New Presenter - Josie

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

leslie61

Registered Shopper
Morning everyone, I'm back. I had to stop watching for a while as it was just too frustrating and annoying, I did however keep up to date with all your postings (which confirmed I was right to stop watching, I felt for you all every time I read a posting).

All that being said, I've just seen, what I presume is Lynn's replacement, and after a few minutes I've turned off. She is painful to watch. It could just be nerves being new but you could see her mind working trying to find things to say, not a natural for TV - pretty girl, love her hair but ......

Morning everyone, I'm back. I had to stop watching for a while as it was just too frustrating and annoying, I did however keep up to date with all your postings (which confirmed I was right to stop watching, I felt for you all every time I read a posting).

All that being said, I've just seen, what I presume is Lynn's replacement, and after a few minutes I've turned off. She is painful to watch. It could just be nerves being new but you could see her mind working trying to find things to say, not a natural for TV - pretty girl, love her hair but ......
She was on the other day. 5 minutes was enough before I turned over.

Another shout-a-lot, hyperactive, annoying presenter that Gemporia seem to love these days.

All that being said, I've just seen, what I presume is Lynn's replacement, and after a few minutes I've turned off. She is painful to watch. It could just be nerves being new
This is shopping telly unrelated, but this made me think of a weather girl (woman). I watch the Japanese channel (in English, I'm not that clever). And there was a new weather person on. Baring in mind she was talking in a second language, but she was very amateurish to the point I felt sorry for her. But, suffice to say, she got better and is still on there, as far as I know. So, maybe, to bring it back to Gems, she may get better? Granted, haven't seen her, as I don't watch TV in the morning.

This is shopping telly unrelated, but this made me think of a weather girl (woman). I watch the Japanese channel (in English, I'm not that clever). And there was a new weather person on. Baring in mind she was talking in a second language, but she was very amateurish to the point I felt sorry for her. But, suffice to say, she got better and is still on there, as far as I know. So, maybe, to bring it back to Gems, she may get better? Granted, haven't seen her, as I don't watch TV in the morning.

Jess Foley and Lindsey Carr have been on Gemporia for years - but they're still as crap now as when they started. Absolutely.

Its certainly not a confidence thing with this new presenter. Very much the opposite actually. She seems overly confident and is already coming across on screen as though she owns the place.

Jess Foley and Lindsey Carr have been on Gemporia for years - but they're still as crap now as when they started. Absolutely.

Its certainly not a confidence thing with this new presenter. Very much the opposite actually. She seems overly confident and is already coming across on screen as though she owns the place.
Never been a fan of Jess, and I've given her a chance. When I do watch her, it's not for long. And Lindsey is 'new' to me too. Yes, I've seen her and 'know' her, but in terms of air time, my 'time' and hers, until recently didn't tally. But in general, all the current presenters, and recently departed ones, have become too loud and gushy, even those who were 'good' at the start. I know it's an aside, but I'd swear the presenters started going downhill (not company: although it is something of a cause and effect), when Steve 'gave' the company to the workers.

Never been a fan of Jess, and I've given her a chance. When I do watch her, it's not for long. And Lindsey is 'new' to me too. Yes, I've seen her and 'know' her, but in terms of air time, my 'time' and hers, until recently didn't tally. But in general, all the current presenters, and recently departed ones, have become too loud and gushy, even those who were 'good' at the start. I know it's an aside, but I'd swear the presenters started going downhill (not company: although it is something of a cause and effect), when Steve 'gave' the company to the workers.

Jess is by far the worst presenter on the channel. I despise everything about her, from the ridiculously false 'shocked' face, the conversations with producers/directors instead of viewers, constant repetition of phrases like "Absolutely" or "alls I can say is" or "I'd advise you to multi-buy as many as you can" - plus everything is always "flying out the front door". She seems to spend a bit of time on Google, comes across a nice new phrase she can say, and then over-use that to death too. She's loving "Jargoon grade" as her latest phrase every time they do Zircon at the moment.

As for the other presenters, the 'type' of presenter seemed to change a while ago when Jake became responsible for overseeing the taking on of presenters. I'm fairly sure they once said that before Jake had that role, it was Drew Nicholls. The presenters then were FAR superior - calm and knowledgeable - the likes of Rae Carpenter, Scott Worsfold, Ruth Linnett, etc.

You're right about the ones that used to be good becoming loud and annoying too. Rosie Wells used to be one of their best presenters. Now she's turned into yet another hard-sell, false shock-face, gift of the gab presenters.

Ellis has gone from being one of the best presenters, to arguably, one of the worst now.

Poppy has also slipped into the hard sell, shock-face routine now too.

The whole channel has become intolerable to watch.

As for the other presenters, the 'type' of presenter seemed to change a while ago when Jake became responsible for overseeing the taking on of presenters. I'm fairly sure they once said that before Jake had that role, it was Drew Nicholls. The presenters then were FAR superior - calm and knowledgeable - the likes of Rae Carpenter, Scott Worsfold, Ruth Linnett, etc.
That makes a lot of sense, so I'm sure you're right.

