!! I compensate by keeping my food intake down, which has stopped me gaining even a pound.

Like I say, it's psychological. And there's no shame in that, no shame at all. I just can't cope with excuses. Eat less, exercise more. It really is that simple.

In theory the equation is very simple I agree. But that's just the physiology of it - and also doesn't account for the various issues such as hormonal imbalances and other illnesses which can affect one's weight and so in many cases. However as you say yourself the thing that stops so many people losing or maintaining a healthy weight is psychological.... And that is not at all the same as making excuses.. With a background in clinical psychology, I have worked with countless people for whom the equation of calorific input vs energy output is not the whole story, and not just people with mental health problems. On a personal level, I battled with anorexia for many years during my teens and indeed very nearly died as a result... That started as a simple diet for me and combined with self esteem issues and other 'stuff' became a living hell.

Sorry didn't mean to rant! Just a subject very close to my heart and prob overly sensitive... ;) I know there are plenty of people who are simply over-eating and too lazy to exercise. But I also know that for very many more, it really is not at all that simple at all!

In theory the equation is very simple I agree. But that's just the physiology of it - and also doesn't account for the various issues such as hormonal imbalances and other illnesses which can affect one's weight and so in many cases. However as you say yourself the thing that stops so many people losing or maintaining a healthy weight is psychological.... And that is not at all the same as making excuses.. With a background in clinical psychology, I have worked with countless people for whom the equation of calorific input vs energy output is not the whole story, and not just people with mental health problems. On a personal level, I battled with anorexia for many years during my teens and indeed very nearly died as a result... That started as a simple diet for me and combined with self esteem issues and other 'stuff' became a living hell.

Sorry didn't mean to rant! Just a subject very close to my heart and prob overly sensitive... ;) I know there are plenty of people who are simply over-eating and too lazy to exercise. But I also know that for very many more, it really is not at all that simple at all!

Apologies TLL, I was over - generalising there. I did mean the people with no medical issues. I know it's not that easy for some, but for the average Joe on the street who makes feeble excuses, it is! Hope you're fully recovered and back to good health now :)

Joy a size 16, no way!!!!! She is at least a size 20 for sure. The thing is no woman in the public eye/media is over a size 16 no matter what the size they really are.

I remember online in the Mail, some put a link up on another forum to an article about Dawn French. It stated clearly she was a size 20+, yet a few hours later the same article had been amended to she was a size 16!!! Caused no end of humour, as no doubt her publicist had been on and give them hell to change it. Dawn at that time was very heavy.

The normal healthy human needs to eat less sugar and fats and move more. The slower you lose the weight the longer it stays off. I remember back in the 80s you had to eat only 600 calories a day on a diet, now the professionals say 1000 for a woman.

Just wondered - is this the new "f" word or why don't we say "fat" any more?

Joy a size 16, no way!!!!! She is at least a size 20 for sure. The thing is no woman in the public eye/media is over a size 16 no matter what the size they really are.

I remember online in the Mail, some put a link up on another forum to an article about Dawn French. It stated clearly she was a size 20+, yet a few hours later the same article had been amended to she was a size 16!!! Caused no end of humour, as no doubt her publicist had been on and give them hell to change it. Dawn at that time was very heavy.

The normal healthy human needs to eat less sugar and fats and move more. The slower you lose the weight the longer it stays off. I remember back in the 80s you had to eat only 600 calories a day on a diet, now the
professionals say 1000 for a woman.

In a similar vein, I have to chuckle when I read in various womens magazines about 'ordinary' ladies who have lost varying amounts of weight. I KNOW before I even reach that part in the article that gives their starting dress size, that it will be a 22 !!!!! I look at the photos of these ladies and unless they are all 5'2 then there is no way they are that size !

How do I know ? well, I'm 5'8 and a size 20/22 and ok I've got slim legs, (which certainly helps with the illusion of looking thinner), but most of the "size 22" ladies in those magazine photographs would NEVER fit into the clothes in my wardrobe !

The normal healthy human needs to eat less sugar and fats and move more. The slower you lose the weight the longer it stays off. I remember back in the 80s you had to eat only 600 calories a day on a diet, now the professionals say 1000 for a woman.

I am a 14/16 which means that in the summer when I am eating mega healthly and walking a lot I am a comfortable 14 and a 12 if the sizing is not too skimpy but in the winter when I tend to eat more and walk less I would nudge up to a 16 especially after Christmas.

When they come on and say Joy is a 16 I want to go and put my head in the oven as they is no way I would consider myself anything like as big as her and she must have a good 10inches in height on me!

Her chesticles alone would take up my entire allocation of material.

Chuntley is far thinner than me in pre weight loss photos which is why I say she was never a true 16.

Well done to Catherine, she has tried sooo many things in the past...remember the DC challenge when it first came on Q. Hope she keeps it up, even with diet and exercise, does seem quite a weight loss in such a short time though.

The article was interesting, although found it strange telling you in week 1 to avoid Bananas (Lots of sugar content, even in a small piece) then further down in the menu plan amongst the Breakfast was a strawberry and banana smoothie...how does that work then?? :mysmilie_506:

Loved the 80s! Was such a brilliant decade! Wish we could have the 80s back now.

Latest posts

Back