Dave the jadeite man

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Such a relief to have a break from Jade. Really enjoyed Toby's showcases this morning. Even if you are not in the market for Cavill and Co, it was such a pleasure to see and hear about such
beautiful gemstones. I know Toby is there to sell but personally I find him so much more engaging than Dave and Jake. Plus he does not shout or look as though he is about to cry at the torture of what he is 'giving away' .... (Dave) Please Gemporia keep the variety going whether that is price points, gemstones or designs.
I too don't mind Toby. He's nowhere near as hard sell as the other two, and he's not as big headed either. He's the most genuine of the 3.

I wouldn't trust Jake or Dave whatsoever.

I too don't mind Toby. He's nowhere near as hard sell as the other two, and he's not as big headed either. He's the most genuine of the 3.

Sorry but Jake in particular behaves as though he could just as easily be selling a plated set of 'genuine silver' cutlery down 1980s Peckham market 😂

I don't trust any of them. They're there to flog Gemporia's goods. It's what they're paid for by the company. None of them are in any way unbiased.

These days I am more interested in seeing what the presenters and buyers (Not gem investors. Definitely not. Even if some of them apparently have/had that job title) will be doing and saying to get viewers to part with their cash.

It's like watching a real life Hustle in action 😏

And if Gemporia tells me that today is Sunday, then I have to check it on my phone before I'll believe them.

I don't trust any of them. They're there to flog Gemporia's goods. It's what they're paid for by the company. None of them are in any way unbiased.

These days I am more interested in seeing what the presenters and buyers (Not gem investors. Definitely not. Even if some of them apparently have/had that job title) will be doing and saying to get viewers to part with their cash.

It's like watching a real life Hustle in action 😏

And if Gemporia tells me that today is Sunday, then I have to check it on my phone before I'll believe them.
I agree completely, I wouldn't say I trust any of the presenters either, but I guess that's ok if a piece of jewellery appeals and it lives up to my expectations when I receive it ... or I know I can return it without having to wait weeks for a refund. I find some presenters more engaging/informative to watch than others particularly those who just shout and repeat the same stock phrases pantomime style. I like to think I make purchases because I like the item, not because I have been pressured, but it can be a fine line and I do worry about those customers who buy in to the whole Gemporia family or 'legacy' marketing ploy, encouraging spend on items they do not really want or can afford.

Last edited:
I agree completely, I wouldn't say I trust any of the presenters either, but I guess that's ok if a piece of jewellery appeals and it lives up to my expectations when I receive it ... or I know I can return it without having to wait weeks for a refund. I find some presenters more engaging/informative to watch than others particularly those who just shout and repeat the same stock phrases pantomime style. I like to think I make purchases because I like the item, not because I have been pressured, but it can be a fine line and I do worry about those customers who buy in to the whole Gemporia family or 'legacy' marketing ploy, encouraging spend on items they do not really want or can afford.
I think that the Gemporia sales model at the moment is to employ a combination of total boredom (the buyers' 30 mins+ opening drone), time pressure (the random use of clocks and constant exclamations of remaining stock) and the presenters' rapid-fire and very loud demands to "Buy now or miss out!!!" (To get the viewers reacting emotionally instead of logically) mixed with the highly emotive declarations of "legacy pieces" and "family heirlooms" (many people might find it difficult to justify spending on themselves, but the implication that the purchases may appreciate in value AND will benefit the family, not just the buyer makes spending easier to justify).

I don't think that any of the current presenters or buyers tell the audience anything near the information a potential buyer would require to make an informed decision to buy.

The constant jiggling of prices and whether price pledges still exist or not. What gem treatments are relevant to the jewellery on air, and the stability of them.

What "Midas", "gold tone" and "gold flash" mean, and how long can customers expect such treatments to last with normal wear.

IMO the presenters give us very very little information on their goods. And legally, I am very sure that it's not up to the customer to go searching out such information because the seller refuses to provide it when offering items for sale

Especially when that seller is also making a huge palaver about its ongoing mission to educate viewers on gems and jewellery

I think that the Gemporia sales model at the moment is to employ a combination of total boredom (the buyers' 30 mins+ opening drone), time pressure (the random use of clocks and constant exclamations of remaining stock) and the presenters' rapid-fire and very loud demands to "Buy now or miss out!!!" (To get the viewers reacting emotionally instead of logically) mixed with the highly emotive declarations of "legacy pieces" and "family heirlooms" (many people might find it difficult to justify spending on themselves, but the implication that the purchases may appreciate in value AND will benefit the family, not just the buyer makes spending easier to justify).

I don't think that any of the current presenters or buyers tell the audience anything near the information a potential buyer would require to make an informed decision to buy.

The constant jiggling of prices and whether price pledges still exist or not. What gem treatments are relevant to the jewellery on air, and the stability of them.

