I thought I only disliked Ophelia as a presenter......

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've also noticed that the energy companies use "friendly" northern accents to reassure you if your bill is a bit expensive & you can't afford to turn the heating up/on...and for some reason we seem to get "edgy" european accents when they're desperately trying to flog their electric cars...laughable.
....Or perfume/aftershaves. FGS if only we could bring back Henry Cooper telling us to splash it all over!

Yes, I've noticed it. I'm in the North of Britain and I've noticed that many adverts - especially any kind of government thing or energy thing, the voice in the adverts is a broad Yorkshire or Geordie accent talking to the listener like they are two sandwiches short of a picnic. Totally gets my goat. And why are people with "personalities" always fat people? I don't mean to offend by saying fat but I believe in saying it as it is (and I've been quite fat in my time).

CC
I’m fat but I’m as boring as hell ! My brother and sister got the chatty personality genes !

I’m fat but I’m as boring as hell ! My brother and sister got the chatty personality genes !
If your posts on here are anything to go by, then I seriously doubt that's true!!! Off at a tangent (again!) I do wish people would treat slimmer people with a bit more respect. I've always been on the slim side but quite a few years ago I managed to pile on quite a few pounds and I didn't feel comfortable with it so I went to slimming world and it worked wonders and I managed to get down below my target weight. I remember we had to write our short and long term goals when we signed up and mine was to fit into a size 14 dress by the summer (this was round about March time) but by that summer my dress size was 10/12. I wasn't particularly interested in dropping any more dress sizes but keeping up with the Slimming World plan meant that I did, and it wasn't the kindly folk who were telling me that I'd taken it too far, that I looked gaunt, suggested that I wasn't eating enough (anyone who's done slimming world will know that isn't true) I knew I couldn't carry on on that trajectory so I returned to my old ways and although I did flesh out a bit more I settled back to a comfortable size 10/12 and for some reason I'm happy to stay I've remained that way. A couple of my friends love to have a "dig" which of course they dress up as concern "Have you lost more weight"? "You're looking really skinny" so of course I reply "no" (because it's true, I haven't) I get "are you sure?" How much do you weigh then?" Between 8st 7 and 9st I'd guess "PFFFT 7 stone more like was the response!!!!! After weighing myself later I was pretty much spot on as I was 8.st 8. Then a few weeks later we were at one of the friends houses and talk turned to weight and of course" we can't all be skinny minnies like Suz, how much did you say you weigh?" I told them AGAIN and said tell you what, have you got a set of bathroom scales? If so bring 'em down, so stripped of my boots and jumper I was left standing in a vest top and a pair of leggings and showed them that I weighed exactly what I said I did - Hmm they must be really thick leggings!!!! Another friend in this group who is a large lady joined slimming world with me but for some reason she didn't lose very much weight so resorted to having bariatic surgery, she lost a good 6 stone and it really suited her, unfortunately it's all gone back on, God knows how, she doesn't seem to eat much. Thing is with her nobody mentions it because it's socially unacceptable, well not in front of her anyway. I'll give them that they will compliment her on something else "That's nice pair of earrings, that's a pretty dress etc" and I'm all for that as everybody likes a compliment especially if they're feeling a bit down, but when her back is turned it's blimey she's piled it back on, and at the taxpayers expense, I mean she got that band on the NHS so it's us who've paid for that, I reminded the person who made that bitchy comment that she pays her taxes too and this surgery can be successful and has changed the lives of many people. The two main perpetrators of these comments about the too skinny and the too fat are neither slim nor fat. One is short and dumpy with large hips but dresses well for her shape, the other one is medium size but has a bit of a belly so is self conscious when wearing tighter fitting clothes and again dresses well for her shape, but they both seem to have a problem with what other people look like. I wouldn't dream of giving either of them anything but compliments! They can dress it up as concern all they like, they know us well enough to realise that we aren't starving ourselves/pigging out/regurgitating/vomiting/chugging down laxatives - Just what is wrong with people?! Genuine concern for friends and family is something that needs proper, discreet handling and meaningful conversations not bitchy comments!

There was an article about Pippa Middleton in the Daily Mail this morning and people were commenting on / criticising her being too thin, with a boyish figure etc.

I think we’ve forgotten what a naturally slim body looks like. We are ourselves or at least surrounded by overweight people, plus size clothes are widely available, “fat shaming” is frowned on, women are praised in the media for loving their bodies even if obese etc.

The nub of the matter is - fat is no good for our health and fitness. People who work to maintain a good weight are to be respected.

You're definitely NOT boring EM!

As for Pippa Middleton, I thought she looked fantastic in those bikinis. I've never had the confidence to wear one so I was a bit jealous - although she's a lot younger than me. I don't think she's too thin at all.

