Good Grief Alexis!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

There used to be one fish and chip shop MANY years ago which sold what I was told were called "Yorkshire fishcakes".

These were a sandwich of 2 slices from a very large potato with grated fish in between, then battered and fried.

Delicious, but I've never seen them anywhere else, or since that time.

PS I see what you mean now by going off the original topic lol.

LOL, Yes, just how does a thread originally talking about Alexis's short dress end up talking about yorkshire fishcakes - really funny.

Just noticed your location stratobuddy - hope you haven't been affected by the floods!

There used to be one fish and chip shop MANY years ago which sold what I was told were called "Yorkshire fishcakes".

These were a sandwich of 2 slices from a very large potato with grated fish in between, then battered and fried.

Delicious, but I've never seen them anywhere else, or since that time.

PS I see what you mean now by going off the original topic lol.

If you ask for a fish cake in Sheffield, or anywhere in South Yorkshire, Stratos description is what you'll get. However you don't have to travel far before asking for a fish cake will result in a "rissole". Fish and potato mashed together and fried in breadcrumb. I think elsewhere a rissole is made from meat?

As this thread now covers everything, I may as well add this - - - - >

8749_561653913864066_290331092_n.jpg

Though I don't think 'rissoles' always have to be breadcrumbed, a la 'croquettes' ? I remember eating rissoles reasonably frequently as a child; they were not dissimilar to burgers but were usually made with leftover cooked meat rather than raw, as the latter are. We had one of those old metal meat mincers/grinders (I think it was red & steel coloured) & would help our nan sometimes in mincing stuff, always a fun thing as I recall! You can chuck virtually anything in rissoles I think, binding the whole lot together with an egg I would imagine?
(This was in the SE btw, so may be 'regional', though my nan originally came from the SW of the country.)

I was taught at Cookery Class at school to make rissoles. They were billed as an excellent way to use up any leftover cooked meat. Made just like K-W-C describes. I'm in Yorkshire BTW and fish cakes (battered potato and fish) are on the menu at our chippy. Reet tasty they are too!

We had an old Spong mincer too. Clipped onto the end of the kitchen table, with lots of different discs. I think I've still got it buried in a kitchen draw somewhere

http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/heathfie...s-collectibles/vintage-spong-mincer-YI203E96D

i think i would call those a pattie?

Which brings me on to a pastie - to me they are sausage meat burgers deep friend to to my DH they are left over chips formed in a burger. Then of course there is the cornish variety which is a totally different ball game!

Oh the joys of the Spong mincer - I always used to skin my knuckles on the edge of the table when helping to grind up the leftovers from the Sunday roast!

Yep, that was the mincer TrixieWoo.......weighed a bl**dy ton, definitely not something to drop on your foot! lol

I imagine ours is long gone as sadly, when my nan died & my mum moved, many of the old things were chucked as 'old-fashioned' but if anybody had asked me I'd have liked to have had a few bits & pieces as I'm not really 'into' new fangled gadgets & stuff, I like doing things the cheap old-fashioned way.....& I hate washing up, so fancy plastic doo dahs are virtually a no go area for me, can just about tolerate the blender! LOL

I'm not really into gadgets either Kitten - give me a good set of knives and an electric whisk and I'm fine - have never owned a food processor. Although, I do find my stick blender and slow cooker quite handy - don't know if they count!!

i think i would call those a pattie?

Which brings me on to a pastie - to me they are sausage meat burgers deep friend to to my DH they are left over chips formed in a burger. Then of course there is the cornish variety which is a totally different ball game!

i had a lot of confusion over pasties with my american friends. to me a pastie is the cornish version (never heard of the others you mention) but to americans they're those tassels strippers/erotic dancers wear on their boobs.

Latest posts

Back