Qurio - a socially interesting documentary!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thank you Ballerina, your story could be so many of us in the early days of QVC. Easy pay, oh that is only £10 a month then more easy pay and more. Until you are paying big money each month. I got rid of my credit cards back in 2007 as it was just too easy to buy and just pay the minimum each month. Debit card only for me, if not enough in the bank then I have to wait to buy it.

I have online banking but also keep a note pad with how much is in my account and each time I use my card write down where spend and how much.

Thank you both for your lovely replies. I was raised by sensible parents, who saved to buy what they needed only and no H.P. Like I say, I don't know to this day what my trigger was but it snowballed so fast. QVCwill not stop offering excessive amounts of easy pays because they shift loads more stock by offering them.

I am lucky and having been burned, learned my lesson and moved on. If I had been unable to work and pay my way out of that hole, my story would have been somewhat different. Now that I have no need of a credit card ( I have 2 nad they sit in the safe!), everybody wants to give me a card. Likewise, after we paid the mortgage off, we keep being bombarded with offers of loans in the region of £50,000, bliddy unbelievable IMO. We are mid fifties now and would be in debt until our 70's No way, we both want to retire at 60 (6 years for me). It feels so good to bin the credit card offers now, whereas before I would have applied immediately. It was robbing Peter to pay Paul. Now, we have a decent nest egg and can look forward to a reasonably cushy life, health willing of course, no guarantees in life. x

Ballerina I wasn’t quite as far in as you and by the time Q came along I could afford the stuff I bought, however if Q had been available to me 10 years earlier I could have come unstuck.

even today when its cold outside and I’m stuck in bored to tears and a bit down my fingers are itching surfing on line to see something “nice”, yet when asked for an idea for a Christmas pressie I couldn’t think of a single thing I was even remotely interested in.

Hey Ballerina 16 years ago I could have been in exactly the same position. My husband died after an horrendous heart breaking battle with cancer, I nursed him at home as well as working long hours until just a few weeks before he died when I took unpaid leave until the inevitable happened.
I didn`t eat, sleep or go anywhere except to work and his hospital appointments and I was also trying to be strong for our 3 sons. My sister looked after my husband whilst I was at work and then I took over, frequently after an already long 12 hour shift at work.
After he died I was exhausted, depressed, lonely and grieving for the man I`d been married to for 32 years. I didn`t have a social life and when not working, the TV was my only company. My youngest son had gone off to College and made new friends he spent a lot of time with, much deserved because he had a miserable final year at school and watching his Dad die inch by inch. My oldest son was in the Army and was away in Afghanistan and my middle son also worked long shifts as a Police Officer. Apart from my sister who lived next door to me, I saw nobody.
I started shopping more and more online as well as from shops and by telephone. Stuff I didn`t need and the buying from shops gave me an excuse to talk to other people even if only for a short while. I got no comfort from anything I bought but luckily I didn`t end up in debt or with lots of credit or easy pays.
What brought me to my senses was the birth of my first grandchild, a girl and the one thing my late husband would have been jumping for joy about. Even though my grandchild would be many miles away at the other end of the Country and I would only be able to see her now and again she became something to focus on.
I came to my senses just in time and hated myself for spending as I had done. Money basically down the drain but it was a lesson well learned and like yourself I have never gone back there.

Thankyou Ballerinna for sharing your experience it takes a lot to become aware that something is far from right.Then to work on getting back where you want to be.It takes an immeasurable strength to do so but the feeling that you do not owe anyone anything is good! To come from the position where you were to now is a credit to your self awareness.There is nothing wrong with the occasional spree in shopping but it is under control, maybe a bit OTT but never not affordable! It is not wrong to seek ways of surviving times of difficulty and grief but the light dawns and see it as that is what it is, then time to move on, it does come but take any help that is out there.

Last edited:
Thank you Ballerina, your story could be so many of us in the early days of QVC. Easy pay, oh that is only £10 a month then more easy pay and more. Until you are paying big money each month. I got rid of my credit cards back in 2007 as it was just too easy to buy and just pay the minimum each month. Debit card only for me, if not enough in the bank then I have to wait to buy it.

I have online banking but also keep a note pad with how much is in my account and each time I use my card write down where spend and how much.
I do that too. I also round up the pennies to the next pound for outgoing & incoming amounts. At the end of the year I look at the difference between the two figures, it's always more, & put this into my savings.

Hey Ballerina 16 years ago I could have been in exactly the same position. My husband died after an horrendous heart breaking battle with cancer, I nursed him at home as well as working long hours until just a few weeks before he died when I took unpaid leave until the inevitable happened.
I didn`t eat, sleep or go anywhere except to work and his hospital appointments and I was also trying to be strong for our 3 sons. My sister looked after my husband whilst I was at work and then I took over, frequently after an already long 12 hour shift at work.
After he died I was exhausted, depressed, lonely and grieving for the man I`d been married to for 32 years. I didn`t have a social life and when not working, the TV was my only company. My youngest son had gone off to College and made new friends he spent a lot of time with, much deserved because he had a miserable final year at school and watching his Dad die inch by inch. My oldest son was in the Army and was away in Afghanistan and my middle son also worked long shifts as a Police Officer. Apart from my sister who lived next door to me, I saw nobody.
I started shopping more and more online as well as from shops and by telephone. Stuff I didn`t need and the buying from shops gave me an excuse to talk to other people even if only for a short while. I got no comfort from anything I bought but luckily I didn`t end up in debt or with lots of credit or easy pays.
What brought me to my senses was the birth of my first grandchild, a girl and the one thing my late husband would have been jumping for joy about. Even though my grandchild would be many miles away at the other end of the Country and I would only be able to see her now and again she became something to focus on.
I came to my senses just in time and hated myself for spending as I had done. Money basically down the drain but it was a lesson well learned and like yourself I have never gone back there.
That was profound Vienna, bless you.

