Cringe!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I guess that this is your opinion, and I agree, I don't think Lee was meaning to slag anyone off in his original comments, or for anyone to be upset. But this is just how I have perceived and interpreted his comments, and I appreciate and understand that others have read and perceived them differently, have been offended or upset, and I was trying to explain this alternate perception in my post above.

As I said earlier, it was something completely seperate that I became upset about, which I have addressed and am leaving there.

I think we all have to accept that some have been upset, and that everyone has the right to reply whether they agree or disagree with comments. We cannot simply tell people not to be offended because of our own interpretation of posts. I am a Samaritan in my spare time, and a huge thing that we learn is to never give advice. Advice is always based on our own experiences, on our own opinions, on our own values and on our own circumstances and will always be what would be best for US in a similar situation. We simply cannot know whether this advice is the best thing for another person who we don't really know. This is surely very similar.

A very sensible post PR, mine was not aimed at you nor would I be so rude as to tell people what to be, or not be offended over, however sometimes I find to throw in an alternative interpretation or perception of what someone has written does help illuminate another angle. It has happened to me many times over, an issue can get clouded by people fuelling the original arguement with one sided comments, somewhat increasing the fire.

This was even true with a reaction to one of your posts in this thread, you made, what I took as a very witty joke to lighten the atmosphere and this was misunderstood along the way too. Again, just my opinion and due to my memory span similar to a goldfish I can't even remember what it was now :mysmilie_697:

From how I read it, Lee was NOT calling the caller's cringe worthy - he was merely stating that some of the conversations between the presenter (s) and callers was a bit cringe worthy - you know the awkward silences, and scratching around to find a common ground to raise a conversation on! Oh come on, how many of your forumers have remarked about the people who ring in live on QVC???? Quite a few I would say - personally speaking, i would not ring up a jewellery channel and speak live on air - i know i would be a complete prannet!

Oh by the way, just like when Matt McNamara rang me the day he left Gems tv - to thank me for my text - I was so gob smacked that he rang me, that I completely waffled on like a total wally - I bet to Matt, I sounded like I had lost my trolley.

Besides which I have raised this issue before - as with texting, and emails, post on forums, you cant see or hear that person talking to you, and you just read and interpret it as to how you see it - I have read, and re-read his posting, and I didnt jump to any erroneous assumptions - he was just making an observation. The fact is, rather than stay on air with technical problems, because they couldnt actually sell anything, they should have come off air albeit for a few hours.

From how I read it, Lee was NOT calling the caller's cringe worthy - he was merely stating that some of the conversations between the presenter (s) and callers was a bit cringe worthy - you know the awkward silences, and scratching around to find a common ground to raise a conversation on! Oh come on, how many of your forumers have remarked about the people who ring in live on QVC???? Quite a few I would say - personally speaking, i would not ring up a jewellery channel and speak live on air - i know i would be a complete prannet!

Oh by the way, just like when Matt McNamara rang me the day he left Gems tv - to thank me for my text - I was so gob smacked that he rang me, that I completely waffled on like a total wally - I bet to Matt, I sounded like I had lost my trolley.

Besides which I have raised this issue before - as with texting, and emails, post on forums, you cant see or hear that person talking to you, and you just read and interpret it as to how you see it - I have read, and re-read his posting, and I didnt jump to any erroneous assumptions - he was just making an observation. The fact is, rather than stay on air with technical problems, because they couldnt actually sell anything, they should have come off air albeit for a few hours.

The technical problems have only stopped auctions for a few minutes at a time so coming off air would make absolutely no business sense whatsoever. If they go off air, they lose their ENTIRE audience, and have to start from scratch afterwards. By using the calls as a filler, some people may switch over, but by and large they will maintain both their web and TV audiences.

The calls also act as free marketing for them as the callers make positive comments about the company at no cost to either party - absolute genius really when you think about it! Who are you going to listen to more that a company is good, their slick adverts, or people who have actually used them and have had a good experience with them?? I can absolutely see why both Rocks and QVC and any other channel that chooses to do it, would include these calls in their programming.

Last edited:
I can absolutely see why both Rocks and QVC and any other channel that chooses to do it, would include these calls in their programming.

So can I but sadly on all channels they make me turn over, not sure why just can't watch them.

Thats a shame really graham as on your first live radio show you were practically begging people to ring in and air their thoughts about shopping telly with you.

I am not offended by people talking live on air. Yes, some calls do go better than others, some people just manage to convey their feelings / opinions better than others. Stage fright must happen in some cases! I think it is a privilege to be able to speak to the director of a company and love that Rocks are so open to the whole process. How many other companies are so interactive? Anyway, it is always nice to be able to put a voice to somebody who you only know via the chat room, where there is no sound. Hope the customers continue to go on air to sing Rocks praises :)

Inge x

Thats a shame really graham as on your first live radio show you were practically begging people to ring in and air their thoughts about shopping telly with you.

Your right, and that is one of the reasons we decided to not continue with the shows.

I am in no way having a go at any channel for taking calls or for any of the brave people who call in, just not my cup of tea, just an opinion.

:mysmilie_697: Note to self dont look through the threads whilst drinkin a mug of tea and a sticky bun that mentions Argey and gem encrusted pink thingys !!!!! OUCH ! cough and splutter...................

How do you drink a sticky bun:mysmilie_740: I've always choked when I tried:mysmilie_697:

There was a woman on last night, who rang in to speak to Steve, he couldn't get a word in edgewise. She was thrilled with her purchases and couldn't stop laughing, it was hilarious.

There was a woman on last night, who rang in to speak to Steve, he couldn't get a word in edgewise. She was thrilled with her purchases and couldn't stop laughing, it was hilarious.

I saw that too, Paula. Think her name was Violet..she was fab! :mysmilie_61:

Latest posts

Back