Joan Rivers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this forum was for expressing opinions about QVC and it's products and presenters I now find myself being verbally abused by a complete stranger.

Sometimes feelings run high on certain issues Betty, as well you know! I don't see anything wrong with what you have written. You don't owe Joan Rivers anything and are not particularly concerned for her. Why can't you say so? I think that's a perfectly reasonable standpoint. However there are lots of people on this forum who feel strongly about compassion, whether it be for animals or fellow humans. I didn't particularly used to like your posts but over time I've found myself agreeing with them more and more. You seem like quite a forthright, no nonsense sort of person. It doesn't make you a "nasty bit of work." Some people have said the same of me in the past. I remember in a thread about the leaping bunny symbol I posted something which I deliberately written to provoke discussion and people went beserk!

I'm a member of several forums and what comes up time and again is that some people cannot accept another person's point of view without taking offence. Too many people take a difference of their opinion as a personal affront to themselves and therein lies the problem. It's because people don't like to think they are wrong about someone so they then start on the defensive and in turn become offensive. Too many people expect others to think like they do and don't like it when they don't. If people don't like Joan Rivers for her humour and if people don't like Dennis Basso because of ethics then it is perfectly in order for them to state their dislike but that dislike doesn't have to be questioned and criticised by others and decay into nastiness. I remember a so called friend falling out with me because I could not agree with her that Michael Jackson could not possibly be guilty of child molestation. I had no idea whether he was guilty or not, but she was convinced he was innocent and could not accept that I was unable to agree with her one way or the other. I had hoped that this forum was not like other forums I frequent so I am disappointed to read some of the posts I have read.

I feel the problem is that people can't just say they dont agree with someone and the other side of the opinion accepting it and then leaving it be.

It is the constant going on and on and only letting it be YOUR side of the argument that has the last say that gets on folks nerves. ( Plus the odd person talking delight in stiring the pot)

Personally I feel sometimes it gets far too political - and you know what they say - never discuss politics or religion with strangers.

Julius I am glad we can agree on something. I am 72 years old and feel I can express my personal feeling about public figures. I have never directly insulted a member of this forum or Inmy own private life. I am fairly easy going buy will not be dictated to about where my sympathies lie. I don't think Joan Rivers showed much compassion to certain members of the human race either.

The World is full of big drums and there`s always some bugger banging them but like all musical instruments some people like the tune being played and some don`t IYKWIM.
Live and let live. We`re all entitled to our opinions about anything or everything and Joan Rivers is just another subject to agree or disagree over, just like LG bags, YK clothes, the price of eggs and AY`s highlighter. Whatever we say or whatever we feel won`t make a jot of difference, either way. Just because someone doesn`t like her or someone doesn`t have sympathy for her, doesn`t mean that person is a nasty piece of work, it just means they think differently.

Here here Vienna. (Or is it hear hear)

Also sometimes posts online same as text messages often get taken the wrong way.

Am I a bad person if I enjoy stirring the pot just a teeny bit in a subtle way (with a teaspoon...) Often my culinary efforts go unnoticed though but my intention is never to offend anybody. I do it to keep a thread going sometimes but my brand of stirring never involves telling a lie. I never say anything just to be outrageous (dare I suggest that Julius may do....ever so slightly!)

I have enough arguments with my youngest son along the same sort of line ...lol....I still love him ..;0) ..

He can be what I call controversial but he has the biggest heart ever ...

Whatever your relationship with a parent the grief is awful . . . .

When my father died I felt nothing. Absolutely nothing. When I was told he was dead I was online debating the declawing of cats with a bunch of Americans on a Newsgroup. I sat there waiting for an emotion to surface, but it didn't, so I got on with the debate. Nineteen years on I still feel nothing. You can only feel grief if you feel loss.

Dennis Basso funds his lavish lifestyle from the slaughter of animals,plenty of people buy his overpriced fake fur coats,I like Joan she has always made me laugh and I hope she recovers .
Lynn

Joan Rivers supports Basso's slaughter of animals, so I couldn't care less whether she recovers. The animals, on the other hand, I care about deeply.

Hello Scout! Today I bought myself some Astonish coconut handwash. I chose it because I liked the coconut scent and it also had the leaping bunny symbol. It's vegan approved too! I thought of you when I chose it! Bizarre but true!

On the contrary, Betty's comment is honest - nothing more, nothing less.

Hardly, Scout. Betty's comment that 'Joan Rivers is a vain and greedy woman' is very much not a fact: it is an opinion. The very adjectives are subjective and loaded with value judgements. She is perfectly entitled to hold that opinion, however, and I am entitled to judge it as tasteless, as she has allowed me. What I do not approve of here is her (Betty) being personally attacked in the way she has. That is unnecessary.

Anyway, it would be quite ridiculous for a load of forumites to fall out over an American comedienne whom I doubt anyone has actually met! I do feel sorry for her family though, and having the whole thing played out on international media, every minute detail, must make a difficult time even worse for them. That's why I have compassion for her family, friends and admirers.

Last edited:
Hello Scout! Today I bought myself some Astonish coconut handwash. I chose it because I liked the coconut scent and it also had the leaping bunny symbol. It's vegan approved too! I thought of you when I chose it! Bizarre but true!

First came across this range at a vegan fair and Poundstretcher sell it. They are not the easiest dispenser to manoeuvre though, the old arthritis needs all the help it can get!

First came across this range at a vegan fair and Poundstretcher sell it. They are not the easiest dispenser to manoeuvre though, the old arthritis needs all the help it can get!

Yes the pump thing is a bit fiddly. It took me about 10 minutes to get it to dispense but I really like this product. It actually seems quite watery but it lathers up well, is mild and has a nice coconut scent to it. One pump is all that is needed per wash. It's inexpensive and lasts for ages!

Ooh Lovinamist I just had an idea. Have you seen those automatic soap dispensers. You simply put your hand underneath the nozzle and dispenses just the right amount of soap. You could get one of those and put the Astonish in there!

http://mannurat.com/automatic-soap-dispenser/automatic-soap-dispenser-mannurat-picture-012/

Be careful which one you get because some only take a special refill. Others you can fill with any old soap!

Last edited:
I also bought he Astonish hand wash and thought it was as good as most others I have tried and I too like the coconut smell and for £1. An absolute bargain.

The first astonish hand wash i got was the chocolate orange one, smelled lovely, but the next chocolate orange one smelled not so good. Just finishing the coconut now, hubby loves it.

Yes! More votes for the Astonish coconut soap! Everyone I've introduced it to loves it! I've even dispensed some into a small squeezy bottle that I carry with me when I'm out. I have an irrational fear of going to a bathroom that doesn't have any soap!

It is a heartbreaking situation ...she has family and a grandchild ... ....

I'm sorry, but a woman in her 80s who's lived a full and successful life coming to the end of that life really isn't heartbreaking. It's natural and she's lucky. Ashya King facing death from a brain tumour at the age of 5 - now that's heartbreaking.

I feel the problem is that people can't just say they dont agree with someone and the other side of the opinion accepting it and then leaving it be.

It is the constant going on and on and only letting it be YOUR side of the argument that has the last say that gets on folks nerves. ( Plus the odd person talking delight in stiring the pot)

Personally I feel sometimes it gets far too political - and you know what they say - never discuss politics or religion with strangers.

Yes, it's like groundhog day.

Sounds lovely where do u buy this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back