Diamond Weekend

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It's Diamond weekend on Gemporia throughout Friday, Saturday and Sunday - so, naturally, Dave Troth is on three times today selling.................. Jadeite.

How many tonnes of this s**t did they buy? It's never ending.
I've just looked the website, there's now a Jadeite Collection tab. It's a couple of pages of bangles pendants and rings- there's even some Lavender Jade items for around £30, in gold tone.

He was on Gem Collector this evening extolling the virtues of Jadeite carvings for an RRP of £15k, that had a small area of Lavender - I couldn't see it. Emily was very diplomatic about the jadeite but didn't look too pleased to have him there, especially when he talked over her a few times.

It looks like he's bought suitcases of it and is trying to shift it any way he can. He could give Camden Market a try.

Oh God. Hours of I3, grey, single cut shockers. I briefly saw Jess big up an "industry-changing announcement by Jake" yesterday. I wonder what that could be?!

As for the jade - meh. I wonder what happened about that Birmingham Assay Office Type B assessment of a Gemporia-certified Type A?

He was on Gem Collector this evening extolling the virtues of Jadeite carvings for an RRP of £15k, that had a small area of Lavender - I couldn't see it. Emily was very diplomatic about the jadeite but didn't look too pleased to have him there, especially when he talked over her a few times.
I saw that. An hour of diamonds, followed by an hour of jade turned me off. Meant to tune in for the blue lace agate but missed it. I wasn't expecting anything more than bog standard cabs though and you can get beautiful agate carvings elsewhere.

Troff is waffling on yet again about pink diamonds but sleekly glosses over the fact that all of the info he’s been reading from is referring to larger sized diamonds. I know that all the diamonds will be very small and as pretty as they are they’re not valuable at all.I would also like to have more precious metals on my rings than they usually provide people with.First ring had only 1.4 grams, nine diamonds and was £499 ! I can’t quite believe how expensive I find that, wow.

Troff is waffling on yet again about pink diamonds but sleekly glosses over the fact that all of the info he’s been reading from is referring to larger sized diamonds. I know that all the diamonds will be very small and as pretty as they are they’re not valuable at all.I would also like to have more precious metals on my rings than they usually provide people with.First ring had only 1.4 grams, nine diamonds and was £499 ! I can’t quite believe how expensive I find that, wow.
I agree. Two major changes over the last few years, which I have noticed:

a) Gold weight has crashed. It had been declining gradually but now it's just silly. This makes their designs almost unwearable. As durable as 9K alloy is, as most of that weight will be in the setting for a lot of their designs, this will mean that the band is prone to snapping and/or warping. Local jewellers may legitimately refuse to re-size without an additional premium to cover their insurance.

b) While they've added higher clarity diamonds to their range, the stones are small - even melee size. This really does affect the ability to disperse, in my unscientific opinion. I tried one of their SI Russian rings a couple of years ago to see (nice, wearable cluster design). As good as the colour and clarity were certified to be, the cluster just didn't perform in either the strongest sunlight or indoor led. I was also very surprised to see, on Jeff's stint last night, an SI grade ring set with single cut diamonds! I wouldn't have spotted it except for the fact that it must have surprised Jeff too - he had to correct himself when he saw his chart. A total new one on me because I thought that a 17 facet, single cut was the most basic, inexpensive shape that was used for included stones.

I've been dipping in and out all weekend and I agree with you Ostrichkeeper, the prices they are charging for bog standard I3 diamonds is ****** ridiculous. There have been some nice designs but light on the gold and to hear the way they're being described ..... well you all know how they love giving you family heirlooms.

I think she has been partaking of the facial aesthetics, if you check out the old Christmas advert from 2016 on YouTube, she is looks quite a lot different. I quite liked that one as it was really cheesy and funny and even though its a while ago now, the others look the same

Troff is waffling on yet again about pink diamonds

ALL of their pink diamonds barely have any noticeable pink hues - and they ALWAYS set pink diamonds into rose gold. I am convinced that they do this because they know that the diamonds barely have any colour - and the colour from the rose gold will shine through to make them look pinker than they actually are.

I have NEVER seen their pink diamonds set into gold, white gold or silver..........

I hate they show everything in the light box for ages. I was waiting and waiting to see two diamond stacking rings on Angeline and at last the camera goes to her but she instantly takes them off!

After his pink diamonds he muscles in with his damn jadeite again fgs! Switched it off.
I was watching her doing a platinum SI graded diamond ring. It looked absolutely fabulous in the light box and then I saw it on her hand and it looked like a different ring. It was as dull as dishwater, totally dreadful and there is no doubt in my mind that there will be returns.

ALL of their pink diamonds barely have any noticeable pink hues - and they ALWAYS set pink diamonds into rose gold. I am convinced that they do this because they know that the diamonds barely have any colour - and the colour from the rose gold will shine through to make them look pinker than they actually are.

I have NEVER seen their pink diamonds set into gold, white gold or silver..........
I can confirm that most of the colour definitely comes from the rose gold. I returned every pink diamond piece I purchased from them, admittedly that was back during Lockdown, but I doubt that anything has changed.

I was watching her doing a platinum SI graded diamond ring. It looked absolutely fabulous in the light box and then I saw it on her hand and it looked like a different ring. It was as dull as dishwater, totally dreadful and there is no doubt in my mind that there will be returns.
That is true of so many of their pieces, even the coloured stones are very different on the hand as opposed to the shots in the light box.

No Jeff this weekend, at all, so Jess Foley on the repeats spouting the cr*p diamond cartel BS about some rough diamond import embargo in India 🙄.

And I really don't understand this hoohah over lab diamond prices "crashing". This is old news. Serious investors have been following the trends for years, trying to work out if there's any value to be had in the lab diamond market. The conclusions that I've seen say none - guaranteed loss, every time.

The industry is trying to shore up the "value" (all credit to Jess Foley - I am plagiarising her use of the word) by implying some form of ethics. That also seems to be BS. It's akin to saying that Roger Casement's execution for treason by hanging was more ethical than Mary, Queen of Scots' by beheading.

Never, ever to CZ for sure but, if you want a sparkly, dispersive synthesised gem, why not just get a Moissanite? The copyright has expired and prices for it, set in good wearable designs, are much more affordable these days.

Latest posts

Back