Phillip Schofield

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yesterday was the first time I had ever seen him, except for photos of the queue issue and ads for cars. (I'm out of the loop.) Apart from being negatively biased due to the queue hopping, I found his sales pitch with the two others quite good. Gentle, and not at all pushy. However, I didn't like the idea of the spiced gin and the price for the two bottles was exorbitant. The gin advent calendar was over priced imo. Unadulterated gin is what I prefer, not gin that's been mucked around with.

Most celebs are pretty rude. But there are some that are paticularly lovely. Anna Raeburn was my neighbour for many many years. She was a real hoot.

A very pleasant person. Passed by her a couple of times at Camden Lock back in the 1990s. On the first occasion, I said rather too loudly as she passed by: “That’s Anna Raeburn.” She stopped in her tracks, smiled, and said something along the lines of you are very observant. Whereas another type of celeb could have not taken being recognised so well.

There ARE some nice well known people found about. My dad, in Muswell Hill Broadway, got involved with Todd Carty, trying to get control of an off-lead dog, loose in the road. A very decent chap, my dad said afterwards. Through various jobs in the hotels, liners and entertainment industry world and beyond, he met a lot well known people and had many stories to tell about the nice and the nasty ones. His favourite person whom he met when he was working in later life on the HMS Belfast, was John Cleese, who was filming on it. Cleese bought him and several colleagues breakfast, and sat down chatting with them whilst they ate it. Whereas, Nicholas Lyndhurst (there at the same time) was according to my father, a right c….er..unpleasant person to deal with.

Shes a lovely lovely lady. Miss her little chats. Anather fab couple is Greg Wise and his wife Emma Thompson.My youngest and thier daughter are about the same age. Always up for a chat and a laugh!

The one who is number one of being a total bitch is Cilla Black. BA cabin staff could fill hundreds of pages, it seems. I did actually for a time know someone whose cousin went on Blind Date. Got a major shock as she went by seeing Cilla on TV and cheeky lotta lotta fun. No, production staff told contestants, do not look at Miss Black, do not speak to Miss Black between filming. Miss Black will speak to you when on air, and you can answer, otherwise do not speak to her.

Holly, another one who is nice if you go to the studio but not otherwise. I know someone who worked in an Elemis salon in London for a period before coming back to Belfast. She said none of the staff wanted to do Holly's facials as she was so nasty. Yet she kept coming back to the salon for facials, when not dressed by stylists she looked like a bag lady and a heavy smoker. But it was how rude she was to people that really got her.

I will say i have met heather( (Cheryl Ferguson ) from East Enders once and observed her once with other autograph requesters…
Bare with me here lol

A charity event .. signing fit charity .. so I asked for autograph.. she says “what’s your name “
( i wasn’t expecting her to ask so i said my name in a nice surprised tone ) she then turns around and in a sarcastic tone says to other people) “ They expect me to know their names “
I was sooo embarrassed and teed off .. threw it away when I got home .. loved her in the Enders
she loves not far from here and we saw her in crayford Boots chemist which closes 8pm week days … it was nearly closing time and very quiet
I looked over with hubby and said “Heather …” etc
Two young girls I could see had asked politely for her autograph and her reply was very dismissive “no sorry girls I don’t do all that “ 🤦🏻‍♀️
I was a not shocked but felt for the girls .. I wish I had gone up to them and said “ don’t worry it’s just her “ poor kids ..
loveliest I’ve met is Cameron Macintosh the Musical producer at the 25 years les mis celebrations
Oh yeah and the bloke who was in the old comedy Rosie .. ( about policeman) miserable ..
Tom conti we saw from afar and even though I shouted “ohh it’s Tom Courtney! “ he laughed and waved 😆 bless him
Rick wakeman smiles and waved At us at David Bowie concert 🎵 1983 when Rick was parking up bless him
Princess Diana smiled at him hubby just said 😆 bless her .
My friend has met a few as a runner
Will.I.am lovely
Simon cowell lovely
Louis Walsh lovely
Janet street porter ..: well … can you guess 😆
Ralph fiennes lovely and beautiful eyes I met for autograph ❤️
My son met the adorable Rodney bewes from the likely lads comedy … such a lovely man
He bought my lad a drink in the bar after question and answer session about the play he was in ..
My son in his 30s now and was too young to remember him or the show so wasn’t aware of his stardom as a younger man bless him.
Whilst we were on the subject thought i writer all this … love reading others experiences also 😍

My late dad used to walk a neighbour’s Red Setter in woods near Highgate. He used to regularly see Simon Callow and his dog over there at the same time and chat with him. A lovely man he said.

