Pushing the boot look

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
I'm old enough to remember when disabled boots were worn to rectify foot and leg issues. How they were hated - and were covered with trousers rather than be worn with light dresses in the summer which was not the look that was wanted or looked pretty.

NOW (as seen on this morning's outlet programme) every fashion show barring Ruthless, is pushing the buckled heavy boot worn with everything look. Even the weekend magazine supplement fashion pages are at it. (despite no one under 30 reads a newspaper anymore). Each to their own, and fashion evolves, or rather goes around in circles, but can anyone honestly say that these stomping boots actually look attractive when worn with summer wear ???? Really ? I mean, if you're older, then only someone the age of quirky Helena Bonham Carter can get away with yomping boots, but even she draws the line at pairing them with a cotton frock.

Now that some days are milder I’m finding boots (and socks) are really too warm, especially in work, and yet it’s far too wet for lighter footwear. Earlish spring and autumn I find hard to get footwear just right, not helped by not being a trainer person.

Will someone explain what is in the minds of UK men who insist on being out in freezing cold wet weather in shorts whilst having scarves/beanies and heavy puffa jackets on their top half? My late mother would often describe a look as being “summer laughing at winter”

I'm old enough to remember when disabled boots were worn to rectify foot and leg issues. How they were hated - and were covered with trousers rather than be worn with light dresses in the summer which was not the look that was wanted or looked pretty.

NOW (as seen on this morning's outlet programme) every fashion show barring Ruthless, is pushing the buckled heavy boot worn with everything look. Even the weekend magazine supplement fashion pages are at it. (despite no one under 30 reads a newspaper anymore). Each to their own, and fashion evolves, or rather goes around in circles, but can anyone honestly say that these stomping boots actually look attractive when worn with summer wear ???? Really ? I mean, if you're older, then only someone the age of quirky Helena Bonham Carter can get away with yomping boots, but even she draws the line at pairing them with a cotton frock.
Yes I remember and yes it is a look I hate.Not for me naturally but these boots and to some extent the Trainers worn with dresses are simply not visually attractive.They would put that opinion down to me being an old fuddy duddy not that they the fashionistas look a total mess.

Now that some days are milder I’m finding boots (and socks) are really too warm, especially in work, and yet it’s far too wet for lighter footwear. Earlish spring and autumn I find hard to get footwear just right, not helped by not being a trainer person.

Will someone explain what is in the minds of UK men who insist on being out in freezing cold wet weather in shorts whilst having scarves/beanies and heavy puffa jackets on their top half? My late mother would often describe a look as being “summer laughing at winter”
These are my favourite spring shoes, one pair once lasted three years & never needed heeling because I only wore them for the spring term.

Yep - that's my kinda shoe too Twilight.

I saw Katy Pullinger the other day wearing her 'fuddy duddy' get up - ankle boots and a skirt just below her knee, with what I would call a 'dated' blouse. Then Chuntly was on yesterday with yomper boots and a Marla Wynn frock - again at knee length. If this is what is deemed as 'fashionable' then I don't want to look older than I am.

One of my closest mates was very much into that look back in the 90's...she's in her 40's now and is still a rather quirky dresser, but she has "lost the boots". She was 19 when I first met her doing a part time A level course at the local college. She's very tall at 5'11" and has size 8 1/2 -9 feet and being a typical poor student at the time couldn't find boots or shoes to fit her that didn't cost a bomb, hence buying her boots from the army surplus store and customising them with funky laces...and yep she'd wear them with everything including summer dresses..and she did get away with the look...young, tall and hispanic looking. Now she's in her 40's and has a good job, her fashion sense is has toned down considerably. Despite my friend having a good excuse, it was quite common a sight in the 90's..but youth was the key. I know fashions come and go..but this one doesn't travel well as a ubiquitous look...fine for a summer festival though!

These are my favourite spring shoes, one pair once lasted three years & never needed heeling because I only wore them for the spring term.

I had some Gabour ones like this with a fabric bow. They were my "in the office" shoe. I had, a 15-20 minute walk from the railway station to the office for which I wore a strong shoe and then changed to these. I loved them, they were so comfortable. I had 15+ pairs of Gabour at one time. They lasted so well and were so so very comfortable. Mine were £99.95 as they were my first £100 shoes.

I went off Gabour for a whole, wore mine all out. The chief designer must have changed as I didn't see a pair I fancied oh must have been five years. They shop I used closed down, life moved on and never bought another pair.

I feel sad now yo remember how life was like then compared to know. But very happy you've shown me a blast from the part. I need to go looking for some lovely shoes. Thank you. But not right now cooking a gammon and that has priority 1 and 2. Basting it every 10 minutes with a maple syrup based sauce. Nice if you like it and I do.

Yep - that's my kinda shoe too Twilight.

I saw Katy Pullinger the other day wearing her 'fuddy duddy' get up - ankle boots and a skirt just below her knee, with what I would call a 'dated' blouse. Then Chuntly was on yesterday with yomper boots and a Marla Wynn frock - again at knee length. If this is what is deemed as 'fashionable' then I don't want to look older than I am.
A lot of the dresses which appear on Q at the moment look really frumpy to me. A combination of the colours, prints and length.
Q really do demonstrate the importance of not slavishly following trends, but to understand what makes you look and feel your best.
So many of the presenters and guests look a proper sight these days... although we used to point out that they hadn't a clue when Goody, Tanya et al used to parade up and down in high heels with leggings, trousers and jeans... so there's no pleasing us 😋

Did anybody see the Conker shoes based in Totnes interview in last week`s Julia Bradbury walks programme ? They hand make shoes and boots and you can send them back for repairs or new soles etc and it showed a pair from the 1980`s which were being resoled. You can choose from lots of colours and you draw an outline of your feet and measure the width, send in your measurements and they make them to fit. I must admit they certainly aren`t cheap but I bet they last years and I liked some of their boots which I would wear with trousers or jeans but not with dresses.

Did anybody see the Conker shoes based in Totnes interview in last week`s Julia Bradbury walks programme ? They hand make shoes and boots and you can send them back for repairs or new soles etc and it showed a pair from the 1980`s which were being resoled. You can choose from lots of colours and you draw an outline of your feet and measure the width, send in your measurements and they make them to fit. I must admit they certainly aren`t cheap but I bet they last years and I liked some of their boots which I would wear with trousers or jeans but not with dresses.
I get mine from Lidl!

Also most other clothes from Aldi or Lidl, ot Tesco if I'm splashing out.

That way, I save lots of money to buy gadgets.

False feet 153167260_139640.jpg
How about these sandals if your feet are not perfect?

I posted a while ago about Birkenstock’s being made from Hermes handbags.which were going to be on sale for megabucks. Well I saw a photo of the finished article and apart from being a bit ugly they were beyond boring. Good job Q no longer sell them or we would be looking out to see who was getting them as a freebie!

My daughter has those lasted her years, I like Gabor as being a uk 8 and being 5'8 I always like German brands as they suit my feet better

I have these very shoes along with a few other pairs of Gabor, I love them and they are so well made

I posted a while ago about Birkenstock’s being made from Hermes handbags.which were going to be on sale for megabucks. Well I saw a photo of the finished article and apart from being a bit ugly they were beyond boring. Good job Q no longer sell them or we would be looking out to see who was getting them as a freebie!
There was an article in the newspaper about Birkenstocks at the weekend. Sales are through the roof and people in lockdown are enjoying wearing them just nipping to the supermarket and heels are out.

As for the heavy biker boots with floating dresses that started way back in the 90s. I remember it in US shows, and then it came to the UK.

I had a pair of these!!!

Latest posts

Back