Just watched 120 seconds of Hattie selling a candle. Struck me that her machine gun style of patter isn't that far off Little Britain's "yeah but no but" Vicky Pollard.

Just now watching Dave drone on and on about mutton fat jade but it’s Hattie and her utterly manic performance that’s so spellbinding. She just can’t stay still for any length of time can she? Her head is always moving and she’s another one who can’t speak without the need to gesture every single word uttered. Her reactions are overdone as well. She seems to be a nice person but I can’t watch for long. You should be able to speak without resorting to gestures for each word. I have never seen anything like this on any other channels. I’ve just noticed that they’re selling Serpentine ( false jade) yet Dave had spent ages discussing Mutton Fat Jade! How sneaky is this!

That makes a lot of sense, so I'm sure you're right.

Just watched 120 seconds of Hattie selling a candle. Struck me that her machine gun style of patter isn't that far off Little Britain's "yeah but no but" Vicky Pollard.

Congratulations on being able to watch Hattie for 120 seconds. That's 119 longer than I can watch her for.

Your prize is a pigeon s**t grey Jadeite bangle and a dyed opal ring that Adina said is good as a £200,000 harlequin opal ring.

Absolutely!

I’ve just noticed that they’re selling Serpentine ( false jade) yet Dave had spent ages discussing Mutton Fat Jade! How sneaky is this!
Very! This is currently being investigated by the ASA. I referred something similar a couple of weeks ago when troth was flogging Serpentine as 'Mountain Jade" on Jewellery Maker.

Just now watching Dave drone on and on about mutton fat jade but it’s Hattie and her utterly manic performance that’s so spellbinding. She just can’t stay still for any length of time can she? Her head is always moving and she’s another one who can’t speak without the need to gesture every single word uttered.

She'd make a good advert for Primal supplements.........................

or "alls I can say is" or "I'd advise you to multi-buy as many as you can" - plus everything is always "flying out the front door".
Those phrases bug me no end. Alls. And I didn't know Drew was a behind the scenes man too. I liked him as a presenter. Did he leave before or after Lucy? I know he used to do stupid o'clock in the morning presenting: Jeff's slot if I recall, so not sure. And Ruth: I like her. Crazy, but knowledgeable in that she held your attention and was entertaining too. Surprised she got away in the night slot with all that shouting about sausages, if I recall. But her silliness was her charm.

And I didn't know Drew was a behind the scenes man too. I liked him as a presenter. Did he leave before or after Lucy?

Yeah at one time, Drew used to do the Gemporia studio tours, and, I believe, was the one responsible for taking on new presenters.

Lucy went a long time ago (probably around 4 years ago now) - and Drew went last year when he became disgrunted at being moved to the silly o clock hours.

I liked Drew. He didn't shriek like a banshee or come across as forceful - which is probably why his face didn't fit in the end. He was too calm for a channel that became more focused on the hard sell.

Is it NHK Japanese TV channel you watch?
I watch that too sometimes and it's quite interesting with varied item topics about various aspects of Japanese life.

When, I wonder, are Gemporia going to realise the shouty, faux-excitement style of selly-telly is outdated and not appreciated? They seem to recruit and train presenters who are more suited to Children's TV. I do not want Ellis singing at me and playing silly games of Trust. I do not want presenters randomly yelling "sausages" or giving it the "we're all mad here" vibe. Just tell me, calmly, sensibly, without hyperbole or deliberately misleading me about the products and offer them at a reasonable price. Also, answer any questions I have and do not talk to me as if I am a child. Children do not have credit cards. That is all I ask. Their style is out-of-date and they are making themselves redundant. I don't want to spend my money with a non-serious company - and I won't.

When this channel first came to air in a previous incarnation, we used to play guess the final price! This was in the days when they had professional , knowledgeable presenters and sold a very wide variety of gemstone jewellery at competitive prices. I don’t think they spent more than 5 minutes on each piece and n that time a history of the gemstone, gem weight, amount of gold/silver etc was given. And I might just add no jade in sight!

I see Pig Trough is on again now, giving his hourly lecture. He’s been on 15 minutes and haven’t seen what he’s flogging yet. I have the sound turned off though.

Just took a peek.. You'll never guess! Jade... I do wish they would just bore off with the jade.

It’s a carved Spinach Green Jade Buddha necklace. It looks grey to me. But hang on, it is green if you put a torch behind. Do they sell a light that fixes behind it so when you wear it it’s actually green.🤣🤔

Is it NHK Japanese TV channel you watch?
I watch that too sometimes and it's quite interesting with varied item topics about various aspects of Japanese life.
That's the one. And yes, it has a variety of interesting shows: some of the kids show too. I'm far from a child, but sometimes simple explanations are what work for me ;)

Latest posts

Back