When he was entertainments manager at the Lyceum in the Strand in the early ’70s, when they were hosting the BBC’s Come Dancing (I think), he inadvertently opened a dressing room door and caught ’Diddy’ David Hamilton at very much the wrong moment. Perhaps he was less of the ‘diddy’ at the time! But that’s another story…

Yesterday was the first time I had ever seen him, except for photos of the queue issue and ads for cars. (I'm out of the loop.) Apart from being negatively biased due to the queue hopping, I found his sales pitch with the two others quite good. Gentle, and not at all pushy. However, I didn't like the idea of the spiced gin and the price for the two bottles was exorbitant. The gin advent calendar was over priced imo. Unadulterated gin is what I prefer, not gin that's been mucked around with.
Me too I get the feeling that gin has just gone down the route of alcohol pops for the fat lasses … sorry young ladies with today’s sweeter tooth. My 22yr old son is the same -tho a strapping gym bunny !-….loves the ciders with the crazy sweet fruit flavours.
I’ve turned into a real lightweight now I’m 52. I’ll have a g and t on hols, but realise it’s crazy hotel measures and have to lie down after a couple of sips!!

My oldest son and DIL were on his morning programme several years ago. My son didn`t take to Schofield at all but said Holly was lovely. One of the other guests was Alan Tichmarsh who ignored everybody and acted like a complete arse until he was in front of the camera and then he morphed as if by magic into Mr Congeniality. All an act.
Roland rat used to call him Alan Ditch water 😆

QUEUE VC 😆 hubby just said that

I am devastated by May’s Heather from EE story. She was my favourite character! Killed by murderer Ben, and I hate the reworking of history so that we now have to believe she innocently hurled herself onto that ashtray he was innocently holding. *******!

In another life when I was an estate agent, I made a right prat of myself when this young chap walked up to my desk, and I said .........."oh its Ian Beale ", he grinned and I offered him a seat while I grovelled profusely at how unprofessional I was ! Adam (Woodyatt) was absolutely lovely, as we settled down to 'do' business.

Landing at L.A. airport with friends, I was stood by the carousel waiting for my suitcase. As I saw it I charged forward practically knocking over this very elegant lady with a fur coat draped over her arm. I grabbed her arm and again I apologised then I saw who it was .......... Sophia Loren who was waiting for her chauffeur ! She was fabulous as I explained gibberishly about my suitcase, she must have thought I was an imbecile., but she wished me a good holiday.

Back in the 90's I applied for a job as a Social Secretary to a local author. I was then told it was Barbara Cartland ! I could write a book about the interview. But those who remember her, know that she was always photographed with her little white dog. Well, this little dog laid at my feet while I was being interviewed, and it was hard to keep a straight face when it was snoring from one end and farting from the other !!! 😂 I was offered the job, so I went off and bought a few new clothes (as being the step grandmother of Diana, it was likely I could meet royalty). Long story short, the woman apparently offered the job to all her applicants, so I didn't get to work for her.