I think my habit stemmed from childhood, coming from a family who really had to watch their pennies, and on top of that a family who strongly believed that if you can't afford to pay for it outright, then you can't have it. A lot of my clothes were hand me downs, and from good old jumble sales interspersed with the occasional shopping trip for essential clothing, which had to be hard wearing, usually a little bit too big, and definitely not fashionable. Presents were strictly reserved for birthdays and Christmastime. I know some of this was due to my father being a tight fisted beggar which didn't help my cause very much. When I became financially independent, I bought fashionable clothes for myself, music albums, make up etc and swore that my kids when I had them would never want for anything and have what all the other kids had. I stuck to my promise, even though it meant using catalogues and credit cards - Thankfully I never became financially unstuck, but it was a struggle. Like I said before when it was just me at home with my little part time job, I discovered the shopping channels and spent a small fortune, and would live for the next parcel arriving on the doorstep. Thankfully I managed to get myself a decent paid full time job, so I was able to buy even more. I can't actually pinpoint the exact moment when I decided enough is enough - probably during one of my many decluttering exercises, then seeing my Q statement and all the crap I'd bought over the years! Nowadays, I only buy things I need, and replace stuff when it's run out. I'm glad that I have an inexpensive beauty regime and have found some wonderful budget brands that I stick to. I think I enjoy talking about shopping rather than the actual act ,which can't be a bad thing!

I think my habit stemmed from childhood, coming from a family who really had to watch their pennies, and on top of that a family who strongly believed that if you can't afford to pay for it outright, then you can't have it. A lot of my clothes were hand me downs, and from good old jumble sales interspersed with the occasional shopping trip for essential clothing, which had to be hard wearing, usually a little bit too big, and definitely not fashionable. Presents were strictly reserved for birthdays and Christmastime. I know some of this was due to my father being a tight fisted beggar which didn't help my cause very much. When I became financially independent, I bought fashionable clothes for myself, music albums, make up etc and swore that my kids when I had them would never want for anything and have what all the other kids had. I stuck to my promise, even though it meant using catalogues and credit cards - Thankfully I never became financially unstuck, but it was a struggle. Like I said before when it was just me at home with my little part time job, I discovered the shopping channels and spent a small fortune, and would live for the next parcel arriving on the doorstep. Thankfully I managed to get myself a decent paid full time job, so I was able to buy even more. I can't actually pinpoint the exact moment when I decided enough is enough - probably during one of my many decluttering exercises, then seeing my Q statement and all the crap I'd bought over the years! Nowadays, I only buy things I need, and replace stuff when it's run out. I'm glad that I have an inexpensive beauty regime and have found some wonderful budget brands that I stick to. I think I enjoy talking about shopping rather than the actual act ,which can't be a bad thing!
Back in the day I heard Pipa say that receiving a purple parcel made life better, it was a statement that she used on a regular basis. Obviously businesses need to make a profit but the Q doesn't have a moral compass.

It’s a bit of time bomb this app,when it tips someone over the edge to do something stupid to themselves,because it surely will in the future.
Who is to blame QVC or the person themselves,I just wish Offcom or Trading Standards would have a good look,or any other authority to ask Q some awkward questions.

It’s a bit of time bomb this app,when it tips someone over the edge to do something stupid to themselves,because it surely will in the future.
Who is to blame QVC or the person themselves,I just wish Offcom or Trading Standards would have a good look,or any other authority to ask Q some awkward questions.
Yes, you are correct.

I am certain many people have harmed or killed themselves because they are drowning in debt. I feel that the individual is at fault, I was but they are encouraged to overspend aggressively. I tell you what, the debt snowballs really fast. We worked out that I was paying £60 in interest alone, every day! Now, as I have said, I had a job and was able to increase my hours from part-time to full-time but in reality, I had to work a lot of overtime as well. What if I hadn't had a career, or my husband? It must be soul destroying for those who are out of a job, since running up the debt, some will not see a way out. The endless phonecalls and letters, chasing money that just can't be paid, it's a nightmare.

I know we can't blame QVC for the nation's irresponsible, dangerous spending habits, as there are many retailers that these people use to part with their money, you 've only got to watch some of these tv shows where families are trying to curb their spending and live life for less. Having said that, Q is the only one I can think of offhand that actively encourage this kind of behaviour - The EZ pays, the daft mbg guarantees which they benefit from via the extortionate postage rates and the fact that they try and get away with selling off returns as new, and most obviously - the app. I agree - I would like to see Q answer some awkward questions, failing that see them featured in bad light somewhere in the media!

It takes someone who has been there in debt to worn others and the dangers of going there £60 in interest on a daily basis! Ballerina to get out of that you have to be congratulated & have a real need to warn others. Even if I have a spending spree and I am using small amounts and the money is in the bank to cover it so it is not a problem.The way some of these people spend there is no way they can cover it on a month to month basis.There are regulars on there at £40 here £60 there etc.they just shrug it off smiling talking about their recent buy!There is a woman gushing about a ‘Happy bear’ by far from an essential purchase and she seems to feature quite frequently on Qurio,whoever is meeting the cost must have deep pockets or other problems, who knows?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back