New Year Resolutions

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I see there's a 5:2 diet on the other channel tonight so shall be watching with interest to find out what it's about.
I think that they are ahead of QVC at the moment with their offerings and I have ordered the vibration plate in the sales (£90 off the price, can't see QVC match reductions like this).

Strato next year the LED could be encrusted with crystals. If you start collecting the jewellery in clearance now by next Christmas you will have unpicked enough to do a good imitation of Damien Hirst skull at a fraction of the price (or maybe not going on Q prices)

Don't give Strato the idea of putting an LED in the middle of a QVC jewellery crown to make it look like the Koh-i-Noor in our Queen's crown.

Mine is to stop wasting money on over priced beauty items, there are so many cheaper versions that give the same / better results.

I think my orders from Q in 2016 will be few and far between.

Mine is to stop wasting money on over priced beauty items, there are so many cheaper versions that give the same / better results.

I think my orders from Q in 2016 will be few and far between.

I did this over the last few years with Q stuff and it does make you feel good to be in control.....

I see there's a 5:2 diet on the other channel tonight so shall be watching with interest to find out what it's about.
I think that they are ahead of QVC at the moment with their offerings and I have ordered the vibration plate in the sales (£90 off the price, can't see QVC match reductions like this).

Marina, can I just say DO NOT buy the food pack for the 5:2 diet if it is the one from Ideal World. The "food" in it is really, really awful. I'm not that fussy, especially when I'm trying to diet but this stuff is almost inedible. You can buy cookbooks for the 5:2 diet and you'd be far better off making the food yourself - takes more time I know but you will be less likely to waste your money or throw the uneaten food in the bin.

My new year resolutions are to sell every unused thing lying around the house and not to buy more. Clear credit cards and cancel them, which goes for catalogues as well. Every time I think I need to spend money, think 3 times more. Stop worrying about being fat. There.

CC

I didn't buy it but got an idea what it's about. Although I was briefly tempted at some point and read the reviews on IW people raving how tasty the food was! I guess they must be delighting any critical reviews?
I've also noticed that the presenter wasn't committing to the product and rather saying 'I firmly believe that..' and it was clear he hasn't followed it himself.

I didn't buy it but got an idea what it's about. Although I was briefly tempted at some point and read the reviews on IW people raving how tasty the food was! I guess they must be delighting any critical reviews?
I've also noticed that the presenter wasn't committing to the product and rather saying 'I firmly believe that..' and it was clear he hasn't followed it himself.

I used the 5:2 a few years ago (just my own version, common sense) and lost a good lot and intend to go back on in the new year.

There is a thread on the Drop if you haven't already had a look.

I wasn't one of the people that left a review but I've bought it before and yes I enjoyed it and found it was tasty too, you can return it, or what's left of it if you don't like it, that's why for £15 I gave it a go last time, glad I did.

The diet itself does work but I just found the food in the IW pack awful. I guess it's personal taste - the chickpea thing I tried went in the bin. I could have returned it but the box was heavy and I didn't think it worthwhile. Actually, I tried Diet Chef as well and didn't think much of that food either although the soups were fine, so it's probably just me.

CC

Not only have I made a New Year resolution but I've already carried it out.

My resolution was to buy presents for next Xmas much earlier in 2016.

So I've just ordered another LED bulb for OH.

The question is, if I give it to her for her Birthday in March instead of Xmas, will I have broken my resolution?

But if you give one for birthday and a MATCHING one at Christmas you will be doing the famous Q suggestion albeit Mecharlie wants you to do one in the morning, one after lunch and one in the evening.

But heck not everyone is made of money, spread it out, she will appreciate it more!

My 2015 New Year resolution was to lose weight. Same one every year, and usually fail dismally at it. The start of this year was no exception until 21st Feb when my consultant at the hospital properly bollocked me out over my weight. Her question: "So why can't you lose weight?". I had no answer, or any credible one, to that question. So on the 22nd Feb I started a radical diet and have since lost 6.5 stone. I've had a "rest" over December due to a holiday and festive celebrations. My main 2016 New Year resolution is to lose the remaining 3.5 stone. I actually started back on my diet on Boxing Day rather than wait till January 2nd - there's no time like the present.

My other resolutions for 2016 are:

1. Less Facebook - its become too addictive for my liking and I've been spending far too much time on it. I'm going to delete the app from my phone.
2. Buh-bye QVC - the time has come to part company - I've cut down on ordering quite considerably this year. 99% of the time its available cheaper elsewhere and QVC's p&p is beyond a joke.
3. Buy what I actually need and will use - this especially applies to high end cosmetics, clothes, shoes, bags
4. Improve my financial health - hopefully putting 2 and 3 above into practice will result in 4!

Wishing everyone here a Happy New Year!