What "Midas", "gold tone" and "gold flash" mean, and how long can customers expect such treatments to last with normal wear.

IMO the presenters give us very very little information on their goods. And legally, I am very sure that it's not up to the customer to go searching out such information because the seller refuses to provide it when offering items for sale

Especially when that seller is also making a huge palaver about its ongoing mission to educate viewers on gems and jewellery
Agree with all of the above and you can argue that remote selling demands a higher level of information provided to consumers compared with purchasing in store when you can feel and see the dimensions and quality of what you are buying. Remote selling is of benefit in cutting costs for consumers, but Gemporia could certainly do way much more to provide an informative and engaging selling experience especially when competing for business at a time when disposable income is under pressure.

Agree with all of the above and you can argue that remote selling demands a higher level of information provided to consumers compared with purchasing in store when you can feel and see the dimensions and quality of what you are buying. Remote selling is of benefit in cutting costs for consumers, but Gemporia could certainly do way much more to provide an informative and engaging selling experience especially when competing for business at a time when disposable income is under pressure.
Which is probably why nearly every piece of jewellery now gets described as an "heirloom" piece. It's far easier to say no to something being peddled as a treat for yourself in these unsettled times. But something being pitched as a canny buy that could *possibly* be worth so much more in the future? And that can be passed down to your family after you've died? How can you possibly say no to something that's strongly implied to make your family a lot more than you have spent?

It's the fact that we get all this smoke and mirrors, misdirection and obfuscation and no real information on anything that puts me off buying from this company. If they can't give me the truth and full details on their cheap, low-priced items, then how can I possibly trust them with their more expensive wares?

Jake is a bit scary. He reminds me of someone who is superficially charming, but in fact follows the principle "it's business, nothing personal". Nice guy with a predatory gaze. Authoritative towards the audience, as well as domineering towards the presenters, producers and directors. He may be cold and despotic behind the scenes.

Jake is a bit scary. He reminds me of someone who is superficially charming, but in fact follows the principle "it's business, nothing personal". Nice guy with a predatory gaze. Authoritative towards the audience, as well as domineering towards the presenters, producers and directors. He may be cold and despotic behind the scenes.
Goodness you read my mind .. pretty much my assessment too !

Something that confuses me is the "we're only taking confirmations" line. If I add something to my basket and don't check it out, the stock level doesn't go down. I can take it out and put it back in and the counter still shows the same number.

Something else to watch out for is that I'm seeing presenters talking about things selling out in the morning, but when the repeat comes around there's lots of stock left if the stock numbers shown are any indication. I don't think they're always honest about how many pieces are being sold, it's just to give you a final push if you are sitting on the fence. That wasn't something I caught until they started doing replays.

To be fair, he probably makes amazing breakfasts and pancakes. All that Little Chef training can't have just gone to waste.

I suspect that many of those in front of the cameras aren't really all that nice when behind the scenes. You have to have a very high level of self confidence to get in front of that camera to start with. And with time, along with adulation from the viewers, that's bound to get to people's heads. Self-confidence can become arrogance.

Add to that the fact that many of the presenters and buyers have been caught using ruses and tricks to get people to buy. Not to mention in the occasional outright fib and a constant omission of information about what's actually for sale. I think that after a while, you stop seeing the public as people. They're just names on a screen or in texts. They're not really real, just some thing to give you money and keep your job safe.

Something that confuses me is the "we're only taking confirmations" line. If I add something to my basket and don't check it out, the stock level doesn't go down. I can take it out and put it back in and the counter still shows the same number.

Something else to watch out for is that I'm seeing presenters talking about things selling out in the morning, but when the repeat comes around there's lots of stock left if the stock numbers shown are any indication. I don't think they're always honest about how many pieces are being sold, it's just to give you a final push if you are sitting on the fence. That wasn't something I caught until they started doing replays.
They're possibly allocated so many for each show, so even if Jess or Lindsey sell out their allocated stock in full, Kate or Lynn will have theirs to sell in the afternoon

Or it may be due to the sales that don't go through in the earlier show. It's my understanding that orders aren't fully processed until after midnight, so people have until then to cancel before the order goes on to be picked out, packed and shipped out. Though I may be wrong about that

They're possibly allocated so many for each show, so even if Jess or Lindsey sell out their allocated stock in full, Kate or Lynn will have theirs to sell in the afternoon

Or it may be due to the sales that don't go through in the earlier show. It's my understanding that orders aren't fully processed until after midnight, so people have until then to cancel before the order goes on to be picked out, packed and shipped out. Though I may be wrong about that
People can cancel before midnight, but it doesn't make sense for there to be stock allocated to a replay that the company wouldn't simply rather sell out. And pieces said to be nearly sold out that have double digit quantities means a lot of cancellations same day. It's possible that the stock levels are out of date, but I believe they probably exaggerate that pieces are selling out sometimes to create a sense of urgency.

