Help...cat wee!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have one like the one in the video but without the cleaner thing in it. Hopey used to just have the ordinary litter tray, but we decided the hood one
might be more hygenic, and it is. We got it when she was only a year old and had to put her in it a few times, but now she goes in and out and it
cuts down the smell and she has her privacy, but the OH still empties it. I think its a great idea. We also use good litter, think its cheaper in the long
run

Hi Diane
commiserations, i say keep going with the bicarb (leave overnight and then hoover off, and continue) as it will eventually absorb all the odor rather then perfume it
yeah, it is sad with the old ones, they get dementia just like us humans and some can temporarily forget about the litter tray, and then at other times be perfectly fine with toiletting, and the other thing that i have experienced is that olde ones can have discomfort from arthritis for example and it can be painful to move very far and that can be a reason for olde ones to mess -
do you know which one was the culprit
and does any of them seem a little stiff in movement or avoiding too much movement at times ?
there are also many other reasons i.e. behaviour triggered by anxiety, change in household esp with multiple pets
but in my experience often with the olde ones it is one of the reasons described (plus the possible urinary tract infections someone already highlighted)
most of my cats made into ripe old ages of 21 & 22 for the pedigrees and 23 for the moggie

if you observe any changes and signs of dementia, stiffness or straining when using litter tray, i would go to the vet to ascertain if something can be done, sometimes pain relief is possible for stiffness, and also to see if olde kitty might be suffering (i hear what you said about what the vet said, but 2 years is a long time for an old cat and it could easily happen that you might let kitty go on too long now, after being traumatised by earlier vet exchange, and neither of you would want to let her suffer, stopping eating is only the very end stage - ultimately though, and i am not telling you anything you don't already know, that old age stuff is messy and undignified ....)

forgive me if input is too expansive -
love & catnip from lilith,
cat lover & frequent cat sitter :heart:

YEs so far I've used 2 pots of bicarb today and tomorrow I will hoover and pray! I've used flash on the floorboards. I can't be cross as when we got home from the shopping, the lobby door (where we keep the litter tray was shut), so poor Truffles couldn't get to it. Although it is odd as she tends to use the other end of the room, and sometimes even when the door is open...little pickle. I think she likes going in hard to reach places, then she can laugh at me trying to squeeze into the corner in between chairs, tables and radiators to clean it up.....a sight to be seen.
I've also bought some white vinegar.
Thanks for your suggestions.

I'd never heard of a sifter litter tray so Googled it, it's rather large and as you say expensive but it seems to be quiet a clever idea, can I ask what you don't like about it and why it didn't it work?

Well, I prepared the tray with the appropriate clumping litter, and I put a sprinkle of crystal litter on top, cos I know he likes that. The first time he used it with no problems but subsequently, he would not even go out of the window to get to it, so he pooed and peed indoors, hence the use of Dettox, steam and white vinegar. So, I started putting him outside and ignoring his cries to come back in and he started coming back in but refusing to go out, crazy cat! Now, he is coming and going under his own steam, but he won't set foot inside the tray. I think it moves slightly when he stands in it and that makes him panic. Presently, I have pulled the drawer from under the main tray out and he seems to be using that, even when he is missing it with poo, but that is forgiveable and as it is outside, not smelly, easier to clean up too!

I do feel for you all with your cat worries, Sidney isn't seven years of age yet (not until June), so it isn't senility, yet I hope, he's had bouts of cystitis, thought this might be that, but I've been watching him pee (the things we do for our fur babies) and it seems to be a full bladder, no blood in the urine, little or no straining, so I am guessing it was a stress and anxiety related problem, something spooked him and he was too frightened to go out and the poor daft thing couldn't hang on, bless him. Cue a fortune on feliway spray and catnip spray, which I guess wasn't wasted as he now uses the window to go in and out. I will feliway around the flat again today. I am knackered, in pain from the dental stuff and sleepless from coughing so I need this problem with the baby boy like a hole in the head!

My adult cats only need a litter tray if ill or due to prolonged weather conditions.

