Mosquito help!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I feel really sorry for those of you who have to take what I would call ‘Tropical’ measures in this country at the moment.I rarely have a problem- just not tasty stuff? But my Mother used to react badly to insect bites so I know how serious a problem it can be.I am inside most of the time @ the moment & am on the coast so it is a bit fresher, cities are the worst place to be & everyone who commutes especially public transport, unbearable.

Just received my order from Ebay and the seller has got it wrong. They've just sent me a REFILL - however this is no use to me as I don't have the plug-in diffuser in which to place it. I'm going to try another Savers not too far away and hope to goodness that they've got this product in.

I might also get the Avon Skin So Soft spray. A few people have told me that's good. It's worth getting a few different things and seeing what works. At 5am it was 33c in here. The thought of going to work on the Northern Line fills me with horror. I hate summer. I just want it over with. Bring on the cold - I can deal with that.

Had a bit of drama with this whole mosquito thing today. My order arrived without the plug-in diffuser - just the refill - so I was not best pleased. I telephoned Savers in Stanmore and they had one diffuser left so I went there and bought it. When I opened the box I noticed that the device as the 2-pin EU-style plug fitting so I had to get an adaptor for that. Then I noticed that the liquid was an all-natural product based on eucalyptus and lemongrass (thank goodness not citronella) so now I have one plug-in diffuser and 2 refill bottles - one based on plant extracts and the other based on an odourless insecticide. So in an odd kind of way it's all worked out fine. My plan is to use the natural one during the day. If nothing else, it smells nice and if it helps to deter flies etc that's a bonus. At night time I will change the bottle to the more chemically one so that the insects are killed.

I then called into Lidl on my way back and, as luck would have it, they're doing a special offer on a UV lantern with an electrocution grid inside, so I bought that, and some sticky, twisty trap things.

I'm not far from the Welsh Harp!

Also in the not loving this weather camp.

Not been troubled so far with mozzies but have in the past & I'm sure I will be in the future.

Do you remember Dollis Hill Research Labs?

I do Strato, both my husband and I worked there in the 70's before our departments moved to Suffolk and into the then newly built Research Station. Happy days, just married and moving to our first proper home of our own. Why do you ask Strato, did you have a connection to the labs?

Do you remember Dollis Hill Research Labs?

I can't say I do.

This whole mosquito thing is turning into a nightmare. When I tried to plug the Xpel device into the EU to UK adaptor, it simply pushed the pins into the device, so there is no way it can be plugged into anything. It's going straight back to the shop tomorrow - as is the adaptor. Boots do a plug-in killer with UK plug so I shall go for that. I really don't know why Savers - a UK shop - are selling devices with EU plugs anyway.

I cannot tell you how much this whole situation has stressed me out. Earlier it was 36c here. Now it's 30c. I'm hoping it will drop to about 24 later, and hopefully, with the repellant, the sticky traps and the UV electrifying fly-killing lamp, I may be able to get some rest. I like the lamp. It has a calming blue light. Something's just flown into it now and got zapped! Hope it's a mosquito! Haha!

Sorry to hear of your mozzie plight Julius. I live in Ipswich and our house is being beseiged by flying ants at the moment. We have ant powder everywhere, we have sprayed all the door and window frames with a repellant, set ant bait traps in several rooms and I think we are finally winning the battle.I do like warm weather but this year it has been too much, but the insects are obviously having a lovely time. Hope you sleep well tonight mozzie free!

Sorry to hear of your mozzie plight Julius. I live in Ipswich and our house is being beseiged by flying ants at the moment. We have ant powder everywhere, we have sprayed all the door and window frames with a repellant, set ant bait traps in several rooms and I think we are finally winning the battle.I do like warm weather but this year it has been too much, but the insects are obviously having a lovely time. Hope you sleep well tonight mozzie free!

Heya Pandora, Those flying ants are annoying. I saw them today coming out of the holes in the cracks between the pavements. There is sand surrounding the holes. Usually these ants all come out on one day and then they piss off!

