Respect...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

When I worked in Old Age Psychiatry, I would always refer to our out-patients as Mr or Mrs, instead of their first names, and more than once I was thanked for it. Using formal addresses is a sign of respect and 'importance' rather than the 'matey' first name. Of course some may prefer that, but in the main the more mature patients preferred the formality.

I confess to being a bit high handed when I get cold calls on the phone and they start off "Hello L..... how are you today ? " and that's where I stop them in their tracks and ask if they know me. So if they know my Christian name then they know my surname.
Absolutely! Another thing that I dislike (I have been watching a lot of emergency service type programmes) and older patients are addressed as ‘my darling / my lovely/ my sweet’ etc. I’m sure it is well meant, but somewhat jarrs with me. Many years ago when my mum was terminally ill, most of the medical staff addressed her as Margaret. Now although that was her name, she had been called Peggy from birth, and half the time had no idea who they were talking to! I think she would have preferred to be addressed as Mrs. P.......

I've just clicked on QVC for the first time in ages and I notice the price and 'new' labels are in black. Is this a mark of respect or has it been that way for a while now? The presenter is also head-to-toe in black (as is everyone on live TV) but the guest doesn't seem to have got the memo.

Absolutely! Another thing that I dislike (I have been watching a lot of emergency service type programmes) and older patients are addressed as ‘my darling / my lovely/ my sweet’ etc. I’m sure it is well meant, but somewhat jarrs with me. Many years ago when my mum was terminally ill, most of the medical staff addressed her as Margaret. Now although that was her name, she had been called Peggy from birth, and half the time had no idea who they were talking to! I think she would have preferred to be addressed as Mrs. P.......
I was in hospital about 5 years ago with pneumonia. There was a whiteboard on the wall next to the bed where you could specify how you wanted to be addressed. This was good because there was always different staff dealing with you. Personally I'm not too bothered being addressed by my first name, but my hospital consultant always refers to me as Mrs C----- even though he's been treating me for years. He had a friendly manner, not formal, but I think its respect for a patient which is nice.

So sad to see The Queen being taken back to Buckingham Palace for the last time.
Especially as she was rumoured to dislike the place!
Weird to see her do my normal commute home on her way to central London.

A wonderful tribute from Princess Anne. Both her conduct accompanying her mother, but also the vigil yesterday and the statement she released.
I hope Princess Anne continues her service and closeness with King Charles suggestsvshe will. Like her mother, she is a phenomenal woman.

My sister and I will go to her funeral just as we did for Lady Diane. That was a day I will never forget. Tens of thousands of us all milling about in London but I tell you something you could hear a pin drop. We sat in Hyde Park and there was a giant screen. It was in I think Westminister Abbey where the service of Diana was. The BBC spoke to me and my sister and asked us what made us want to come. Just said she touched our hearts.

I’m going on Thurs, Sun and one day next week as a volunteer, helping with the floral tributes in Green Park. My tribute to the Queen (sounds pompous but you know what I mean).

Bad back means I can’t stand in line for the lying in state and I want to watch the funeral at home.

The difference between the Queen’s funeral and Diana’s will be the phones in everyone’s hand taking photos. So disrespectful, in my humble opinion. Why everyone needs to record it on their phone is a mystery to me. Is being there not enough? I’m sure Boffy remembers vividly every detail of the day she went to Diana’s Funeral. It would be so meaningful if the phones were put down and heads were bowed as the coffin and the family pass.

The difference between the Queen’s funeral and Diana’s will be the phones in everyone’s hand taking photos. So disrespectful, in my humble opinion. Why everyone needs to record it on their phone is a mystery to me. Is being there not enough? I’m sure Boffy remembers vividly every detail of the day she went to Diana’s Funeral. It would be so meaningful if the phones were put down and heads were bowed as the coffin and the family pass.
The irony is unfathomable. They're purporting to be there to pay their respect and yet there's nothing more disrespectful than taking photographs when they should be bowing their heads as the cortege passes by. Photographing the coffin is bad enough but it will be truly abhorrent if they take photos of members of the RF. It was bad enough when they did the walk abouts outside Balmoral and Buckingham Palace and people in the crowd were reaching out with their phones to take pictures as others offered their condelences. Professional footage of the event will be preserved in the annals of history, long after even those born on the day have left the planet.

I`m old school and hate how mobile phones creep into everything. I was getting annoyed when Charles and Camilla were doing their mini walkabouts and all you could see were mobile phones practically shoved in their faces. I just don`t get it and it seems just downright rude to me.
Don`t get me started on seeing people eating with their phone at their elbow and constantly checking it inbetween mouthfulls or between courses. Or the pings or other noises the phones make all the time. Mr V follows certain sports on his phone and the damned thing is always making a noise when a goal or a try or whatever score happens but he`d never dream of having that app switched on if we were in a restaurant or visiting someone or at a social event.
The only time I`ve ever kept my phone besides me 24/7 was when my sister was in the hospice and they said they`d ring if her condition deteriorated to being very near to her passing day or nightime.

I`m old school and hate how mobile phones creep into everything. I was getting annoyed when Charles and Camilla were doing their mini walkabouts and all you could see were mobile phones practically shoved in their faces. I just don`t get it and it seems just downright rude to me.
Don`t get me started on seeing people eating with their phone at their elbow and constantly checking it inbetween mouthfulls or between courses. Or the pings or other noises the phones make all the time. Mr V follows certain sports on his phone and the damned thing is always making a noise when a goal or a try or whatever score happens but he`d never dream of having that app switched on if we were in a restaurant or visiting someone or at a social event.
The only time I`ve ever kept my phone besides me 24/7 was when my sister was in the hospice and they said they`d ring if her condition deteriorated to being very near to her passing day or nightime.
Maybe you are old school, but you are also compassionate.

A comment was made by one of the presenters yesterday, that the Queen made mention that she used to see a sea of face on her walkabouts but now all she sees are mobile phones. How sad. Even a lot of the commentators were of the opinion that it was distasteful and it was far better to be in the moment rather than trying to get the best picture. Everyone keeps saying its a 'different world' and yes it is, but its very telling that older generations had more respect and manners - and dress in an appropriate manner than current generations who just want to post on 'Insta' or Twitter. I only hope that most of them got blurred shots, or the back of people's heads. Serves them ****** right.

I think at Diana's funeral a lot of the crowd standing at the back were using a periscope type gadget. I might be wrong, but I just remember that image.

I agree that using a mobile phone during a solemn procession isn’t respectful, in my opinion anyway, especially when there will be far better photographs online and in the papers.

I did, however, think it was quite touching when people held up their phones yesterday evening as the Queen approached Buckingham Palace …… not taking photos, but leading her way home.

Latest posts

Back