ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

(a). Do you still make them
No! (see below) LOL
(B). Have you ever kept to one
No!
(C). Do you think even if not kept (or even started) they serve any purpose
I guess not!
(D). Anyone want to share theirs for 2016.
Sure - 2016 I have decided to 'accept' the ageing things I dislike about myself (those imperfections QVC promise they can fix..the truth? they can't)
(E). How does Q feature in any if them.
From the aspect that Q constantly over promise, under deliver. Presenters swear to the beauty products yet look, (IMHO) their age, if not older than their age .. certainly not younger or have gained benefit from the product promoted as I have watched them over the years

My new year resolutions never seem to last but one thing I always manage to d, though I am not at all religious, is give up CHOCOLATE during Lent! I also try to not buy from Q and this was pretty successful, though I did give in a couple of times! For the New Year I really am going to try and stop buying from Q. I have enough make up, cosmetics and Kipling to open a shop!!

b) My NYR for 2009 was to stop smoking. On the 31st December 2008, at 11.59 p.m., I stubbed out my last cigarette ......... and I'm still a non-smoker and will never light up again.

I did exactly the same thing. As a 40 a day smoker I stood with a cig in each hand and stubbed them both out at 11:59 on 31st December 1987, and I haven't smoked since. The only NY resolution I ever kept and the best one I ever made.

I may be wrong, but I thought that if you worked with computer screens for more than a certain number of hours a week, your employer had a duty to provide eye tests and any necessary glasses.

They are. When I worked I needed reading glasses but these were no good for the computers.

I did exactly the same thing. As a 40 a day smoker I stood with a cig in each hand and stubbed them both out at 11:59 on 31st December 1987, and I haven't smoked since. The only NY resolution I ever kept and the best one I ever made.

I know someone who was a heavy smoker, got lung cancer, underwent a major op to remove half of lung, tried to give up afterwards, but couldn't and is now smoking as much as ever again.

I may be wrong, but I thought that if you worked with computer screens for more than a certain number of hours a week, your employer had a duty to provide eye tests and any necessary glasses.

The regulations state that if the eye test shows that you need glasses specifically for using a VDU, your employer is obliged to pay for them. If the glasses will be used for VDU work plus other non-work related functions, the employer doesn't have to pay as you need the glasses anyway. I wear varifocal glasses and VDU work is just one thing I use them for. Because I use them for VDU work my employer does what many employers do and contributed £50 towards the cost.

My mum was a 100 a day and had terrible health problems yet every year she gave them up for Lent gave the money saved to charity but the minute Easter Day arrived back on them.

My Dad who was nearly as heavy gave up in 1980 but the damage was done and unfortunately now spends his days on oxygen.

The one upside is that I have always hated smoking and pre no smoking in the workplace I have turned down jobs and left jobs where there were smokers and I hated going into places where there was smoking as it irritated my skin along with all the other more serious side effects.

I have other weakness areas but at least smoking was never one of them. But having seen my mums addiction I do feel for those trying to give up anything.

Glad to see you're still alive Strato. I thought your resolution might be to buy your other half something luxurious and glamorous as a gift next year rather than an LED light bulb!

Because I use them for VDU work my employer does what many employers do and contributed £50 towards the cost.
They only pay the NHS rate and £50 sounds about right and the annual eye test fee for VDU only which is around £20.

ps: a bit off the topic, has anyone used vibration plate for exercising?

It was a great success, she enjoys switching it on and off to enjoy the wonder of instant bright light

Eee, ah, by gum. I can remember when t'Christmas were nobbut an old stocking with a tangerine and a threepenny bit in t'bottom. It always snowed, then, like, but we had fresh cardboard to put in our boots to keep the wet out.

We used to come home from t'mill Christmas eve and Mam would put us to bed with a half a carrot laying int' straw by us beds, to feed Santa's reindeer when they made it to our little one up one down terraced house.

One year it were reet good. We had an LED candle that our Mam had pawned her wedding ring for, and we watched as our Dad switched it on and off for hours, as we couldn't afford the gas to keep it lit all night. Simple pleasures, ay, them were the days.

My mum used to say that when the large bakeries closed down for Christmas the locals took their bird (can't rember what type) down and overnight they were cooked as the big ovens cooled down. This was before my memory so pre mid 50's

Does anyone else know of this?

My mum used to say that when the large bakeries closed down for Christmas the locals took their bird (can't rember what type) down and overnight they were cooked as the big ovens cooled down. This was before my memory so pre mid 50's

Does anyone else know of this?

That is what my Nana used to do with the Christmas goose. The baker attached a metal tally with a number on to identify your bird and in went the whole roads roasts to be cooked overnight. Suspect there was no faffing round with weighing the birds or basting in those days.

Yes i wondered that too, there didn't seem to be anything factored in for sizes or temperature but then I guess it is a bit like a Aga type oven.

Eee, ah, by gum. I can remember when t'Christmas were nobbut an old stocking with a tangerine and a threepenny bit in t'bottom. It always snowed, then, like, but we had fresh cardboard to put in our boots to keep the wet out.

We used to come home from t'mill Christmas eve and Mam would put us to bed with a half a carrot laying int' straw by us beds, to feed Santa's reindeer when they made it to our little one up one down terraced house.

One year it were reet good. We had an LED candle that our Mam had pawned her wedding ring for, and we watched as our Dad switched it on and off for hours, as we couldn't afford the gas to keep it lit all night. Simple pleasures, ay, them were the days.

LOL......but funnily enough ,my early childhood Christmases were pretty much like that. I don't think anything got pawned but we were poor Eastenders and I lived with foster parents my mother having died. The house I lived in had no electricity,only gas.The ighting was by gas mantles.it was one of the last houses in the street to have electricity. There was a proper range cooker ,washing boiled in the copper.Outside loo ,tin bath the works and I'm not that old.

I think I'd rather have the conveniences i have today than back then.

New Year resolution is to pay off my credit card.I don't have a huge amount on it but the interest rates seem very high and I don't want to give any more money to banks.

I have stuck to resolutions in the past ,not all of them admittedly,but I I'm sure I will stick to this one.

Last edited:
Re the LED bulb, the bulb it replaced took about 3 minutes to reach its full brightness, or, should I say, it's full dimness.

My resolution is to put the Christmas Dinner sprouts on to cook at the end of November, to make sure they are properly cooked next year.

strato, I'd put the sprouts on in the middle of November, just to be on the safe side, if I were you. And how are you ever going to top this year's present next year - have you thought about it? After all, when you've given your loved one an LED bulb for Christmas, where can you go from there? :mysmilie_59:
Re the LED bulb, the bulb it replaced took about 3 minutes to reach its full brightness, or, should I say, it's full dimness.

My resolution is to put the Christmas Dinner sprouts on to cook at the end of November, to make sure they are properly cooked next year.

I know someone who was a heavy smoker, got lung cancer, underwent a major op to remove half of lung, tried to give up afterwards, but couldn't and is now smoking as much as ever again.

Like the man who was in hospital when my Mum was admitted. He'd lost a leg a couple of years before due to vascular disease caused by heavy smoking, had kept smoking and was now about to have his remaining leg amputated. And he was still going outside to smoke despite having been told he would probably lose his arms if he continued. I can't get my head round that.

Strato next year the LED could be encrusted with crystals. If you start collecting the jewellery in clearance now by next Christmas you will have unpicked enough to do a good imitation of Damien Hirst skull at a fraction of the price (or maybe not going on Q prices)

Latest posts

Back