You might want to try "Pest Police" sticky traps. Also I can really recommend a spray available from Robert Dyas. It comes in a large red trigger bottle. Also works as an ad-hoc (non-aerosol) fly killer. BE CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE PET FISH.

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/doff-ant-crawling-insect-killer-spray-1l

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01H2T76R6/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

Best of all seems to be the UV lamp. It's only been on for a couple of hours and has already killed loads of moths and several mosquitoes! It's currently on special in Lidl. Couldn't find a link but it's £11.99. Nothing that's gone into that lamp has come out! I'll check it in the morning.

Also this may help with your ant issues:

https://www.boots.com/boots-pharmac...VyrztCh2JbgIDEAQYASABEgLR_fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I do Strato, both my husband and I worked there in the 70's before our departments moved to Suffolk and into the then newly built Research Station. Happy days, just married and moving to our first proper home of our own. Why do you ask Strato, did you have a connection to the labs?

Yes, I was a student apprentice working at an offshoot of DH out in the sticks, and spent several 6-month periods at DH in various departments.

I finally bought the Boots (3-pin) diffuser, and fortunately, the bottles from the Xpel system are compatible with it, too - which is good. I'm diffusing the natural one (eucalyptus and lemongrass) at the moment and it smells lovely as a scent in its own right. What is really interesting is I've only had one fly, whereas normally I would have easily had 20 or 30 by this time - so I'm extremely pleased with it so far. I am going to stock up on the refill bottles to last all summer.

When it gets to 9pm I will change to the chemical-based bottle which actually kills mosquitoes and flying insects.

The natural one seems to be working well and thank goodness it's not citronella-based.

I think I'm going to go and buy an inexpensive electric fan it's too hot, if any left in stock, judging by the mosquito plug popularity. Didn't need one all these years, it'll just gather the dust once the weather cooled down.

I think I'm going to go and buy an inexpensive electric fan it's too hot, if any left in stock, judging by the mosquito plug popularity. Didn't need one all these years, it'll just gather the dust once the weather cooled down.

I got a tower fan in Lidl on Thursday, only £20 & works well, if you have a store near you & they have any left.

I have the Dyson fan downstairs going full pelt but it is quite noisy. I find it is struggling to keep the room cool here at around 30C (SW London) and I rather wish I has an AC unit, but don't think the Residents' Association would be very happy if I installed one. At night I have a normal fan I bought from the late lamented Woolies, and I have it on all night on low as it is remarkably quiet. I still haven't had a good night's sleep though as it is just too hot for me. It gets to a point I think where the heat just gets into the fabric of the building and you are stuck until the weather breaks. Roll on that day! I did manage to read the paper under a tree this morning though.

I have the Dyson fan downstairs going full pelt but it is quite noisy. I find it is struggling to keep the room cool here at around 30C (SW London) and I rather wish I has an AC unit, but don't think the Residents' Association would be very happy if I installed one. At night I have a normal fan I bought from the late lamented Woolies, and I have it on all night on low as it is remarkably quiet. I still haven't had a good night's sleep though as it is just too hot for me. It gets to a point I think where the heat just gets into the fabric of the building and you are stuck until the weather breaks. Roll on that day! I did manage to read the paper under a tree this morning though.

I think the daytime temperature is going down to 23c in the next few days. Can't wait, as like you said, the heat has absorbed into the building - like the bricks inside a storage heater.

I might be driving down to Eastbourne next week. IF so I might call into the Pells open-air swimming pool in Lewes. Haven't been there since I was about 7 but I know it'll be freezing cold.

I got a tower fan in Lidl on Thursday, only £20 & works well, if you have a store near you & they have any left.

Thanks Janey, I rushed to Argos before I saw your post, bought the desk one for £15 - very good too for the price. EVERY item collected from the counter I saw in argos was a fan - one type or another. They seem to have stoked well for the current demand.

Latest posts

Back