How many long-term QVC-ers actually sit and watch QVC and how much do they buy?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I often have QVC on at home - it's less depressing than the news and the endless repeats on other channels.

However, since I've been reading this forum (lurking and now contributing) I've been watching less and buying less thanks to all you lovely people!

Once you have annoying sales ploys or presenter mannerisms pointed out to you, you can't stop noticing them. Once you start getting tipped off to better bargains on the same items elsewhere, you end up watching to find out as much as you can about the product before searching and sourcing elsewhere (or at least comparing prices). Once you really factor in the often outrageous postage charges into the prices rather than getting lured in by the product price, your resentment of it means that only if there really isn't a keener price elsewhere for a product do you buy from QVC.

If I've got a yen to buy a higher priced item that I've not tried before, I do still like the 30day (or more) MBG.

I've never tuned in for every TSV launch. Generally I look at the TV guide and if it's something I think will be popular and that I will want to buy, I will stay up... but even then those are now fewer and further between with all the advance knowledge of the contents of TSVs. And one of the biggest blessings is that on this forum we can compare current TSV offerings and prices with many of the previous TSVs - so useful to compare to the QVC price/OTO price/Clearance Price/Bargain Hunter Price/Introductory Price/Surprise Price/Feature Price - or whatever else they use to get the short-of-memory to buy... we don't have to remember - just search.

In the 'old' days you would never hear the saying "made especially for QVC" - the kiss of death for me.

Agreed. You have nothing to compare it to price wise when the crafty gits do that, secondly they've lost a sale immediately when they say it, it's not a selling point for me because I don't shop at QVC anymore.

I record a lot on my TiVo box - mostly beauty and a few fashion, Yankee, Easi-yo, Kipling, and Lola rose. I then fast forward through them and only stop and watch stuff that catches my eye. this occurs quite rarely unless I need to watch a demo of make- up. I only buy if the price is good eg TSV, OTO or other offer. Even if I don't buy I find I get a good idea of what is out there and may then buy from HS or other online outlets. Nearly always get Kipling bags from Amazon these days - one came today nearly half price.

I put it on for half an hour when l get up at 5.30am but am fed up of the constant bodyblade repeats so then l flick over to the food network and have a lovely relaxing time watching 'The Barefoot Contessa'. I have it on in the background on my days off but it is getting soooo monotonous, and that stupid lunchtime show has really been the death knell for me. I like to watch the TSV launch on a Saturday night but other than that l don't really care about it. I still miss having a quick look at the TSV on the red button each morning!!

for me it depends on the show and presenter... i will not watch a show if its a presenter or guest i cannot stand.

Watch but don't touch

I have watched QVC for years, I use it as my bed-time soother, to help me get to sleep, or get back to sleep. I have an ap on my tablet that allows it to switch of after so many minutes (kind of like the ones you have on the TV) and I use QVC to help me get back to sleep. As for purchases, only 2 loccitane soaps for presents, as for what they were they were cheapest I could find. But no I am not a regular QVC shopper by any means. I watch, as background or to find information out about a product before I then buy cheaper elsewhere. Sometimes though I have to switch over like Richard Jackson constantly insults directors and producers (surprised he is allowed to get away with it), I suppose that is for another thread, but no I watch but don't 'touch'!

I haven't watched for probably over two years now, neither do I ever record anything. I do come on here to check up on anything I might be interested in (thanks to Ian and the other super sleuths). In July, just before the very hot weather, I wanted a Dyson cooling fan and searched and searched the internet and found the very cheapest one that was in stock at that time. Just recently they had a Dyson tsv with the identical looking fan at the identical price I paid, only the qvc one heated as well. So sometimes they really do have good value prices and I'm rather fed up I didn't know about the upcoming tsv because I would have waited.

I record a lot on my TiVo box - mostly beauty and a few fashion, Yankee, Easi-yo, Kipling, and Lola rose. I then fast forward through them and only stop and watch stuff that catches my eye. this occurs quite rarely unless I need to watch a demo of make- up. I only buy if the price is good eg TSV, OTO or other offer. Even if I don't buy I find I get a good idea of what is out there and may then buy from HS or other online outlets. Nearly always get Kipling bags from Amazon these days - one came today nearly half price.
I agree and I have just ordered a Kipling bag from Amazon which is at least 40% cheaper than Q and free P&P.

I started with QVC when i had (real) flu and lay on the sofa, 24/7 for days. I found it reassuring.

But i have always tried for lower prices on ebay or online. Nowadays i buy 'last clicks', occasional easy payments and the odd big purchase -handbag or clothing - usually after careful deliberation and price comparisons.

For a while, i bought skincare, but so little of it suits my skin that i wasted a lot of money. But not really wasted. My skin is good for my age, and now that i know what does and doesn't suit, i am making really canny purchases. Sometimes the Q, usually ebay.

My eyes are really sensitive to the kind of rubbish they put in cheap brands. Discovering that better quality (elemis, decleor, gatineau, judith williams...) brands don't make my eyes sore was a delightful revelation. I will always be grateful for that!

