Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes I think the Winter months including Christmas will be tough for a few years to come. At least in Summer we can socially distance outdoors which got me thinking about something. One of my sons has given me some money for Christmas and my birthday which is next week. I`m banning myself from buying any clothes, bags, shoes, perfumes or jewellery for the whole of 2022 so I saw a bench handmade by a husband and wife small company here in the UK. You can have it carved with anything you want and also 3D carvings of animals or birds, in fact anything. I`ve chosen this bench in the photo but I`ll change the word gin to wine. I reckon during Spring and Summer and with this dreaded virus will ensure I get some use out of it !
View attachment 22855
My father in law carved this onto his garden seat - - -

Re Stabit Fortis arare placet orest.

Any ideas what it means?

We really need to look at people coming into the country especially from countries with very high rates of infection , immediately not a week down the line or at least restricted to those who have a predated return ticket,

Most of those in the covid wards are unvaccinated so when does an individual‘s rights outweigh the rest of the population? Despite refusing to get vaccinated when the end is neigh they are then pleading for the jab so somehow their principles go out the window after putting the rest of the population at risk.

Personally I would have liked a longer period of tests before having the 3 jabs but at my age it was a case of take a risk or become a prisoner in my home seeing no one from the outside world even the postie.
Choices have consequences. If we choose to get vaccinated to return to a more normal life, we take a risk for the benefit of ourselves and others. Those who choose not to be vaccinated take a risk too. They risk catching a more severe case, they also risk being exluded from some things.
It's like freedom of speech: you are going to face the consequences.

Covid is going to be like Ebenezer Scrooge for a few more years to come imo. Until vaccines are available worldwide and taken by enough people, we will get it raging through the population, sadly.
I have a friend who caught covid in the very first wave in February, admitted to hospital in March. They are now into doubke figure on the number of operations they've had to have as a direct consequence. Young, healthy, but with underlying conditions... and no end in sight.
I am not surprised your son is still suffering.
I hope you find a special day for your real family celebration.
In order to keep my emotional equilibrium I've decided that it'll do what all other viruses have done & gradually become weaker & endemic. Coronaviruses have been around for thousands of years, in fact some experts think it could be millions so humans have always had to deal with them. We have 12 months in a year & can't press pause for 4 of them because of an illness with a mortality rate of 0.22%. The modelling & dire projections that have dictated policy are now being widely disparaged & the experts are no longer all singing the same song. Some members of the shadowy group SPI-B have said that their decision, made in March 2020, to recommend scaring the population into complicity with hard hitting emotional messages & the promotion of community disapproval was unethical. The prediction that was made earlier this week that cases were doubling every 24 hours has faded away probably because it didn't take a mathematical genius to work out that by NYE that would mean 56 billion cases in the UK with everyone having it 374 times, catching it every 4 minutes. I'm 63, my mum died when she was not much older than me, I don't know if that's my fate but I do know that I'm not going to spend what time I have left merely existing.

In order to keep my emotional equilibrium I've decided that it'll do what all other viruses have done & gradually become weaker & endemic. Coronaviruses have been around for thousands of years, in fact some experts think it could be millions so humans have always had to deal with them. We have 12 months in a year & can't press pause for 4 of them because of an illness with a mortality rate of 0.22%. The modelling & dire projections that have dictated policy are now being widely disparaged & the experts are no longer all singing the same song. Some members of the shadowy group SPI-B have said that their decision, made in March 2020, to recommend scaring the population into complicity with hard hitting emotional messages & the promotion of community disapproval was unethical. The prediction that was made earlier this week that cases were doubling every 24 hours has faded away probably because it didn't take a mathematical genius to work out that by NYE that would mean 56 billion cases in the UK with everyone having it 374 times, catching it every 4 minutes. I'm 63, my mum died when she was not much older than me, I don't know if that's my fate but I do know that I'm not going to spend what time I have left merely existing.
I think most people are reaching their limit on restrictions.
I really don't mind the mask wearing, and the hand sanitising, as it is generally helpful at cutting down all sorts of unpleasant bugs spreading. If that continues, and those with coughs and colds aren't spreading them willy-nilly, that will be a positive reason to wear a mask.
I think over time it could also be that covid wakes us up from unhealthy lives with bad diets and little exercise. It could prompt public health officials to put more investment into health education and prevention rather than blithely sending people to the NHS when the person is beyond all but the most expensive help.
I do find navigating through the different restrictions in different countries really stressful...it is often weaponised too, sadly.

