Seasalt Fashion TSV 05/06/24

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

One of the best things to happen to British fashions recently I think is the Great British Sewing Bee, if for no other reason than they got my daughter and maybe others, into making her own clothes. She's found a style she likes and suits her and she adapts that to all sorts of well made garments, and takes pride in wearing them. I think when they show you the various steps in cutting and piecing together garments, it helped take some of the fear out of it for her and now it's her number one major hobby. I love that programme, by the way!

One of the best things to happen to British fashions recently I think is the Great British Sewing Bee, if for no other reason than they got my daughter and maybe others, into making her own clothes. She's found a style she likes and suits her and she adapts that to all sorts of well made garments, and takes pride in wearing them. I think when they show you the various steps in cutting and piecing together garments, it helped take some of the fear out of it for her and now it's her number one major hobby. I love that programme, by the way!
Yes I agree it`s a lovely programme. I am totally useless at anything to do with sewing, crochet or knitting and I didn`t inherit my Mum`s skills but my late sister did. Mum was a solid sewer but not inventive or artistic, plain and practical but solidly made were her fortes. She wasn`t big into trimmings of any sort and everything was made with "growing room" so always a tad on the big side.
My sister was the opposite and loved making fancy dresses for her little girl and soft furnishings for her house but had to give up sewing and knitting when she became ill with a neurological disease in her late 40`s.
Even though I don`t sew I love the Sewing Bee and I`m in awe of the many things they make in such a short time. Some of them have a real skill !

Very few companies manufacture everything in Britain because it is far too expensive. On the other hand, it is providing much-needed work for poorer communities abroad. Seasalt claim they have ethical standards for their workers.
I think you’ll find that the there are few regulations regarding poor workers in China and the like. They are poorly paid slaves working in factories with little in the way of facilities for the workers and slave away for pennies. What angers me is they don’t receive any of the profits the designers make from the exorbitant prices charged on QVC.

I love The Great British Sewing Bee and I wish there were more programmes like it encouraging people to make clothes for themselves and other things. I did enjoy reading your post. Very inspiring!

I think you’ll find that the there are few regulations regarding poor workers in China and the like. They are poorly paid slaves working in factories with little in the way of facilities for the workers and slave away for pennies. What angers me is they don’t receive any of the profits the designers make from the exorbitant prices charged on QVC.

I love The Great British Sewing Bee and I wish there were more programmes like it encouraging people to make clothes for themselves and other things. I did enjoy reading your post. Very inspiring!
I can't sew for toffee,knit or crochet. My nan used to knit cardis and jumpers for us and when crochet dresses were the thing she crocheted a lovely pink one for me.

I can sew but the difference between what I make or made and what my daughter makes is mine are mostly okay, but hers are always spot on with seams and patterns that match perfectly (please note, QVC. If you charge exorbitant prices some of us will look at those things) .

Latest posts

Back