CC

I've watched This Morning since I had to retire with ill health. I watch it for a few segments like the medical, cookery, fashion, beauty and papers.

The last few years it's been getting worse and worse. The presenters sit together waiting for the cookery guests to do their bit but they just talk crap over them. The guests try to explain their ingredients and steps in a limited time but I see some getting flustered because of the annoying presenters butting in and talking to them.

Very much like the annoying presenters interrupting the guests halfway through their description just to tell viewers something's going fast and you need to buy now etc.

Phil and Holly really outgrew their boots. I saw their on-telly personalities get ruder and ruder over the years. I see Hammond following them. I'm bordering on angry when I see her smile at the camera while tucking a beauty item or whatever into her bra. FFS! She's a highly paid person who can more than easily afford anything they show on air.

She's off-putting on the food items, too. She digs into everything then walks on. I wonder if that food then gets wasted. I hate needless wastage!

She's also managed to get friends on TM and some of them are simply idiots and amateurs. Dermott has tried to be the voice of reason on the programme - I'd love to know what he really thinks.

She's a really bad fit for Paul's old programme. I believe she's only recently become a pet owner and certainly never came across as a dog lover on TM. Other presenters always greet the animals and give them a bit of love but she's always been reluctant. I can't imagine her being so loving and patient as Paul was. That's the only programme that's regularly brought me to tears. I miss him. I'm sure the dogs miss him, too.

The new hosts? He's bland and Cat Deeley seems a bit dense. Thank the lord for fast-forwarding!
Totally agree. She;'s just ticking a box for ITV so now they are offering her any programme despite her not being suitable. She'll never be as good as Paul O Grady. In fact she's more likely to scare the vulnerable animals in Battersea with her booming voice & grating cackle.

If your posts on here are anything to go by, then I seriously doubt that's true!!! Off at a tangent (again!) I do wish people would treat slimmer people with a bit more respect. I've always been on the slim side but quite a few years ago I managed to pile on quite a few pounds and I didn't feel comfortable with it so I went to slimming world and it worked wonders and I managed to get down below my target weight. I remember we had to write our short and long term goals when we signed up and mine was to fit into a size 14 dress by the summer (this was round about March time) but by that summer my dress size was 10/12. I wasn't particularly interested in dropping any more dress sizes but keeping up with the Slimming World plan meant that I did, and it wasn't the kindly folk who were telling me that I'd taken it too far, that I looked gaunt, suggested that I wasn't eating enough (anyone who's done slimming world will know that isn't true) I knew I couldn't carry on on that trajectory so I returned to my old ways and although I did flesh out a bit more I settled back to a comfortable size 10/12 and for some reason I'm happy to stay I've remained that way. A couple of my friends love to have a "dig" which of course they dress up as concern "Have you lost more weight"? "You're looking really skinny" so of course I reply "no" (because it's true, I haven't) I get "are you sure?" How much do you weigh then?" Between 8st 7 and 9st I'd guess "PFFFT 7 stone more like was the response!!!!! After weighing myself later I was pretty much spot on as I was 8.st 8. Then a few weeks later we were at one of the friends houses and talk turned to weight and of course" we can't all be skinny minnies like Suz, how much did you say you weigh?" I told them AGAIN and said tell you what, have you got a set of bathroom scales? If so bring 'em down, so stripped of my boots and jumper I was left standing in a vest top and a pair of leggings and showed them that I weighed exactly what I said I did - Hmm they must be really thick leggings!!!! Another friend in this group who is a large lady joined slimming world with me but for some reason she didn't lose very much weight so resorted to having bariatic surgery, she lost a good 6 stone and it really suited her, unfortunately it's all gone back on, God knows how, she doesn't seem to eat much. Thing is with her nobody mentions it because it's socially unacceptable, well not in front of her anyway. I'll give them that they will compliment her on something else "That's nice pair of earrings, that's a pretty dress etc" and I'm all for that as everybody likes a compliment especially if they're feeling a bit down, but when her back is turned it's blimey she's piled it back on, and at the taxpayers expense, I mean she got that band on the NHS so it's us who've paid for that, I reminded the person who made that bitchy comment that she pays her taxes too and this surgery can be successful and has changed the lives of many people. The two main perpetrators of these comments about the too skinny and the too fat are neither slim nor fat. One is short and dumpy with large hips but dresses well for her shape, the other one is medium size but has a bit of a belly so is self conscious when wearing tighter fitting clothes and again dresses well for her shape, but they both seem to have a problem with what other people look like. I wouldn't dream of giving either of them anything but compliments! They can dress it up as concern all they like, they know us well enough to realise that we aren't starving ourselves/pigging out/regurgitating/vomiting/chugging down laxatives - Just what is wrong with people?! Genuine concern for friends and family is something that needs proper, discreet handling and meaningful conversations not bitchy comments!
It's the 'nature of the beast,' I think Merry. Your acquaintances - I wouldn't call them friends - are, of course, envious of your slim figure and wish they could look like you. My experience is that men and women will always gossip behind people's backs, especially where weight is concerned. The other day, I was sitting in a coffee shop and a group of people, about four men and one woman, were chatting and joking quite loudly. They were standing up. The woman left the cafe after a while, , and as soon as she was gone, the men started to discuss her age and her makeup, and not in a nice way. I don't think they discussed her weight, but that probably would have come up later, because they were pulling the poor woman apart. Congratulations on keeping your weight where you feel comfortable. It's not easy and the people in your circle know that.