When we had the first bad winter 3 years ago I didn't think a normal litter tray would be big enough so I bought a cheap plastic "under the bed" storage box - approx 22x15 inches x 6 deep. I think they need a bit of room to get themselves comfortable and being deep not much litter is extracted when they scratch it about.

I agree they like a bit of privacy, I use Catsan litter which I find controls odour well and cats seem to like it.

My adult cats only need a litter tray if ill or due to prolonged weather conditions.

When we had the first bad winter 3 years ago I didn't think a normal litter tray would be big enough so I bought a cheap plastic "under the bed" storage box - approx 22x15 inches x 6 deep. I think they need a bit of room to get themselves comfortable and being deep not much litter is extracted when they scratch it about.

I agree they like a bit of privacy, I use Catsan litter which I find controls odour well and cats seem to like it.

Sidney and I live in a first floor flat and we have a road that is unpredictably busy right outside, wish he could be an outside cat, he never has been. I think he'd love to be a farm cat, he looks so aristocratic, however, he is far from that!!!! When I say he goes outside, I mean the balcony!

Last edited:
I've got a problem with the new litter tray, he is refusing to use it, so Sidney is peeing and pooing where he never has before, I am struggling as I had some dental surgery yesterday and I have a really bad cough, it is a nightmare! I do find that dettox, followed by steam, followed by white vinegar seems to be working to a degree.

Is it that the new litter tray is too 'clean'? Cats are funny creatures and need their litter tray to smell right. If it's possible, you could try putting just a tiny bit of wet litter back in with the clean to give Sidney the message.

And sorry to hear about the dental work, MS, it sounds awful, and coughs come at just the wrong time, don't they? Hope you feel much better today.

what I am doing to get him used to the flipping thing is pulling the drawer out and lining and filling that with litter. He is using that quite well, so maybe he will get accustomed to it and braver!, bless him! The cough is nicknamed locally "the one hundred days cough", I am now about a third of the way through it, I am coughing myself to a completely lightheaded standstill on occasion. The dental work is settling and I have not had to take any painkillers today, back to the dentist on Wednesday!

what I am doing to get him used to the flipping thing is pulling the drawer out and lining and filling that with litter. He is using that quite well, so maybe he will get accustomed to it and braver!, bless him! The cough is nicknamed locally "the one hundred days cough", I am now about a third of the way through it, I am coughing myself to a completely lightheaded standstill on occasion. The dental work is settling and I have not had to take any painkillers today, back to the dentist on Wednesday!
OMG - what part of the world do you live in - I want to avoid it at all costs so as not to get the cough. I did have a cough like that once and it only went away when the weather warmed up. Commiserations

Thankfully, the balcony is on the opposite side from the road!

We are a bit further west than the M25!

Just an update. Sidney seems to be happy using the drawer compartment as a tray currently and he is going out then window as and when he chooses! That is a massive relief! My mouth hurts much less today. All I can say is any new parents out there or parents with young children get them flossing and doing great dental care as early as you can! And finally regarding the cough, I've found that salty nasal spray into each side seems to be holding it down a bit! How is everyone getting on with their various cat wee problems? Got rid of smells etc yet?

sadly no, but it is slightly better. have been suffering with a bad back since sunday so still not hovered up the bicarb. Will try the white vinegar next but not until back is better.

sadly no, but it is slightly better. have been suffering with a bad back since sunday so still not hovered up the bicarb. Will try the white vinegar next but not until back is better.

I haven't read all the reply's to this thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned, have you cut away the carpet underlay from the area the cat had peed on, if you haven't then cut it away , most persistent urine problems regarding carpet are the underlay, ... if its in a corner in the room & unlikely to be walked on a bit of underlay missing wont hurt

most cleaning will only tackle the carpet so the smell will remain underneath it .. hope this helps

oh yes the underlay has been replaced. have now bought some stuff from house of bath which is used by cruffs......its getting better, but still not gone. Now we have youngest daughter back home plus rabbit and kitten so im not onto a winner as the rabbit seems to pong. At least the kitten is good but we need to find a new home for the rabbit..free to a good home, if anyone is interested, white mini lop female, seems quite cute, if you like rabbits! but our dog eats them - so the sooner she goes the safer she will be.

Latest posts

Back