Fading Colour

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
At the beginning of March I wrote to Lola Rose detailing how the pink and pale blue stones on one of their necklaces - bought last year, are now almost transparent, having lost their colour. I don't keep my jewellery in direct sunlight, I don't wear 'pieces' continually so they can't 'wear out', and I rarely use perfume or hair spray.

A reply came a couple of days later, "we're very sorry ...... etc etc' and they asked me to send a photograph. Which I did. I have now had to send another email asking what the outcome was, so I'm not impressed that I'm having to chase them up. Their products are far from 'cheap', so I'm going to be like a dog with a bone on this one. Its actually a lovely necklace, - a small stoned one with just one main colour stone in the middle, and sits nicely at my throat.

At the beginning of March I wrote to Lola Rose detailing how the pink and pale blue stones on one of their necklaces - bought last year, are now almost transparent, having lost their colour. I don't keep my jewellery in direct sunlight, I don't wear 'pieces' continually so they can't 'wear out', and I rarely use perfume or hair spray.

A reply came a couple of days later, "we're very sorry ...... etc etc' and they asked me to send a photograph. Which I did. I have now had to send another email asking what the outcome was, so I'm not impressed that I'm having to chase them up. Their products are far from 'cheap', so I'm going to be like a dog with a bone on this one. Its actually a lovely necklace, - a small stoned one with just one main colour stone in the middle, and sits nicely at my throat.
I think we had a thread before where forumites were sharing their experiences of loss of colour on LR items. I'm sorruly I can't link to it.
LR jewellery isn't cheap, and for the price you would think they'd find a way to prevent this colour loss!

Lets us know what the outcome is Brissles. Lola Rose is not cheap to buy, and their customer services are quite poor from my experience.

I think we had a thread before where forumites were sharing their experiences of loss of colour on LR items. I'm sorruly I can't link to it.
LR jewellery isn't cheap, and for the price you would think they'd find a way to preven

I see SCW has posted the link to the thread I posted in January about the self same thing. Got nowhere with either LR or QVC so I have decided I wont buy any more items from LR.

I see SCW has posted the link to the thread I posted in January about the self same thing. Got nowhere with either LR or QVC so I have decided I wont buy any more items from LR.
Did Lola Rose respond to you at all Puffin?

Did Lola Rose respond to you at all Puffin?
yes

Hello Susan,

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment. Our pieces are died to achieve a certain colour and finish so fading can happen over time therefore we advise our customers to keep them away from perfumes, creams and water.

Kind regards,

my reply

Well to say I am unimpressed with your reply would be an understatement. Firstly I would like to point out to you that you spell dyed - d y e d - not died.

I think you are trying to put the blame on me for my bracelet losing colour I would like to point out that I take every care with my pieces from Lola Rose and have never experienced a piece fading like this one. Not once have I ever heard Nikki or her assistant say that pieces can fade over a period of time. In fact Nikki has said on many occasions that she would like her pieces to last a life time. Perhaps it should be mentioned that there is a chance of a dyed piece fading in the future. If I had known, I wouldnt have bought the bracelet. I am now left with a nearly white bracelet which I will never wear again. I am also concerned that the necklace will go the same way.

I understand that Nikki is no longer a director of the company so this might explain your attitude to my complaint. Under the circumstances I will not be purchasing any more of your products.

yes

Hello Susan,

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment. Our pieces are died to achieve a certain colour and finish so fading can happen over time therefore we advise our customers to keep them away from perfumes, creams and water.

Kind regards,

my reply

Well to say I am unimpressed with your reply would be an understatement. Firstly I would like to point out to you that you spell dyed - d y e d - not died.

I think you are trying to put the blame on me for my bracelet losing colour I would like to point out that I take every care with my pieces from Lola Rose and have never experienced a piece fading like this one. Not once have I ever heard Nikki or her assistant say that pieces can fade over a period of time. In fact Nikki has said on many occasions that she would like her pieces to last a life time. Perhaps it should be mentioned that there is a chance of a dyed piece fading in the future. If I had known, I wouldnt have bought the bracelet. I am now left with a nearly white bracelet which I will never wear again. I am also concerned that the necklace will go the same way.