What many forget is, back up until the early 60s in the UK it was compulsory to have your vaccines. Yes, you could be arrested for not having TB, Polo etc. Here in N.I. this was law until the early 70s.

Back then, people realized diseases could kill now, so many refuse to get their children vaccinated. The doctor who had, so many follow him saying the triple vaccine caused autism totally disproved, yet there are thousands you still take his reports as totally true.

What many forget is, back up until the early 60s in the UK it was compulsory to have your vaccines. Yes, you could be arrested for not having TB, Polo etc. Here in N.I. this was law until the early 70s.

Back then, people realized diseases could kill now, so many refuse to get their children vaccinated. The doctor who had, so many follow him saying the triple vaccine caused autism totally disproved, yet there are thousands you still take his reports as totally true.
Being the parent of a young child, trying to navigate your way through some of the disgraceful nonsense on social media must be a nightmare.
Complacency has definitely set in anout some truly terrifying consequences of childhood diseases. Children in iron lungs for years due to contracting polio.
The most shocking long-term consequences of contracting measles, rubella, mumps and more. Yes, the majority may get off lightly, but for those that don't... orchitis leading to male sterility from mumps... disabilities from rubella... and measles can knock out 100% of your acquired immunity to other diseases, leaving you only immune to measles itself.
Link to a fascinating, horrifying article about measles on bbc.com https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20211112-the-people-with-immune-amnesia

My father in law carved this onto his garden seat - - -

Re Stabit Fortis arare placet orest.

Any ideas what it means?

Stabit fortis means “stand strong” I think. I did Latin at school, so years ago. 😳

If you then separate the last bit to “a rare place to rest” instead of “arare placet orest” I think it could mean something along the lines of:

”Stand strong. This is a rare place to rest.”

Stabit fortis means “stand strong” I think. I did Latin at school, so years ago. 😳

If you then separate the last bit to “a rare place to rest” instead of “arare placet orest” I think it could mean something along the lines of:

”Stand strong. This is a rare place to rest.”
Vienna has already given the answer above. It is all in English, disguised to look like Latin, with the spaces in the wrong places.

Vienna has already given the answer above. It is all in English, disguised to look like Latin, with the spaces in the wrong places.

I apologise. I didn’t see Vienna’s reply, but did know that Stabit fortis was Latin and the rest was “rubbish” so to speak. 😉

I remember the Polio vaccinations as a child and the fear of contracting the disease.Same with TB. I had Measles kept in a darkened room. I didn’t have Chickenpox until a few years ago ( not great!) everybody thought I must have had them as a child, not so, same with German Measles. The first time I went to the USA I needed vaccination for Smallpox, not had that as a baby, had it as an adult again not great ! Seems history is repeating itself.

All I remember of having the measles is cherry flavour medicine, staying at my grannies and being kept upstairs with the blinds down. My mum was one of the old school who threw you in with a house that had whatever was doing the rounds. I did not get chickenpox until I was 12/13 I was always a picker so do have scars. Never had German Measles and never got the vaccine, every time I was sent for it in school I had a chest infection, and they could not give it to me. The BCG jab was weird for me, the six needle thing kept coming up and down and my mum and granny could not decide if I needed the TB jab? Left it to the nurse who decided to give it to me as she couldn't work it out?

Believe it or not, I still have my original vaccine card! It shows all the jabs I got as a baby.

Latest posts

Back