Gotcha

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mommabear

Registered Shopper
Did anybody watch Steve McD last night between 8.30 and 9? Him and Yulisa were having a laugh as the REAL gold necklaces she was modelling were so flimsy and light that every time she moved her neck, they stuck to her neck and crumpled.

He sold three REAL gold necklaces, one after the other. In between each necklace, he would say he's got something coming up before 9 that would go for a penny. It was a mystery, you wouldn't see what it was but it was going for a penny. I was on the edge of my seat with excitement.

The moment came, the only thing he would say is that there were two of them!

Now at this point, because he'd been selling real gold jewellery, I thought, oooooooo must be gold earrings.

So people were dialling in, in their hundreds........he revealed the penny item that he'd gone on and on about

What a let down!!!!!!!! Two frigging pillows!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Did anybody watch Steve McD last night between 8.30 and 9? Him and Yulisa were having a laugh as the REAL gold necklaces she was modelling were so flimsy and light that every time she moved her neck, they stuck to her neck and crumpled.

He sold three REAL gold necklaces, one after the other. In between each necklace, he would say he's got something coming up before 9 that would go for a penny. It was a mystery, you wouldn't see what it was but it was going for a penny. I was on the edge of my seat with excitement.

The moment came, the only thing he would say is that there were two of them!

Now at this point, because he'd been selling real gold jewellery, I thought, oooooooo must be gold earrings.

So people were dialling in, in their hundreds........he revealed the penny item that he'd gone on and on about

What a let down!!!!!!!! Two frigging pillows!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Could it have been that people thought when he said that, that he meant two units, therefore believed that it might be a really good product like a Satnav or something? Might get loads of people trying to ring in. I wouldn't even want a pair of their real gold earrings, even for free, you can almost guarantee they'll be as thin as wire!

Disgusting deceiving tactics to raise telephone revenue. :angry:

Could it have been that people thought when he said that, that he meant two units, therefore believed that it might be a really good product like a Satnav or something? Might get loads of people trying to ring in. I wouldn't even want a pair of their real gold earrings, even for free, you can almost guarantee they'll be as thin as wire!

I never thought of that but of course everybody thinks differently and yes, they could have thought that.

It's just dodgy tactics again and of course, they are full of them :smirk:

I saw another example of sharp practice last week. (Can't remember the item unfortunately). James Russell was on, the phones had been locked and he was giving a 3...2...1 countdown so they could be unlocked. Then, at the very last millisecond...the klaxon sounded and there was another drop in price...the phones remained locked while James wittered on about how good a deal this was. I wonder how much they raked in on wasted phone calls as a result of that? As for the above incident, I saw this too and agree it is despicable, but then again you have to wonder why so many people would ring in "blind" not even knowing what they were bidding for !

I saw another example of sharp practice last week. (Can't remember the item unfortunately). James Russell was on, the phones had been locked and he was giving a 3...2...1 countdown so they could be unlocked. Then, at the very last millisecond...the klaxon sounded and there was another drop in price...the phones remained locked while James wittered on about how good a deal this was. I wonder how much they raked in on wasted phone calls as a result of that? As for the above incident, I saw this too and agree it is despicable, but then again you have to wonder why so many people would ring in "blind" not even knowing what they were bidding for !

Exactly, it's not like you get much of a bargain when you actually see the item, never mind not seeing it/them

Don't worry my friend, the Regulators are well aware of that little tactic :wink:

Yes that's as may be but what will they do about? tell them not to do it again? Yet they do, time and time again!

There was another shopping channel that repeatedly broke ASA rules. Eventually OFCOM got involved, once they did they made that channel broadcast on air apologies which were devastatingly damaging to their reputation. Eventually they had their licence to broadcast revoked.

I know it does seem like the ASA merely tell advertisers not to do it again but what else can we do? It's got to be better than just highlighting incidences on a forum, that might make for an interesting discussion but ultimately it would be pointless.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back