I understand that Nikki is no longer a director of the company so this might explain your attitude to my complaint. Under the circumstances I will not be purchasing any more of your products.
Talk about washing their hands of the matter! That's very poor and not the image Lola Rose tries to portray. They should have offered a refund. I've never heard them say their jewellery may fade. I've had a couple do that years ago, and ended up binning them.

Talk about washing their hands of the matter! That's very poor and not the image Lola Rose tries to portray. They should have offered a refund. I've never heard them say their jewellery may fade. I've had a couple do that years ago, and ended up binning them.
I complained to QVC as well and they said they were sorry but it was too late to give a refund. I asked them to ensure that Nicki and Anna make it clear that this could happen to dyed items. The fact that I dont watch their shows any more, I am not sure if they do this but I very much doubt it. Its money under false pretences in my opinion.

You could try that. Martin Lewis has quite a bit on consumer law on his MSE site.

I have had luck with QVC by stating I'd have to get Trading Standards involved if they didn't help me with a return (a pan that had lost the non-stick within weeks. Many other customers had left poor reviews about the same pan). After that threat, they told me to keep the pan and refunded me in full.

Sorry I haven't been any more help but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck.

AE I did try the Trading Standard route many years ago when qvc were selling Blueberry quartz as a mined gem, and failed to mention that it was dyed. It worked, because Charlie Brook presented the next full show of Blueberry Q and made a big deal on air as to the face that it was a dyed gem. So it can be done.

AE I did try the Trading Standard route many years ago when qvc were selling Blueberry quartz as a mined gem, and failed to mention that it was dyed. It worked, because Charlie Brook presented the next full show of Blueberry Q and made a big deal on air as to the face that it was a dyed gem. So it can be done.
Years ago it seemed like every other show on Q was Blueberry Quartz. I was sick of seeing it in the end but I had no idea that it was a dyed stone. I had assumed it would be heat treated but I'm a bit shocked by that to be honest.

I remember Nikki saying on a show a few years ago to beware of fake Lola Rose items as the quality was not as good as theirs a few days later in the supermarket I saw a semi precious bracelet with silver beads much like a LR which was on sale for £5 took a punt bought it and....... Years later it's still like new!!!!!! I've bought LR with silver beads perviously and a few weeks later it looks awful. Copper or brass showing through the silver. I keep my jewellery in an anti tanish mirror that has storage.
I've also had LR dyed items that have faded one was a rock crystal bracelet with grey through its now completely clear a pink bracelet which is now white. Also a cherry quartzite bracelet that wasn't stated as being dyed that was a rich cherry colour which is now a muddy pink colour and the silver beads look like brass!
Haven't bought LR in a long time because if this.

Blueberry Quartz. Now I remember QVC at one point saying it was amethyst which was given an extra treatment to get the colour.

Gemporia were selling it yesterday in 9ct gold with diamonds.

I have a small 9ct white gold ring I bought in clearance long ago. Bought it because amethyst is my birth stone, and it was a different version of it.

Last edited:
Then of course there were the individual shows of Russian Diopside (a fab green colour), cognac diamonds, fire opal (orange clear stone), citrines, every colour of sapphire imaginable, emeralds and rubies - although these were very cloudy versions rather than the sparkling varieties, amethyst, tourmalines, and my all time favourite stone...... aquamarine, my Santa Maria ring would cost a fortune now compared to the price I paid 16 years ago.

These were shows that were worth watching, and where presenters did the job on their own generally, without some young and screechy BA waving their false nails about.

I have a Russian Diopside ring 5 stone and people used to ask if it was emeralds?

QVC used to say the mine in Siberia was closed most of the year and a man and his dog guarded it.

I have a small Santa Maria 9ct gold ring the stone is small, but the colour is gorgeous, also a pendant in 18ct white gold beautiful I got that for half price in the BBC event years back.

Latest posts

Back