Silver Jewellery

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Marietta

Registered Shopper
Like most people on this forum, I would not like to see Gemporia close down, but a lot needs to change for it to continue.
There are many issues that need attention at the moment, but the lack of good quality stones, set in sterling silver, needs to be addressed. Back in the day, beautiful un-enhanced stones such as Peridot, Amethyst, Topaz, white Quartz etc. were set in silver, the rings having good substantial bands and NO tatty gold plating! I bought lots of silver jewellery, including a full suite of Peridot, which was beautiful and very affordable. Would that happen today? I don't think so. Too much so-called gold plating, what's the point of it anyway? Many people prefer silver jewellery & those who want gold, would prefer to buy the real thing. By the way, whatever happened to the much lauded Rajasthan Garnet? Again, a lovely stone, plenty of it, & always set in silver. Some of these stones are actually semi-precious, the 9k and 18k gold settings should, in my opinion, be used mainly for Rubies, Emeralds, Diamonds etc. - the more expensive gemstones.
With the introduction of setting semi-precious stones in gold, the affordability for which Gemporia were famous, suddenly took a dive. The gold bands got thinner & thinner over time (anyone care for a nice piece of gold wire?)
Gemporia, please get back to basics, & please listen to your customers. We want to see the company continue, but not as it is.

I'm hating all the gold tone stuff too, there have been several pieces that I would have considered if it wasn't for the horrid yellow gold coating. I did see something on the FB group about a treatment you can get to take it off, but it all sounds like a faff to me. They should go back to what they are good at. I have some great Rajasthan garnets from days of old.

Gemporia's overreliance on gold vermeil, plating and tone/flash has probably lost them custom. Especially on pieces that the presenters and buyers all desperately describe as "heirloom" quality.

I would definitely be embarrassed if my family legacy was to have bought shedloads of very tatty and overpriced pieces that are probably nowhere near the values Gemporia's presenters hinted very strongly that they intrinsically held.

Latest posts

Back