People can cancel before midnight, but it doesn't make sense for there to be stock allocated to a replay that the company wouldn't simply rather sell out. And pieces said to be nearly sold out that have double digit quantities means a lot of cancellations same day. It's possible that the stock levels are out of date, but I believe they probably exaggerate that pieces are selling out sometimes to create a sense of urgency.
I agree with you that presenters may be exaggerating how much stock has been sold to create time pressure and get viewers buying out of panic.

But that doesn't match up to Gemporia's self-described ethos of ethical selling. After all, if the items are of good quality and customers can make an informed decision to buy, why is there a need to push them into purchasing?

After all, customers purchasing having all available facts must be less likely to return goods and request refunds. Also, I can't see high end jewellers telling their customers that they only have 30 seconds to decide to buy. Or that prices will be going up in the next hour, or next day.

Gemporia isn't designed for people to take their time on deciding how to spend their money, and being very sure about what they want before purchasing. It's all about buying items on very little information, and being rushed into spending money without having the chance to think things through.

That's fine if you're just wanting to treat yourself to something inconsequential. Something really cheap and cheerful. But once you start getting into the hundreds of pounds it seems very risky.

As for stock allocation: nobody can guess in advance what is going to sell well. Which is why, as you said, sales may be exaggerated to try and get more people buying.

Spreading stock around the day's shifts can help catch more people, such as those who missed the earlier presentation due to work, doing the school run etc. Or those who only follow certain presenters and may have missed the previous presentation.

Last edited:
I agree with you that presenters may be exaggerating how much stock has been sold to create time pressure and get viewers buying out of panic.

But that doesn't match up to Gemporia's self-described ethos of ethical selling. After all, if the items are of good quality and customers can make an informed decision to buy, why is there a need to push them into purchasing?

After all, customers purchasing having all available facts must be less likely to return goods and request refunds. Also, I can't see high end jewellers telling their customers that they only have 30 seconds to decide to buy. Or that prices will be going up in the next hour, or next day.

Gemporia isn't designed for people to take their time on deciding how to spend their money, and being very sure about what they want before purchasing. It's all about buying items on very little information, and being rushed into spending money without having the chance to think things through.

That's fine if you're just wanting to treat yourself to something inconsequential. Something really cheap and cheerful. But once you start getting into the hundreds of pounds it seems very risky.

What I like about TJC is that if an item doesn't sell, their frustration can be quite evident. Sometimes a design isn't popular and they grudgingly move on. With Gemporia, they could be selling a silver pendant in the shape of a dog turd and it would be "flying out of the front door" because there are "so many of you there." I still find the severed bunny head hilarious. I wonder if they are still selling them.

They definitely do not have a model which gives people time to think. Buy it already, Sotheby's is standing by to make a bid if you won't! Think about your grandchildren living off gruel and working down the pits because you didn't buy! Charlie in Devon has just bought 830 of these, so proud of you Charlie!

To be fair, he probably makes amazing breakfasts and pancakes. All that Little Chef training can't have just gone to waste.

I suspect that many of those in front of the cameras aren't really all that nice when behind the scenes. You have to have a very high level of self confidence to get in front of that camera to start with. And with time, along with adulation from the viewers, that's bound to get to people's heads. Self-confidence can become arrogance.

Add to that the fact that many of the presenters and buyers have been caught using ruses and tricks to get people to buy. Not to mention in the occasional outright fib and a constant omission of information about what's actually for sale. I think that after a while, you stop seeing the public as people. They're just names on a screen or in texts. They're not really real, just some thing to give you money and keep your job safe.
Spot on. Angelina and Lynn Jinks for starters

As for stock allocation: nobody can guess in advance what is going to sell well. Which is why, as you said, sales may be exaggerated to try and get more people buying.

Spreading stock around the day's shifts can help catch more people, such as those who missed the earlier presentation due to work, doing the school run etc. Or those who only follow certain presenters and may have missed the previous presentation.
Ethical ????

Spot on. Angelina and Lynn Jinks for starters
Angeline and Lynn seem to use similar tactics to get inside customers heads .. 'this is a beautiful, would look great with that maxi dress, don't you think?' and somehow their 'warmth' and smiles are quite cold 😕

Angeline and Lynn seem to use similar tactics to get inside customers heads .. 'this is a beautiful, would look great with that maxi dress, don't you think?' and somehow their 'warmth' and smiles are quite cold 😕
Couldn't agree more

Endless Jade. For heaven's sake, stop it Gemporia and send Dave on a very long holiday.

So what has Steve actually changed, except for re-sizing being back, and quicker refunds. What have I missed? Has there been other changes?
Perhaps send Dave off to Brazil to track down the Minas Giraffe kunzite that Hattie with her weird pronunciation refers to 😁

Latest posts

Back