Fashion Fridays

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well, was it the case that yesterday was an unofficial Fashion Thursday? Because we had two hours of fashion, just like in the day supposedly allocated to it. Slightly random! I watched a bit today. The only thing exciting was trying to see if they could keep a straight face while selling some really awful pieces. There was these kaftan thingies.... I will have nightmares with those for sure

Well, was it the case that yesterday was an unofficial Fashion Thursday? Because we had two hours of fashion, just like in the day supposedly allocated to it. Slightly random! I watched a bit today. The only thing exciting was trying to see if they could keep a straight face while selling some really awful pieces. There was these kaftan thingies.... I will have nightmares with those for sure
Angeline announced it just before 12.00 and I think this is going to be a regular thing. She seemed very pleased with herself and this groundbreaking idea. An idea that QVC have been doing for about twenty years. I didn’t watch any of it, tbh, as I’d seen enough kaftans and scarves in the ten minutes I caught with Ellis and Hattie yesterday. It really irritates me that they are encouraging people of all ages shapes and sizes to buy this tat, because obviously it will suit everyone. I bet Ellis wouldn’t be caught dead in any of those pieces.

Surely Steve Bennett must recognise that continuing to devalue his brand by flogging more and more market stall tat must devalue his brand to the point where it joins the rest of the jumble sale channels?

I have to out myself here and say that I have never bought from a shopping channel, I use them as background noise - but when I first came across Gems TV as it was then. I was sucked in by the 'we are serious gem experts here, all highly qualified. Look at us intrepidly exploring the planet to bring you exclusive treasures!'.

I love jewellery and I could have been swayed to start purchasing but for the old fashioned designs and the fact that you were unlikely to get the piece on the screen - after all who walks in to a jeweller, tries something on and then on purchasing, accepts a different piece that you haven't seen? but I almost got caught up in the Tanzanite hysteria, and then...
I started seeing Janey (his sister??) peddling bits of nonsense with the frailest nod to the jewellery connection (tiny bits of stones in candles? - why?) and then shouty, over-made up young women, flogging unknown brands of make-up and cheap scarves; only fleeting sights of jewellery on the hand or neckline with no reference to the clarity of diamonds - or bits of stone you might pick up on the beach, set in thin silver, being lauded as exciting and rare, and men in suits patronising the presenters and banging on for hours about exclusive gems which it was easy to google - were not exclusive at all - and as for the Cavills and CBD!!. It's as if SB's mates or family go to him with whatever bit of junk they have thought up and he says 'no probs, stick it on my channel'.

IMO Gems has totally lost its way and this latest side-step into cheap clothes is just the latest dumbing down.

My sister in law, who has watched Gemporia for a few years, says that she is astonished by the lack of quality or appeal of the jewellery currently presented on air. She said they went from genuine gemstones to products redolent of custom jewellery. She mentioned a vanadinite drusy as something that shocked her for the low standards. The website seems to basically sell whatever people returned and little else. She has basically stopped watching and this is surprising because she was quite the fan! The candles, clothes and make up also fail to hold my interest. They seem overpriced and as you say market stall tat. The brand identity of the channel is changing dramatically. It will be interesting the see what the future holds for them.

They are definitely doing more and more non-jewellery stuff. I remember watching Loen do Friday fashion on Ideal World years ago, so its nothing new. Just how many scarves do they think people need?! I thought those long cowboy poncho things yesterday were hideous. I have heard people on here wondering if they are running out of jewellery to sell, but I think it might be true

I am with you, Brighthunter: they were hideous! Hilariously so! Ever since they removed the daytime wheels of deals, I have noticed a decline in the quantity and variety of gemstones on display. If you pay attention, they seem to have procured them from a very small pool, inasmuch as I keep seeing the same jewellery pieces being showcased over and over again. There was a pink diamond ring my mother liked but didn't buy because she was afraid the stones would be white and also because the gold weight was absurd. In two weeks, I have seen that ring about 10 times and I am not watching 24 hours a day!

I am with you, Brighthunter: they were hideous! Hilariously so! Ever since they removed the daytime wheels of deals, I have noticed a decline in the quantity and variety of gemstones on display. If you pay attention, they seem to have procured them from a very small pool, inasmuch as I keep seeing the same jewellery pieces being showcased over and over again. There was a pink diamond ring my mother liked but didn't buy because she was afraid the stones would be white and also because the gold weight was absurd. In two weeks, I have seen that ring about 10 times and I am not watching 24 hours a day!
I’ve noticed the same things over and over again recently, too. I doubt that they are running out of jewellery, I think they are just trying to reach a wider audience. As with scarves, there must be a finite amount of lightweight gold rings with tiny stones that people need! On that note I see we will be treated to ‘Flourish’, a gardening show with Amelia. More cheap that from China, I expect.

Speaking of how many rings one needs, the presenters keep urging people to buy jewellery to "put in the present drawer". I didn't even know that was a thing before starting to watch Gemporia. Do you have a presents' drawer?

Speaking of how many rings one needs, the presenters keep urging people to buy jewellery to "put in the present drawer". I didn't even know that was a thing before starting to watch Gemporia. Do you have a presents' drawer?
I have to admit, I do, and have had one for years. And tbh, during the pandemic, I was pleased that I had, as I was able send a small gift every now and again to friends I couldn’t get to see. It’s the encouragement to ‘stack’ things-rings, chains etc that winds me up 🤣🤣

I have asked around.... Apparently, everyone has gift drawers but me! I am clearly missing out as everyone tells me they are wonderfully useful.
I just love how Gemporia harnesses every little thing to push a hard sell, however. If you don't want it for yourself buy it as a present. If you don't need to buy it as a present because you don't have anyone to give it to right now, buy it to put it in your gift drawer. It's genius! I wish I had their hard selling techniques when I worked in retail many decades ago

I used to have a present wardrobe, well I put stuff in the bottom of the wardrobe Xmas and birthday presents. Then used to forget what I bought and bought something again. Stopped doing that. I shop in the sales for Xmas and Birthday gifts, keep a note in the diary for that year, so I know I have bought and put aside. None of which is jewellery which I think is a very personal thing.

🤣 We were to have a Secret Santa in work but due to Covid we haven’t been able to meet up. My friend has confessed that she’s eaten my present 🎁 3 times and will have to buy it again🤣🤣

Well, at least you know she is not planning to give you something that someone else gave her and she didn't want so she would be passing it on to you! That has happened to me during Secret Santa and it's pretty awkward. Someone once gave me a blouse which strangely enough was her size rather than mine. Another person gave me a gift which was ugly enough for me to remember that she had received it for her Secret Santa the previous year.

🤣🤣 My friend and I also share a January birthday, and constantly are presented with regifted Christmas presents, or some really horrific 75% off in the January Sales tat. We have made a joke of it now, but make a real effort with each other 😀

Latest posts

Back