More foul ups.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I hated that when I was office-based and I had endless calls from agencies and salespeople who had me on a mailing list for a monthly or quarterly call, "just touching base to see if I had any requirements". I always used to say that if I did have, I would have been in touch myself (probably with someone else who didn't say "touching base"). More than that, though, I hated it when they said they were "reaching out" to me, meaning simply "contacting". They think it makes them sound trendy and professional - I think it makes them sound pathetic.

Somewhere I have saved the internal glossary that was circulated by the high street bank I used to work for - it was compiled entirely without irony, but with gloriously cringeworthy explanations and thinking about it, I remember more gems such as 'herding cats', 'pushing the envelope', 'boiling the ocean'.

I need to dig that out for a laugh, but in the meantime, how about we start a Q lingo bingo/drinking game (even the hardiest of drinkers will be under the table in no time) - I would like to offer:

- gifting
- superb
- hilarious
- money back guarantee

Anyone else want to add anything?

Somewhere I have saved the internal glossary that was circulated by the high street bank I used to work for - it was compiled entirely without irony, but with gloriously cringeworthy explanations and thinking about it, I remember more gems such as 'herding cats', 'pushing the envelope', 'boiling the ocean'.

I need to dig that out for a laugh, but in the meantime, how about we start a Q lingo bingo/drinking game (even the hardiest of drinkers will be under the table in no time) - I would like to offer:

- gifting
- superb
- hilarious
- money back guarantee

I am sure we could build a very nice list over the coming week or two, Tarketta. Good idea!

This is not so much a general cliche for that list as something specific to Alison Keenan which I observed - on the Cozee launch she said "mighty" or "mightily" three or four times. It struck me because I hardly ever hear it elsewhere.

Proving very popular
I have to say. (Jill F's favourite phrase)
To be honest

It's the same old spiel everyday and it has become spool boring. Popular

Proving very popular
I have to say. (Jill F's favourite phrase)
To be honest

It's the same old spiel everyday and it has become spool boring. Popular

I was once told that people who say "to be honest", "if I'm being honest" or "to tell the truth", etc are highlighting the fact they are generally not honest/truthful so they have to point it out when they are. I know people (and I) use it to mean "if I think about it", though. Anyway, nobody on QVC can be accused of needing to point out when they are being honest ... especially as they never are.

:wonder:

I was once told that people who say "to be honest", "if I'm being honest" or "to tell the truth", etc are highlighting the fact they are generally not honest/truthful so they have to point it out when they are. I know people (and I) use it to mean "if I think about it", though. Anyway, nobody on QVC can be accused of needing to point out when they are being honest ... especially as they never are.

Have to fess up as I'm guilty of using the 'to be honest' phrase, but in my defence, it's usually when stating the bleedin' obvious to someone absolutely clueless

Have to fess up as I'm guilty of using the 'to be honest' phrase, but in my defence, it's usually when stating the bleedin' obvious to someone absolutely clueless

Yeah, I think people use it for emphasis.

Good, goooood - let's keep em coming

Updated card below (pic is so damn small, need to work on making it bigger)!

QLB V2 170217.jpg

Attachments

• QLB V1 170217.jpg
    QLB V1 170217.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 95

- gifting
- superb
- hilarious
- money back guarantee

"Absolutely" (with emphasis on the "A", making a sound like a duck, particularly when used by Jilly H). Did a count one morning. Was about 25 in 2 hours. (Must get a life).

"We are LOVIN....." (used a lot by Chloe).

"Congratulations"...used by Kim Mendelson to insert wherever possible, even though it is out of context.

Rock chick look is another fav of CE

Congratulations if you got that - did I get it free? Did I win it? Was it a present? No I bleeding paid through the nose for it so the only congratulations I need is being a MUG.

It's like when they say every colour and style sold by QVC is a "big fashion trend on the runway/fashion week this Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter" I think it's about time they started backing up all these claims they make, I've got two words for them, yes apart from the obvious two, and that's "prove it!"

"Fabrication"
"Pop of colour"
"Crisp white shirt"
"The story coming through"
"I need you on those phones"

.. and the one that was driving me mad before Christmas..

"Bow and go"

I am sure we could build a very nice list over the coming week or two, Tarketta. Good idea!

This is not so much a general cliche for that list as something specific to Alison Keenan which I observed - on the Cozee launch she said "mighty" or "mightily" three or four times. It struck me because I hardly ever hear it elsewhere.

Yes, she says "jolly good" and things like that, too, she's straight out of an Enid Blyton novel!

Another one like that is "I'm not being funny"! :giggle:

Rock chick look is another fav of CE

Congratulations if you got that - did I get it free? Did I win it? Was it a present? No I bleeding paid through the nose for it so the only congratulations I need is being a MUG.

Exactly what I was about to post, so true!!

Latest posts

Back