Well i rarely watch any shows on Q anymore , I record the odd show im interested in but often dont get around to watching it :( Weirdly the less i watch Q the more i buy :( that must say something about the presenters and guests and the repetitive shows :mysmilie_59:

I probably don't watch as much as before but still dip in and out on a weekly basis!! I have never recorded a show and hear quite a few people saying they do and think it's mainly to watch the presenter!!? If I don't see it live - then may catch their other channels now and again - much prefer the live presentations!!! :mysmilie_59:

I very much agree with other posters. I wasn't in on QVC at the start but found it when my boys were younger and still at school. It was a lifesaver on nights when they were ill and sleeping very poorly, they wouldn't sleep now with all the noise and hard sell. I only buy Laura Geller but it is now available elsewhere in the UK so I now look around. I got the Josie Maran TSV as I wanted to try more of her range after buying the Argan oil last year on holiday. This forum is what I usually check to see what is coming up and for reviews on products.

I probably don't watch as much as before but still dip in and out on a weekly basis!! I have never recorded a show and hear quite a few people saying they do and think it's mainly to watch the presenter!!? If I don't see it live - then may catch their other channels now and again - much prefer the live presentations!!! :mysmilie_59:

You don't want to read any of the comments under some of the you tube QVC clips then. Usually the name of the poster gives you an idea before you start. :mysmilie_466:

I used to watch loads, before I found so many of the presenters so irritating. When I first discovered it (think it was 2000) I watched for hours most days. As time's gone on more and more presenters and guests have got on my wick, as has the utterly shocking customer "service" a lot of the time. Now I watch if there's a skincare or make up show with one of the few combinations of presenter and guest who don't irritate the piss out of me. Keeley is my favourite guest to listen to. She talks a load of utter rubbish and says a lot of words wrongly, but her voice is just lovely and she's very relaxing and nice to listen to. I also really like Terry from Josie Maran, she's very soothing to listen to. I cannot bear shouty, shrieky, screechy, torturous people like Mally. I watch the occasional jewellery, handbag or kitchen show but most often beauty. There's maybe one show a fortnight that interests me.
I hardly buy anything because so few of the brands are suitable for my skin/hair, some are overrated, some overpriced... I've bought 3 things this year, at one point I probably bought a hundred or more.

I was watching QVC from the late 90's and loved it (although I didn't buy more than 3 or 4 things per year) When I got into my late twenties and early thirties I had ditched a long term partner and was single again. I never watched Q for a whole 4 years and purchased nothing. I was too busy going on disastrous dates, rehearsing for my am dram and working full time. Then I met hubby and started to watch Q again, we would get in from work and cook dinner or go out, but I used to wait up for th molten brown TSV's at midnight! Then came maternity leave in 2010 and that was when I think Q went downhill. I watched only the odd show (Mally or Yankee or Ninja) but nothing else. I dip in and out for 5 mins or so here and there. I buy off the App now after reading this forum.

I too have been with QVC since the beginning. We used to buy lots of things - the gold diamonique, lots of the cleaning products, various different pieces of jewellery, all sorts of different things. I still have, and use regularly, a Bissell Pro-Heat carpet cleaner that I must have purchased around 15 years ago as a TSV as the price was fanatstic. And yes we used to stay up often to see what the TSV would be as back then there was no prior notice of what it was and the only way you would find out was at midnight!

Nowadays I only really buy the odd TSV from some of the beauty ranges, and only if it's really good value for money and contains products that I will definitely use. I've discovered that many of the beauty brands that Q offer can be purchased more cheaply on sites such as feelunique which also offer free postage, thereby saving you even more so I definitely shop around before making a decision to purchase.
I do still watch quite often, but that's mainly just having the TV on in the background. Or if there's a particular beauty show that I like I may tune in just to pick up some tips and tricks.

So it's definitely not what it used to be!

I'm the same as most people who have posted .I didn't watch in the very beginning,too busy ,but started after a few years. I have been through phases of buying sometimes nothing for a couple of years then a lot of impulse buys.I think my buying was affected by what was going on in my life at the time.The impulse buying I think I was trying to make myself feel good after going through a period of depression.Im over that now and my buying has changed.

Like others I watch more sporadically now and channel hop.I hardly buy anything unless i really need it,dont go on wait list or advanced orders ,especially since finding this site which I came across when trying to find out what happened to Debbie G and Julian.

I'm not put off by any particular presenters but am much more aware of the sales techniques.

I used to watch a lot of Q at the beginning; first thing I bought was Liz Earle's cleanse and polish. I got a bit bored with her shows it became same old spiel every time and that poor aloe vera plant that got chopped every time madam Liz was on. Now I'm just a bit too long in the tooth to listen to the rubbish that they all spout so I can probably manage 10 to 15 minute chunks at a time (only if I take my meds).:mysmilie_10:

I have been through phases of buying sometimes nothing for a couple of years then a lot of impulse buys. I think my buying was affected by what was going on in my life at the time. The impulse buying I think I was trying to make myself feel good after going through a period of depression.

I can totally sympathise with that as that's what I'm tending to be doing now myself. Not the buying from QVC, just the buying in general. Sometimes have to stop myself browsing the internet as it always ends up in purchasing SOMETHING just for that feel good hit when it comes through the door :doh: :wonder: :confused:

I can totally sympathise with that as that's what I'm tending to be doing now myself. Not the buying from QVC, just the buying in general. Sometimes have to stop myself browsing the internet as it always ends up in purchasing SOMETHING just for that feel good hit when it comes through the door :doh: :wonder: :confused:

I bet most of us can identify with this if we are honest. I am so grateful for this forum as it has stopped me buying on many occasions. Beauty TSVs are my downfall but reading honest comments on here have really helped me avoid buying. Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back