Cost of living? Not on QVC

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If I was thinking of spending that amount on a ring, I wouldn’t be buying it from a shopping channel! It would cost a fortune to return, as it would have to be insured. Didn’t like it much anyway, far too big, wouldn’t sit comfortably on the hand.

Their prices have been rising for the past few years. They stretched the easy pays which allows them to do it.Marla and Kim are the obvious ones.
I just bought a jumper in Tesco reduced to a tenner . It’s OK for a winter top and not too different from some on Q for forty quid or more.

Its the christmas buts n bobs that get me. You can go into the big high street supermarkets and get the same items for a lot less money. £40.00 £50.00 for a light up ornament. For a lot of people that will be thier entire budget for thier Christmas dinner.

We have done this before over the postage QVC charge, and it comes down to the same answer as said on this post. If numerous people stopped buying then QVC might have a rethink, but it will take thousands to just stop buying and that is not happening.

There are two very high-end jewellers here in Belfast, gorgeous rings etc. Oh, and most are nowhere near £8,000 in price, high-grade diamond rings usually £5,000 at most.

If I was thinking of spending that amount on a ring, I wouldn’t be buying it from a shopping channel! It would cost a fortune to return, as it would have to be insured. Didn’t like it much anyway, far too big, wouldn’t sit comfortably on the hand.
Me neither, I'd expect to be sat down and given the "royal treatment" as it's brought out to me on a velvet cushion for my inspection, and of course I'd want to try it on too. A couple of things have tickled me and that's the £5.95 p&p (they've been known to charge that amount to deliver items of clothing/costume jewellery) and the "easy" pays of more than 2k!
Horrible ring imvho, ok if you're into the Liberace look I guess, but there's nowt as strange as folk. One would think that anyone with that amount of cash to splash wouldn't go near a shopping channel, but they'd only need a handful of oddballs to bite (and they're out there), and kerr-ching, that hour has harvested more than 2 hours of anything else!

I suppose it’s always difficult to understand why people spend money on something you have absolutely no interest in. I‘m gobsmacked when I hear of people going to the World Cup as it must run in to several thousands for 1 person, it’s not as if it’s a family holiday plus you probably would see as much at home on the TV albeit without the atmosphere but a couple of friends and food would go a long way to injecting some life into it.

If I wanted to buy a diamond ring costing thousands then I certainly wouldn`t buy it from QVC. I know they offer easy pays but many jewellers would allow you to lay by items and pay them off over a period of time. The only difference is the jeweller would keep your item until you`d paid for it. Plus I`d want to try various rings and feel the weight , examine the stones, admire it in a mirror and then make a choice or even design my own and have it specially made for me.
My days of buying very expensive jewellery have gone. When I was working full time I did treat myself usually once a year to something special but now I`m retired and I already have more rings than I`d ever wear, those days have gone. Nowadays I may buy the odd silver item or a good quality piece of costume jewellery but certainly nothing costing thousands. My recent buy is a silver bracelet from Rachel Galley website and it was discounted for Black Friday plus I got another 25% off it using a voucher code and have paid for most of it with some money one of my sons has given me ahead of my birthday. It was out of stock for a long while and I`ve been waiting for it to return so I`m well chuffed I finally managed to get it and at a discounted price.

I’m the same Vienna. When working I used to get something special, usually on holiday, and enjoyed wearing something different every day. During covid I wore nothing as I didn’t go anywhere and was uneasy using hand sanitizer on gemstone rings. Now I’m semi retired I just don’t have the same opportunity to wear it.

However during a clear out I sorted out my jewellery and “found” some lovely pieces so am enjoying giving them an outing.

To be fair to Q I bought a lot of unusual items at reasonable prices back in the day when we took annual leave on jewellery days however apart from LR as presents and the odd bit of Eek I haven’t bought jewellery from Q in years .

I suppose it’s always difficult to understand why people spend money on something you have absolutely no interest in. I‘m gobsmacked when I hear of people going to the World Cup as it must run in to several thousands for 1 person, it’s not as if it’s a family holiday plus you probably would see as much at home on the TV albeit without the atmosphere but a couple of friends and food would go a long way to injecting some life into it.
I agree, but it's the handbag/shoe obsession that I can't get my head around, and jewellery that people often wear all at once, so the impact of a stunning piece gets lost. There's a lady at work who's heavily into "gold" and I get that being in a workplace that doesn't allow one to wear what they call "ostentatious" or a lot of jewellery that she'd want to make the most of it on a night out or holiday. Unfortunately when she's dressed up in all her regalia, she looks like a Mr T tribute act. I do get people spending a lot of money to "be there" at the world cup, the atomsphere, the sights and sounds of a foreign country, the crack, but then I don't get why anyone would spend top dollar to go to a stadium gig unless it's a really good seat. A couple of friends spent a small fortune on tickets to see Diana Ross earlier in the year, they were at the back of the highest tier in the auditorium and ended up watching most of the action on a screen anyway because she was a distant dot, then had the devil's own work trying to get home because of train cancellations - not my idea of fun!

Not my idea of fun shopping with QVC,slow refunds that take a lifetime to be sorted out,overpriced food,overpriced fashion,and slop,presented by smug people,who think it’s great to sell crap.
Dont get me started about the tech guy in a wig,many words said but no information given,harsh but fair assessment in 2022.
Cost of living(crisis)not on QVC until people wake up.

I think that QVC think that they’re helping their customers by having all these EZPays all the time. Maybe they should realise that it’s just luring people in to buy something that they don’t really want and that it could cause financial issues in the coming months. With the coldest period in the year fast approaching, I shudder to think how many EZPays will go out each month, when people are buying everything using that option, while the fuel bills come in thick and fast.

If customers researched a bit more then they’d realise that the same products can be found elsewhere and are often cheaper, have free delivery and faster refunds.

I think if i compare QVC with supermarkets - QVC (think) they are Waitrose and the other shopping channels are Lidl/Aldi I think. They seem to be trying to attract the type of customer who doesn’t need to ask prices - they are so rich they buy what they want regardless of cost. How long/if QVC survives who knows but I’m buying more and more from IW - good brands,great prices,flexi pay,capped p&p and free returns via Asda.The items of fashion I have bought I’ve been impressed with quality,value and their packaging doesn’t include plastic,everything is recyclable - a big bonus.

QVC started pushing the ultra expensive brands and because of easy pay, loads of customers went Oh! I, too, can have a dyson hair styler/hairdryer, a kitchen aid mixer, £200+ handbags and shoes. They see the z celebs have them TOWIE etc, and now they too can have all this too. The old monkey see, and the others want that too. QVC are giving it to them because of easy pay.

Latest posts

Back