I Pads ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Jeez I do not feel it is the schools place to say that any child needs a particular piece of electronic equipment!

I don't understand how children are going to school hungry,if parents can't work this country has a very good benefits system.
Lynn

People working for minimum wage struggle as it is not a "living wage" so if people on minimum wage can't make ends meet then many on benefits won't as the benefits are far from being near a "living wage" too.

The school is an academy so is not a private/fee paying type of school. The children come from a variety of different backgrounds, some live locally and are from wealthier areas but two bus loads are brought in from a 'poorer' area.

The more I think about it the more I think the Head has made a mistake requesting that all children (in the 6th form) are bought an I Pad to help with their studies. I might call him tomorrow to discuss this in more detail.

Its true that children are sent to school on a daily basis all round the country without breakfast. Sadly one or two don't have dinner either and only have their free meal at school. The Headmistress in our children's primary school used to regularly have a child in her office in the mornings eating toast and having a cup of tea (which she used to make for them). They had usually been brought to her for misbehaving, says it all really.

At my daughter's primary school the school has supplied under 20 IPads which all relevant classes share as needed. The children share within the class ...... the IPads remain in school

That sounds like a better system if they really need ipads, can't help thinking we've coped for years without them in school and I'm not sure what they really add that teachers couldn't do.

Side issue, but all these touch screen things are going to be bug central in the coming seasons.

nothing against ipads my granddaughter when she was one was playing with my I-pod music thing. it was a party piece watching her playing games etc on it. I just thik we have to be more realistic regarding affordability. some teachers are daft imo

Well I don't have an iPad but I have used one doing fun stuff like Pinterest. So I don't understand how they are used in school. But I do feel that if these apps can only be used/run on an Apple iPad or the latest version of an Apple and not just any brand of tablet then that pretty much says it. Marketing and driving a new generation to a specific brand such as Apple is more what it's about than anything else. Catch them as kids then you have a customer for life.

Apple have enough money without schools encouraging kids to get an ipad - surely if news gets out then kids will be getting mugged?

Well I don't have an iPad but I have used one doing fun stuff like Pinterest. So I don't understand how they are used in school. But I do feel that if these apps can only be used/run on an Apple iPad or the latest version of an Apple and not just any brand of tablet then that pretty much says it. Marketing and driving a new generation to a specific brand such as Apple is more what it's about than anything else. Catch them as kids then you have a customer for life.

There are thousands of apps out there which have truly valid educational potential from things like periodic tables through to languages and everything inbetween. Also the schools now have access to tools which allow them to create educational ebooks that include lots of material and can no doubt make the learning experience much more fun and interactive which I believe is what kids are getting used to with having access to computers far more readily. Lets face it, books are boring to today's kids so if there's a fun way to engage them in learning, it should be grabbed with both hands but I can appreciate the financial burden that can then result in.

With regards to marketing. the entire ecosystem is self-perpetuating. iPads are the most successful tablets out there, so its only natural that developers write their apps for it and other platforms are usually considered as an afterthought. If the educational app market swells more, then more buy iPads. Google are gaining headway with the android system but their problem is they've allowed it to be fragmented so much you end up with one tablet which can run X app and another which cant because the manufacturers haven't licensed it or updated their tablets to the minimum required version set by the developers. It fasts turns into an administrative nightmare for anyone trying to manage anything like that so love it or hate it; Apple actually makes it easier which then again feeds back into the ecosystem cycle above.

" Marketing and driving a new generation to a specific brand such as Apple is more what it's about than anything else. Catch them as kids then you have a customer for life."

Wind the clock back several years..the same thing happened when computers first entered schools. Schools where given BBC computers on very good deal, the schools then recommended them to the parents for their children to do their course and homework on.

Don't Apple offer a student discount on iPads? Not suggesting you buy one but if you are going to then ask the question but you'll have to go to Apple direct not a reseller.

I popped into my local electrical store today to ask the assistant a few questions about the I-Pads as opposed to the other tablets. I'm amazed that unless you buy a '3G' version you have to buy a sim card, which is pay as you go to access the internet? Oh my goodness, I feel ancient (I'm not honestly), but this pressure of tablet buying has left me feeling I'm still in the dark ages.

I popped into my local electrical store today to ask the assistant a few questions about the I-Pads as opposed to the other tablets. I'm amazed that unless you buy a '3G' version you have to buy a sim card, which is pay as you go to access the internet? Oh my goodness, I feel ancient (I'm not honestly), but this pressure of tablet buying has left me feeling I'm still in the dark ages.

If you have the ability to have your internet at home wireless to your laptop, you can get a wi-fi only iPad (the cheaper of the two) and you don't need a sim card you can use your home broadband or any other wi-fi public or friends internet (like cafes etc) if you wish to have the internet anywhere, then you need the more expensive 3g version and need a sim card from a mobile provider.

Don't hesitate to pm for further help :)

PJ

If you have the ability to have your internet at home wireless to your laptop, you can get a wi-fi only iPad (the cheaper of the two) and you don't need a sim card you can use your home broadband or any other wi-fi public or friends internet (like cafes etc) if you wish to have the internet anywhere, then you need the more expensive 3g version and need a sim card from a mobile provider.

Don't hesitate to pm for further help :)

PJ
Very kind of you, thank you:sun:

Better off asking on the net than in a shop - they don't usually know much!

Very kind of you, thank you:sun:

Also, if you have an iPhone, you can set it up as a hotspot and connect your wi-fi only ipad to it (thereby using your iPhones 3/4G signal)...Saves spending an extra £100 for the 3/4G model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Back