Flamenco - that is BRILLIANT news! I heartily congratulate you on a stunning weightloss achievement.... and your dedication in resuming the diet on Boxing day is exemplary. It's never easy to lose weight, and the dedication, motivation and discipline you need to apply to keep it up month after month is not easy, I know. I've been trying to keep active, but even so, I know I've eaten (and drunk) far more than I should have over Christmas. As I have guests until 2nd January, I won't be resuming until after that... but then, no excuses. I tried and succeeded in losing 2 stone previously using Lighter Life, but my brain didn't catch up properly with my body, so back on it all went, plus some interest... so this time I'm going much slower, with the 5:2 diet. Interestingly enough, even when I can't see a difference, my friends and colleagues can, so I know I'm heading in the right direction. Hopefully my brain and body will be in step this time, and I manage to maintain the weightloss, even when I reach a plateau it won't go back up.

Like the man who was in hospital when my Mum was admitted. He'd lost a leg a couple of years before due to vascular disease caused by heavy smoking, had kept smoking and was now about to have his remaining leg amputated. And he was still going outside to smoke despite having been told he would probably lose his arms if he continued. I can't get my head round that.

It's extremely sad, but cigarettes contain addictive compounds, most obviously the nicotine... and quitting smoking can be harder than kicking other seemingly more harmful drugs... http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Henningfield_Benowitz.html If you scroll down the page in the link, the rating for nicotine is that it is rated more addictive than heroin.

Most people who quit smoking don't succeed on the first attempt, and some who do, find it's already too late. I therefore have every sympathy with those who try and fail, and every admiration for those who try and succeed.

It's extremely sad, but cigarettes contain addictive compounds, most obviously the nicotine... and quitting smoking can be harder than kicking other seemingly more harmful drugs... http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Henningfield_Benowitz.html If you scroll down the page in the link, the rating for nicotine is that it is rated more addictive than heroin.

Most people who quit smoking don't succeed on the first attempt, and some who do, find it's already too late. I therefore have every sympathy with those who try and fail, and every admiration for those who try and succeed.

Yes, I know first hand how addictive smoking is and how hard it is to stop, so I have sympathy for anyone trying to kick the habit. I was on 20 a day at 15 years old, and 40 a day by the time I was 20. In defence of my own stupidity for starting to smoke in the first place, the proven dangers weren't publicised until after I was well and truly hooked, we didn't know about cancer, COPD etc when I started. I tried many times to stop, even did for 2 years once and then started again. Finally succeeded in 1987, but to this day I get occasional sudden really strong cravings, particularly if I have G & T in my hand. But I know if I had just 1 cigarette today I'd be back on 40 again tomorrow - like being an alcoholic, I know I'll never be a non-smoker, I'll always be a smoker who isn't smoking. But even having experienced how hard it is to stop, I cannot in any way relate to someone who's lost both legs due to smoking who continues to smoke when they've been told they're very likely to lose both arms as well. And nowadays there are all the patches, gums, vaping things to help you stop too, none of which were around in my day.

Last edited:
I imagine it is was even harder years ago when the was no stigma attached to public smoking and no helplines or patches.

I have no idea if e cigs are any help but no matter how much colour and bling then put on the holders every time I see a woman using one I immediately think of old women in Dickens novels sitting by the fire with a clay pipe.

What was really hard when I stopped was that more people smoked than didn't, so you had to rely on nothing but willpower and were continually surrounded by what you were trying to give up. I didn't succeed until I got to the point where I was absolutely desperate to stop, and I'm sure that's the case for everyone who's successful.

Addiction in any form is a terrible thing, I know of people with drink problems which have ruined the whole family.

It's dead easy to say just give up when it isn't something that has its grip on you personally. Very very few people actually want to continue even those who say they don't have a problem and enjoy their "wee vice"

In any decision to give up, the motivation is very personal to the individual. Also, the ways of coping with the cravings is a very personal choice. I gave up successfully at 3rd attempt, and had learned the lesson that you couldn't just pick them up and have the occasional cigarette (well, I couldn't)... I used to avoid situations where I had smoked the most, used nicotine gum for a while, and I still have the same attitude (despite what the medical profession say, I'm not an ex-smoker - I'm still a smoker, but one who makes the daily decision not to smoke today). I've been not smoking today for over 25 years now. My brother smoked and gave up more recently than I did. Our parents were smokers. My mum was a 40 a day smoker, and my dad was a 100 a day smoker. In the end it didn't seem to do my mum any particular harm, but my dad died of lung cancer 7 years after quitting... his father also died of lung cancer... and his brother died of emphysema. So I realised that there is some kind of "tendency" in my dad's family to lung weakness, and what a fool I was to smoke. It worked for me, but it won't necessarily work for another person to motivate them to stop and continue to not smoke. I still find it hard as well as unpleasant to be around smokers, but I won't preach. I also won't buy them duty free cigarettes or run errands to buy cigarettes.

Latest posts

Back