Good Grief Alexis!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Monday was Rissole day!

Left-over meat/joint, chopped onion, breadcrumbs, 1 egg, and anything else you fancied!

When we first married Himself told me he could tell what day of the week it was by the meal his mother on the table

Monday - rissoles
Tuesday - (forget)
Wednesday - sausages
Thursday - (forget)
Friday - fish
Saturday - Clarks pie http://www.clarkspies.co.uk/
Sunday - joint

I'm not really into gadgets either Kitten - give me a good set of knives and an electric whisk and I'm fine - have never owned a food processor. Although, I do find my stick blender and slow cooker quite handy - don't know if they count!!

Apart from a couple of decent Sabatier ones, our knives are all vintage carbon steel ones that we have picked on the Bay or from car booties, all are good, some are fabulous quality & would probably cost a fair bit to buy the equivalent of today! (OH expertly sharpens them with an oil stone, I'm not allowed to, he says I'd poop the blades up, which is probably true! lol)
Apart from that, our 'gadgets' consist of a Lidl blender (had it for years, can tackle virtually anything!) & a hand held electric whisk, yep, I think that's it! lol

We make all our food from scratch & I really couldn't be ar$ed in taking apart & washing all the various bits of a whatever, far too lazy! Even the scales are cheapo supermarket 4-5 quid ones & the only 'expensive' items in the kitchen are branded salt & pepper whatsits (infuriating when those don't work as they should!) & a virtually bombproof colander that cost over 30 quid yonks ago, after I got fed-up of cheaper ones not staying the course!

p.s. I do however have an obsession for old cutlery etc., (they used to make something for everything & they actually work! lol); my favourites are my silver-plated basting spoons, couldn't manage without those, they're brilliant! :up:

My knives are either Sabatier - 40 years old, leaving home prezzie from my mother - and a few Solingen that were wedding presents 30 years ago. The local butcher very kindly sharpens them.

My original hand held whisk gave up the ghost a couple of months ago after 40 years but the replacement I bought from Dunelm Mill was almost identical! It sounds as if I'm really mean in not replacing things earlier but I just don't see the point when things are working perfectly well.

Can I throw Butter Pie into the mix? I think it's a Lancashire thing, basically a pie (shortcrust pastry) with diced potato and butter inside. Easy to buy around Blaclpool, Fylde, Preston area when I lived there, but my Manc husband's never had one!

Jude xx

Can I throw Butter Pie into the mix? I think it's a Lancashire thing, basically a pie (shortcrust pastry) with diced potato and butter inside. Easy to buy around Blaclpool, Fylde, Preston area when I lived there, but my Manc husband's never had one!

Jude xx

There's onion in the filling too when you buy them round here. Apparently they used to be eaten by catholics on the fridays when they couldn't eat meat.

I like the sound of Butter Pie, as I love potatoes & I love pie but all that butter & pastry would probably not agree with me too well (or at all in fact! lol), so I fear I will have to leave that recipe, along with so many other nom sounding ones just to the imagination! :grin:

My mum made wonderful butter pies, she part boiled her potatoes in milk and then for the last five minutes she`d place a whole onion in with the potatoes and milk. Remove from pan, slice potatoes and onion, place in pie base, season with salt n pepper then dot butter not marg or spread all over the top, add crust and bake. They were gorgeous !

My mum made wonderful butter pies, she part boiled her potatoes in milk and then for the last five minutes she`d place a whole onion in with the potatoes and milk. Remove from pan, slice potatoes and onion, place in pie base, season with salt n pepper then dot butter not marg or spread all over the top, add crust and bake. They were gorgeous !

Right I know what I'm doing for tomorrow's tea now! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right I know what I'm doing for tomorrow's tea now! :D

Make sure you well drain your potatoes and oinion, don`t overcook them in the pan, just until starting to soften, slice and then layer with the onion, finish off with a top layer of potatoes then season and add butter.

Make sure you well drain your potatoes and oinion, don`t overcook them in the pan, just until starting to soften, slice and then layer with the onion, finish off with a top layer of potatoes then season and add butter.

Noted! Sounds yummers :)

i've never heard of butter pies but as a veggie, that sounds really nice. what do you eat with it? more spuds? lol

i've never heard of butter pies but as a veggie, that sounds really nice. what do you eat with it? more spuds? lol

try more spuds on the side followed by suet pud or jam roly poly. Carb overload! :heart:

My Mum made butter pies every Wednesday because my Dad got paid weekly on Thursdays and by then she`d be broke so they were a cheap way of feeding 6 of us. We`d have butter pies and barm cakes which we`d spread the pie filling onto. I suppose you could serve them with any other veg such as peas, baked beans, cabbage etc.

our meat'n'tater pie was always made with nice chunks of corned beef - prob mum couldn't afford "proper" meat in the good old days! I still do it that way..comfort food!

When I used to work at Greenhalgh's Craft Bakery I lived off the butter pies! Lol.

Greenhalgh's products are really yummy. I worked at Hollands for a while, they had a shop where you could buy their products and also other products made by the group e.g. Cakes made for M & S.

Latest posts

Back