My first wife’s mother, applied for a companion job in The Lady magazine in the early 1990s. It turned out to be the companion for Rachel Kempson or Lady Redgrave as she was more formally known then. She lived with her in her mews house off the King’s Road in Chelsea. Loved all her stories about there was a knock at the door, and there was Dirk Bogarde (a really lovely person, apparently) to pop in for coffee and a chat. Or Derek Jacobi or Maggie Smith, or Wendy Hiller…Also ‘popping in‘ were Lynn Redgrave when she was over, Liam and Natasha, Vanessa and Corin. The list was endless. We got invited to the house when the Lady was away in the States, which was fascinating. The place being full of luvvie type things - memories of Sir Michael etc... Unfortunately, for my ex mother in law, dementia began to set in with Rachel K. and in the end she started to become physically aggressive to her at times through the illness, and she had to leave.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one who is number one of being a total bitch is Cilla Black. BA cabin staff could fill hundreds of pages, it seems. I did actually for a time know someone whose cousin went on Blind Date. Got a major shock as she went by seeing Cilla on TV and cheeky lotta lotta fun. No, production staff told contestants, do not look at Miss Black, do not speak to Miss Black between filming. Miss Black will speak to you when on air, and you can answer, otherwise do not speak to her.

Holly, another one who is nice if you go to the studio but not otherwise. I know someone who worked in an Elemis salon in London for a period before coming back to Belfast. She said none of the staff wanted to do Holly's facials as she was so nasty. Yet she kept coming back to the salon for facials, when not dressed by stylists she looked like a bag lady and a heavy smoker. But it was how rude she was to people that really got her.
In my final year at school my friend and I would bunk off at lunchtime to go to the Cavern, we would change out of our uniforms on the bus to Liverpool, and Cilla used to be there at the coat desk and was miserable and snotty even then. She was signed up with the Mersey sound and her life changed, her rise to fame always documented in the Liverpool Echo. Her mum had a stall in the indoor market and was really nice. Some say she could have done more for her mum at the end of her life, but I don't know if that was true. Paul McCartney and his brother Mike always stayed loyal to their roots but others from that Sixties era happily forgot.

In another life when I was an estate agent, I made a right prat of myself when this young chap walked up to my desk, and I said .........."oh its Ian Beale ", he grinned and I offered him a seat while I grovelled profusely at how unprofessional I was ! Adam (Woodyatt) was absolutely lovely, as we settled down to 'do' business.

Landing at L.A. airport with friends, I was stood by the carousel waiting for my suitcase. As I saw it I charged forward practically knocking over this very elegant lady with a fur coat draped over her arm. I grabbed her arm and again I apologised then I saw who it was .......... Sophia Loren who was waiting for her chauffeur ! She was fabulous as I explained gibberishly about my suitcase, she must have thought I was an imbecile., but she wished me a good holiday.

Back in the 90's I applied for a job as a Social Secretary to a local author. I was then told it was Barbara Cartland ! I could write a book about the interview. But those who remember her, know that she was always photographed with her little white dog. Well, this little dog laid at my feet while I was being interviewed, and it was hard to keep a straight face when it was snoring from one end and farting from the other !!! 😂 I was offered the job, so I went off and bought a few new clothes (as being the step grandmother of Diana, it was likely I could meet royalty). Long story short, the woman apparently offered the job to all her applicants, so I didn't get to work for her.
Heard she used to say “ why have you sent that gal (girl) I didn’t want a gal “ ( for interview) lol

In my final year at school my friend and I would bunk off at lunchtime to go to the Cavern, we would change out of our uniforms on the bus to Liverpool, and Cilla used to be there at the coat desk and was miserable and snotty even then. She was signed up with the Mersey sound and her life changed, her rise to fame always documented in the Liverpool Echo. Her mum had a stall in the indoor market and was really nice. Some say she could have done more for her mum at the end of her life, but I don't know if that was true. Paul McCartney and his brother Mike always stayed loyal to their roots but others from that Sixties era happily forgot.
Heard a lot about cilla and BA staff not happy at all .. mind you .. BA I had issues with .. wasn’t rude to them .. just had to use First class area for loo as trolly was in way and I was desperate 😆 .. no you can’t use it … so I said .. “ what am I supposed to do then .. wet myself “ 🤩?

A long passed friend worked at the Beeb in Wardrobe for decades, and Cilla was far from popular with those who worked behind the scenes. 'Diva' was the word often used, but my friend used the word "bitch" - well, he was gay so for him it was an apt word.

Latest posts

Back