Help! oxidation disappeared.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

nannieA

Registered Shopper
Has anyone out there any suggestions,apart from murdering the jeweller,in a particularly gory "CSI" way.
I have/had a really lovely scroll silver ring with detailed oxidation-yes-you know what's coming. I took it to be sized and the jeweller cleaned it ,obviously in a machine.
When I saw it I wanted to cry/scream but did neither,just said "thanks a lot" and walked out,he's a nice man and obviously thought he was doing me a favour.
Is there any way of re-oxidising,or has anyone any other suggestions?
4 letter words have already been used in the privacy of my own home.

I know this sounds stupid, but would just leaving it out in the air (rather than storing it in a box) make it oxidise again? Just a thought as they do say if you don't want your silver to discolour you should put it in those Preserve thingies.

QVC jewellery is guaranteed for a year. I'd let them know that you've cleaned it and the oxidation has gone and can you have a replacement. On the Suarti hours (is it Suarti?) they say that the oxidisation won't come off so it shouldn'tr have come off. You are too nice though: I'd have told the Jeweller!

Oxidisation - Liver of Sulphur

Hi there,
I'm a 'newbie' but have enjoyed reading all your posts, which have had me in hysterics at times! I just wanted to reply to say that there is an easy way of restoring your oxidisation - you can buy a 'chemical' called Liver of Sulphur and apply it yourself. Give it time to take effect and then you can use a silver cloth to remove the oxidisation from the highly polished, raised areas, so the oxidisation will only remain in the 'crevices' etc. like the Suarti jewellery. Here's a link that give more information and where you can buy it, but there are plenty of other places too. http://www.silverclay.co.uk/fini.htm Or you could ask a jeweller to send your ring somewhere to restore the oxidisation, if you don't fancy doing it yourself. Hope this helps!

isnt oxidisation just a posh name for tarnish? in which case i agree with Beady Belle - just let it tarnish but polish/clean the raised surfaces. simples?

isnt oxidisation just a posh name for tarnish? in which case i agree with Beady Belle - just let it tarnish but polish/clean the raised surfaces. simples?

I don't think its as easy as that! Oxidisation is a special process and would need to be carried out :hi:

I would go back and mention it to the jewellers and see what he says. Hope you get it sorted out soon nannie.

Yes, leaving the ring out to tarnish isn't going to help! You need Liver of Sulphur or Potassium Sulphide (Although it's probably the same thing). I've used it myself as I am a former jeweller/silversmith.

:blush: Sorry, I have to ask, why do you want it to look oxidised? Isn't that just tarnished, as in black?!! :blush:

"Oxidation" and tarnish are the same and result from a reaction between silver and sulphur in the atmosphere. It is never a permanent effect and can always be removed by polishing or cleaning with liquid dips, so to suggest it will not come off is wrong.

Leaving the ring outside would eventually re-oxidize it, but slowly (faster in areas of heavy industrial pollution or volcanic activity!), which is why jewellers use sulphur based compounds to speed up the process.

As I understand, a simple DIY method is to put the item in a plastic bag with a broken-up hard boiled egg (the distinctive smell is actually hydrogen sulphide) and leave in the fridge for a day or two. Then, simply polish with a cloth to remove the resulting tarnish from the raised areas.

(P.S. I should add that I have never tried this myself but do recall reading about it somewhere on the WWW. Some digging on your favourite search engine should yield more information.)

Last edited:
I am so thankful to all you great gals for this information.
I am now off to boil an egg and if this doesn't work it's liver of sulphur for me.
I have tried to like the ring as it is but although polished silver looks great this piece just looks all wrong,if I could do pics I would.
I will post the answer to this terrible dilemma when I have boiled ,shaken and rock and rolled.

Good luck with it nannieA! Don't blame you for being upset - I love my jewellery pieces so I would be devastated if a favourite piece was 'spoilt'! Hope your ring is soon back to as it was. xx.

THANK you all so much,there really is a wealth of talent on this forum.
I boiled an egg and sealed it with my ring,left it for about an hour shaking from time to time,tarnish reappeared,I then polished the shiny bits and I can honestly say it about 90% returned so original.
I am soooooo pleased.
Who would have thought a simple egg could be so effective.

Latest posts

Back