Help Support ShoppingTelly:

TheManWithNoName

Registered Shopper
This monstrosity was on this afternoon.

Dyed Quartz in gold plating - £129!!

Seriously?
Screen Shot 02-09-24 at 03.48 PM.JPG

Utterly bonkers.

A few years ago, a friend was going to the Balearics for a break with her fiancé. She showed me her wardrobe and asked for something to wear in the evening sunshine at the dinner table. I bought her a full suite in uncoated sterling silver, set with green - dyed, obviously - onyx. Pretty & not catastrophic if lost or stolen. All for around £50.

The whole ethos at Gemporia has shifted to the idea of "investment", which is the thing I find a bit distasteful, and has moved away from affordable jewellery, set with gemstones. It used to set them apart from Next, Claires Accessories, Sock Shop, Thomas Tsabo and the like. Now, I'm not so sure. Even properly vintage costume jewellery from 1980s, such as that from Trifari or Monet, looks better.

This monstrosity was on this afternoon.

Dyed Quartz in gold plating - £129!!

Seriously?View attachment 27731
Today they were selling a coated topaz ring in sterling silver for 149 pounds. They called it Paraiba colour to justify the price. It's totally insane. But people keep buying, so they are encouraged to continue

Three examples of red "stone" neckwear attached. Edwardian or Victorian, all paste but set in silver, 9K and 18K gold ranging from £80 to £139.

Attachments

• il_794xN.5260424895_heb5.jpg
    il_794xN.5260424895_heb5.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
  • il_794xN.5154658163_h7hg.jpg
    il_794xN.5154658163_h7hg.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 0
  • il_794xN.5380820196_3wy8.jpg
    il_794xN.5380820196_3wy8.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0
So with prices, they were selling this as such a bargain, way under and Jadeite is very expensive, so can someone explain why this is so 'cheap' then, when watching this I was searching and only could find similar on eBay etc

i.e. is this cr@p ?

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 11.41.40.png

So with prices, they were selling this as such a bargain, way under and Jadeite is very expensive, so can someone explain why this is so 'cheap' then, when watching this I was searching and only could find similar on eBay etc

i.e. is this cr@p ?

View attachment 27744

It's because Jadeite should be a kind of Apple Green colour - but this is barely green and more 'grey'.

It's not a desirable colour of Jadeite - and the people that they claim "can't get enough of it" (the Chinese), don't want it.

The only way they can get a desirable colour is by dyeing it - but then people still don't want it because it then becomes Type B / Type C Jadeite at that point.

The only people that think this stuff is any good is the clowns selling it (Troth and TJC). Everyone else can see it for the junk that it is.

More misleading on Gemporia today

"Ruby Quartz".

Viewers messaging in saying things like, as one example, "I love the things you can bring to us - this kind of material is usually fissure filled".

So the viewer clearly though it was Ruby.

It was DYED QUARTZ!

Nothing to do with Ruby at all.
I actually came to this forum to post about this. Toby kept saying it was 'naturally occuring' and 'a new variety', which no doubt added to the confusion of many viewers

I actually came to this forum to post about this. Toby kept saying it was 'naturally occuring' and 'a new variety', which no doubt added to the confusion of many viewers
It's disgraceful. There was nothing "naturally occurring" at all.

I would have reported it to the ASA - but I've reported that many this year, they'll ignore any other complaints that I lodge because they'll see it as a vendetta against the channel rather than a genuine complaint.

This pitch was BLATANT misleading. It wasn't even discreet.

It's because Jadeite should be a kind of Apple Green colour - but this is barely green and more 'grey'.

It's not a desirable colour of Jadeite - and the people that they claim "can't get enough of it" (the Chinese), don't want it.

The only way they can get a desirable colour is by dyeing it - but then people still don't want it because it then becomes Type B / Type C Jadeite at that point.

The only people that think this stuff is any good is the clowns selling it (Troth and TJC). Everyone else can see it for the junk that it is.

ah thank you, it is not green in any shape or form and they sold it as white ... Green was only mentioned when the usual 27M sale at Sotheby's was mentioned

ah thank you, it is not green in any shape or form and they sold it as white ... Green was only mentioned when the usual 27M sale at Sotheby's was mentioned
They're pushing it by calling it white too (the 'purer' the colour, the more expensive it is).

It's a murky grey really.

Why can't these channels just call it what it is, and price it on what it is, rather than trying to make out its something it isn't just to try to justify pushing the price up.

They're pushing it by calling it white too (the 'purer' the colour, the more expensive it is).

It's a murky grey really.

Why can't these channels just call it what it is, and price it on what it is, rather than trying to make out its something it isn't just to try to justify pushing the price up.
who would buy that thinking that was a fair price and could not sell for thousands though ? it is ugly and frankly I find Jade that ..of course on Gemporia it appears they are going for the Chinese buyers ?

Utterly bonkers.

A few years ago, a friend was going to the Balearics for a break with her fiancé. She showed me her wardrobe and asked for something to wear in the evening sunshine at the dinner table. I bought her a full suite in uncoated sterling silver, set with green - dyed, obviously - onyx. Pretty & not catastrophic if lost or stolen. All for around £50.

The whole ethos at Gemporia has shifted to the idea of "investment", which is the thing I find a bit distasteful, and has moved away from affordable jewellery, set with gemstones. It used to set them apart from Next, Claires Accessories, Sock Shop, Thomas Tsabo and the like. Now, I'm not so sure. Even properly vintage costume jewellery from 1980s, such as that from Trifari or Monet, looks better.
The joke is that although they continually give the impression you are making an 'investment', I wonder just how many people over the years have been shocked by how much they were offered for their 'investment' when they tried to sell? We'll never know!

In my opinion, selly telly should be penalized harshly for every time a presenter implies or says outright that something will increase in value. Yes, OK, it's 'buyer beware' out there in the big world when a buyer and seller are face to face, but I still think it's immoral to imply this when you are broadcasting to thousands of faceless people, and there will be those who are vulnerable to carefully-worded implications.

Latest posts

Back