Has the "no quibble money back guarantee" hit the dust ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Just seen at the bottom of the screen on (one of the many) gardening shows today, that "your refund may be reduced in some cases". What does that mean then ?

Does it apply to half used skin care and cosmetics / food / worn clothing ?

To be honest, I doubt they check returned clothing, although they may well unscrew a tub of glunk to check whether or not there’s enough to send to one of their outlet places.

I just want free postage to return an item. I have never used clothing for 60 days then want a refund. As an adult I know when something fits and other I like it or not. The 60 day MBG is a ploy to get customers to keep stuff and use stuff so they, QVC rarely get a return.

Normal online retailers are more honest: Most offer Free returns and put a label in the parcel. QVC don't. They argue with you on the phone and begrudge giving out a free label.

I bought a Yankee Candle and used a 1/4 its very rare I return Yankees this was the first and I buy a lot. This candle selection had very poor reviews for good reason. QVC phoned me and argued they would not refund fully because I used sooooo much. I have spent an absolute fortune with QVC and I have spent many hundreds if not thousands of pounds on Yankees.

With things opening and fewer people totally self isolating is there really the need for 60 days anymore? Either it will jump back to 30 or go gradually say 45 then 30. I can’t see it goin* on indefinitely.

Just seen at the bottom of the screen on (one of the many) gardening shows today, that "your refund may be reduced in some cases". What does that mean then ?

Does it apply to half used skin care and cosmetics / food / worn clothing ?
John Lewis/Waitrose went down this path a good few years ago now. If you bought a product from Waitrose that you weren't happy with and took it back to the shop, not only would they refund you but they'd replace it free of charge. This policy got quietly dropped a few years ago now - probably because people were taking the piss with it. Equally, John Lewis are far more picky now about the condition of returns, and will attempt to reduce refunds or, in cases, refuse to give them in the item does not meet their 'acceptable return policy'. The problem is that these sort of policies are enforced without nuance or thought by bored shop-girls and people working on minimum-wage in warehouses who can't be arsed to actually check an item properly, read notes or explanations or do anything other than get the job done in the minimal time. Hence, when I had to return an item to JL because it was actually soiled return from someone else, my refund was refused due to the item having been 'used'!! Had they read the note included with the item, or checked the notes left with the call centre, they would have realised this.

I have some sympathy for the Q where they are trying to dissuade and penalise the chancers who are just taking the piss. The ones who buy a frock, wear it to a couple of parties and return it a fortnight later with red-wine stains down it and smelling of cheap scent (the question as to why QVC's quality control and processes are so poor that this frock ends up being re-sent out as a 'new' item to another customer is another story). No - the problem for me is that their returns policy is not properly advertised, and is in too many cases misrepresented by the Presenters, just as Loveinamist says above. How many times have I heard a Presenter tell me that I can 'wear a garment, wash it, give it a proper 'test drive' - and if you don't like it, just send it back for a full refund'. So if I wear said garment and pull a thread on it, then accidentally wash it in a 60°C cottons programme when it should have been 30°C with two lines and end up shrinking it to a third of its size and run the dye out, can I still return it 'for a full refund'? Of course I can't - QVC will reduce or refuse my refund. But how is that 'giving it a full test drive - really trying it out'? After all, accidents happen, even with the most careful people. And how are people supposed to guess what QVC decides (often capriciously) is 'fair use' compared to what they might reasonably consider is 'fair use'. It's all far too subjective and not properly defined.

QVC need to stop being so deceitful with this. If QVC wants to allow customers to try the items as the presenters describe, as part of their sales technique, then they need to accept that they're going to end up with a lot of damaged, well-used and unsaleable returns - and build the financial loss into their business model. Conversely, if QVC wants to control costs and implement a 'return condition policy', then they need to ensure that the Presenters are upfront about this and do not continue to suggest you you use items as you see fit and still be entitled to a full refund - as well as advertise this policy appropriately. What QVC can't do is try to have their cake and eat it.

Last edited:
If I get something like clothing online, try it on & if it does not fit or I don’t like it goes back straight away.It is as much used as taking a garment from a rail & trying it on in a changing room in a shop.In fact better ar home as I make sure I have no makeup or perfume on.QVC have stressed strongly that you can try wear, in the case of footwear outside and then return.That is not possible in a shop unless it is faulty.It is the same with makeup/ skincare,I use very little before I return but I would never expect that item to be sent out to someone else as new after I had dipped my fingers in it.They need to make their policy very clear.

I often wondered how this worked with food. Do people send back empty boxes of Hotel Chocolat, say they felt nauseous after eating them and get a full refund? Perhaps this is why they don't sell fien wines - the'd risk having a crate of empties returned, with a note saying it gave them a headache!

I know of someone who used to decant the beauty products and send the almost empties back, straightaway - there was no way she could have used that much product in less than a week. I agree that they need to stop spouting the crap when they know there are people who will exploit it. I've been shopping with them for over 20 years and I've only returned products on rare occasions.

I remember reading on the QVC US forum, someone openly said they bought expensive skincare emptied the pot and filled it with say Nivea and returned. All hell broke loose other posters saying she was vile etc. She then said she was joking, but many did not believe her.

And honestly, I could see some people doing that!

Clothes buying say M&S, I take home try on and decide there and then if I am keeping. I don't keep wearing it and then decide to return.

Q’s mantra is not only trying on, wearing out but actually washing before you decide. Who the heck would allow that.

I only once used and returned - it was a very expensive bag (KvZ’s husband Bruce) I had all intentions of keeping it but the first and only time I used it I found it didn’t sit, kept twisting so I knew I wouldn’t use it and at a couple of hundred i just decided to return it .

Mind you there were loads of orders that I should have returned which added together would have paid for numerous expensive bags!

Nowadays apart from the odd bit of Eek I don’t buy anything, I would say I’m saving thousands but I’m just buying elsewhere albeit not at the same rate as my peak at Q when multiple parcels arrived weekly (daily!).

The returns after the main summer holidays, Christmas & New Year* must be horrendous with all the clothes & jewellery worn for one outing & then shoved back in the jiffy bag.

*Remember those halcyon days?

I just want free postage to return an item. I have never used clothing for 60 days then want a refund. As an adult I know when something fits and other I like it or not. The 60 day MBG is a ploy to get customers to keep stuff and use stuff so they, QVC rarely get a return.

Normal online retailers are more honest: Most offer Free returns and put a label in the parcel. QVC don't. They argue with you on the phone and begrudge giving out a free label.

I bought a Yankee Candle and used a 1/4 its very rare I return Yankees this was the first and I buy a lot. This candle selection had very poor reviews for good reason. QVC phoned me and argued they would not refund fully because I used sooooo much. I have spent an absolute fortune with QVC and I have spent many hundreds if not thousands of pounds on Yankees.
Sorry basically just written same thing in reply to you on Yankee thread!

QVC really do need to change their returns process and options to be more in line with other retailers - especially for clothing etc...

And clarify exactly what their 60 day MBG constitutes...
I think they justify their over-pricing by allowing it.

Sure some people do take the p*** in terms of abusing the returns options and that’s not on, but QVC should really allow genuine buyers (particularly when you’re such a good customer!) to return something like your candle in line with the policy they mention and advertise on every presentation!

Latest posts

Back