I wonder if the presenters get really bored..

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I can't remember whether it was Eva or Zsa Zsa who was on the Michael Parkinson show with Peter Cook years ago. It was absolutely hilarious. He was so awful to her but it was very funny. Would lve to see that again.

Apparently it was on the Eamonn Andrews show in the 1960s, and it's been wiped :sad:

But I found this:

“From the beginning of 1968, Peter became a regular and much requested guest on The Eamonn Andrews Show, the principal TV chat show of the time. One of his earliest appearances, recorded…on 8 January, set the tone for the rest of the series: Andrews spoke to each of the guests in turn, soliciting bogus showbiz compliments for the Hollywood star Zsa Zsa Gabor, who sat alongside him blushing, batting her eyelashes and stroking the small dog that sat in her lap. ‘Who do you think is the real Zsa Zsa?’ gushed the Irishman. The other guests obliged with suitably fulsome remarks before Peter, reclining languidly, fag in hand, replied that the real Zsa Zsa was almost certainly a vain, untalented non-event…The fur flew, literally in the dog’s case, Zsa Zsa pointing out that Peter was the rudest young man she had ever met, who would well to get his hair cut. ‘It doesn’t matter, because I’m a raving poof anyway,’ retorted Peter to a round of audience applause. The row continued for weeks afterward by telegram, and Peter later predicted that when he finally expired the newspaper headlines would read ‘Zsa Zsa man dies.’ The show’s producer’s were delighted, and made his a semi-regular booking as a consequence.”

A decade or two later, Clive James asked “You never really liked Zsa Zsa, did you?” Cook said “Oh yes. We were more than friends. We were enemies.”

the mythomaniac

You know how you wake up in the morning and realise that you have a work day in front of you that is going to be no pleasure at all, well I often wonder what happens before the presenters go on air to present something that they find really boring or are simply sick of talking about. Do they sit in the dressing room psyching themselves up do you think?

For example, if I had to present a craft hour or enthuse about that Diet Chef stuff I would be soooo in trouble. Not to mention the electronic hours with back-ups and hard drives and mega pixels and 3 bliddy D.

How does someone like Pipa or Alison Keenan manage to seem sincere about Michele Hope fashions which are clearly not their style at all. The men get an even worse deal (except for Charlie) because they are stuck with DIY, Electronics with a bit of a stint in the kitchen now and then. At least they get fed!

Imagine how tedious it must be to present your 500th hour of Diremoneek and have to talk in an interesting manner about a pair of stud earrings that are just like every other pair of stud earrings in their warehouse.

Imagine having to listen to Liz Earle explaining time and time again about Cleanse and Polish (which I love) and skin boosting skin tonic.

Or an hour of Lock 'n' Lock!

How does a normal human being put up with that sanctimonious Kirks Folly woman and her glitter blowing.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at the annual presenters pie and pea supper and hear what they really have to say about some of the lines they sell. Those "hand painted" christmas musical trinket boxes for example. Or the more gaudy Quacker Factory garments.

I can just see them turning up at the studio of a morning.......

Debbie Flint "right, what I have I got today??? Oh great, a sonic toothbrush with no less than four replacement heads"

Pipa Gordon "think yourself lucky Debs, I have to sit on a stool wearing a puce tee shirt encrusted with sparkles and trimmed with fluff which is ten sizes to big for me and I have to blow on a lipstick stained quacky thing eveytime somebody calls in. Or not.

Julia Roberts "and here's me, with my dancers calves and incredibly high instep trying to seem interested when Dawn Bibby is talking about stamping and die cutting and layering and tea bagging."

Charlie Brook "that's nothing. If I have to do a slow reveal again I am going to get so cross!!!"

Glenn Campbell "think of me, a well know fashion story expert who once had his own shop, having to pretend to love these tatty, crimpalene garments that couldn't be fashion forward in a million years even if worn with a trouser or a little pump or some crisp white city shorts."

Jill Franks "oh gosh, what is a girly girl doing presenting a DIY hour? I LOVE THIS TOOL BAG do they have it in pink"

any more suggestions??

Richard Jackson: If I have to watch that other guest muscling in on my turf again demo-ing
his pathetic hanging baskets I'll chuck a leek!

Latest posts

Back