Pipa

• Thread starter Deleted member 22840
  • Start date
ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sorry my mistake but why choose such a name and then change it to a baby nickname.

I read her son is taking his driving test, how time flies!
It usually happens when a sibling finds it difficult to pronounce their name; my cousin's always been called Tiffy, my oldest granddaughter's known as Loolah & the boy next door is Jaja. In fact I can't think of many people who keep the name they're given as most seem to be shortened or lengthened.

It usually happens when a sibling finds it difficult to pronounce their name; my cousin's always been called Tiffy, my oldest granddaughter's known as Loolah & the boy next door is Jaja. In fact I can't think of many people who keep the name they're given as most seem to be shortened or lengthened.
I agree, especially with stiff and formal names such as Beatrice, and Ophelia, either the recipient chooses to be called "beattie, or bea or Feely and Beely or it just catches on from a young un's cute pronunciation. It's usually safer to choose a one sylllable name but even then there's a high chance it'll be lengthened. I'm trying to think here and I think the only person I know who's addressed by her birth name is Claire.

If you have any 'L' in a name, that will be hard to pronounce.
No L, but Tanni Grey-Thompson is a good example. Her big sister called her tiny, and it turned into Tanni and it stuck. Her first name is Carys.

I had a tutor who called their child a name they thought could not be shortened but were horrified when someone managed to shorten it.
We had one girl who had a double barrelled first name, shortened to the first letter of each.
Parents can be naive, arrogant or both when it comes to what their kids names will look like when family and friends have got their hands on it!
I have a friend and nobody even uses her first name, only her middle name. The same happened with her siblings. The only time many knew their given name wasn't the first on their birth certificate was at their wedding!
What a waste of a name, imo.

We had one girl who had a double barrelled first name, shortened to the first letter of each.
Parents can be naive, arrogant or both when it comes to what their kids names will look like when family and friends have got their hands on it!
I have a friend and nobody even uses her first name, only her middle name. The same happened with her siblings. The only time many knew their given name wasn't the first on their birth certificate was at their wedding!
What a waste of a name, imo.
Both sides of my family have several people who go by their middle names & in some cases it was their parents who started doing it 🤨 Every name I liked for our second daughter was vetoed by my Mr T & it was only a few days before she was born that we decided to name her after a hurricane, albeit changing the last letter to an A. She's never been called this name by us or anyone else & the diminutive we gave her was unusual then but is now very, very common, I mean popular.

I also dislike initials used as a first name, it sounds as if the actual name isn't good enough to be used.

Liz Earle's daughter is named Amaryllis, but Liz has always called her Lily, when writing articles or referring to her.

Latest posts

Back