It's the 'nature of the beast,' I think Merry. Your acquaintances - I wouldn't call them friends - are, of course, envious of your slim figure and wish they could look like you. My experience is that men and women will always gossip behind people's backs, especially where weight is concerned. The other day, I was sitting in a coffee shop and a group of people, about four men and one woman, were chatting and joking quite loudly. They were standing up. The woman left the cafe after a while, , and as soon as she was gone, the men started to discuss her age and her makeup, and not in a nice way. I don't think they discussed her weight, but that probably would have come up later, because they were pulling the poor woman apart. Congratulations on keeping your weight where you feel comfortable. It's not easy and the people in your circle know that.
I agree, and I think in my case and in general it's ok to speak to somebody who is slim in a thoughtless manner. I remember a conversation at work which included a woman who is a proper petite, we were talking bikinis v full swim suits and this lady said that she liked to wear a full swimsuit with a little skirt as she's conscious of her belly and the tops of her thighs - The response (not from me I hasten to add) was "SHUT UP, there's nothing of you! and "I wish I had your "problem"! Poor woman went red and added that at her age, she also feels more comfortable wearing more substantial swimwear. Again the response was something along the lines of "F...k your age, wear what you ****** well want"! Had nobody listened to her? 'cause that's exactly what she was doing!
When it comes to the larger ladies, any comments that is likely to make them feel bad or sad is saved until their back is turned, but if you are slim then you're fair game and somehow it doesn't matter! This needs to stop especially when it comes to stories like the Pippa Middleton one that was mentioned, it reinforces that idea that this sort of behaviour is the social norm!

🤔 I think we all figured that out Awfelia 🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240219-134840_Lite.jpg
    Screenshot_20240219-134840_Lite.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 0
Resting bitch face ? New one on me ! It used to be called "face like a busted clock" or "mouth full of wasps". Still, if someone has called her out that she didn't think she was liked by Ophelia then perhaps her attitude is as bad as her diction.

Why did she post that at all? Very strange. Body shaming of any sort is wrong, plain and simple. It's the person, not the body, that's important. Me personally? I'm too fat (good old English word, that) and too ill-disciplined to get the weight off. But the upside is that I help keep the wheels of industry in the biscuit sector turning and workers in those factories have jobs because of people like me. :)

Why did she post that at all? Very strange. Body shaming of any sort is wrong, plain and simple. It's the person, not the body, that's important. Me personally? I'm too fat (good old English word, that) and too ill-disciplined to get the weight off. But the upside is that I help keep the wheels of industry in the biscuit sector turning and workers in those factories have jobs because of people like me. :)
I am struggling to shift my middle age spread which is spreading fast! But I do worry that my facial wrinkles will multiply if I do lose weight and prove that all that money spent on skin care was a waste!

I am struggling to shift my middle age spread which is spreading fast! But I do worry that my facial wrinkles will multiply if I do lose weight and prove that all that money spent on skin care was a waste!
It does seem to happen that the face loses fat when people drastically lose weight. I suppose you have to ask yourself which is better - thin face or large bum.

It does seem to happen that the face loses fat when people drastically lose weight. I suppose you have to ask yourself which is better - thin face or large bum.
So true. Much better to carry a bit of weight in older age and you'll never need botox.
I've said before on here, due to illness last year I lost almost 4 stone - not what you need at 75. So I might now have the body I wanted when i was 25, ( though naked it's another story ), but my face is a disaster to what it was. However, it's better than the alternative 😉

So true. Much better to carry a bit of weight in older age and you'll never need botox.
I've said before on here, due to illness last year I lost almost 4 stone - not what you need at 75. So I might now have the body I wanted when i was 25, ( though naked it's another story ), but my face is a disaster to what it was. However, it's better than the alternative 😉
Sorry to hear of your illness.

Latest posts

Back