Simon in the Miele show.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
The presenters, in their desperation to fulfil the sales quota, are giving us false information on an increasingly regular basis. We had it with the samsung tv, and now the Miele washing machine. Simon has just said that 5kg is the norm, and this one is 7kg! For reasons of clarity, there is absolutely no way anone would consider a 5kg machine, as being the average; it is small. I would say 6kg is average, 7kg is okay, 8kg is larger than average, etc. We are in the market for a new machine. There are only the two of us, and our two boxers. We will not consider anything less than 8kg, and certainly wouldn't even contemplate buying one which only had a 5kg drum. This is something of a bugbear with me; lying to the viewer shows utter disrespect, casting aspersions on our intelligence. Fortunately, I know what to look for but an elderly person, who may not want the hassle of looking round shops, comparing machines, may believe what is being spouted, and buy the machine from the Q, to avoid this. This just goes to reinforce the fact, that the presenters are, essentially, sales people. I do not trust a word either the presenters, or the guests say. I always research the items before buying. As is the case when you go into Currys, or any other high street store, the sales staff will tell you anything to generate a sale - apart from knock you any money off!

I always research products as much as possible look at consumer reviews etc sales people will always tell you anything to get a sale.

I agree with all that's been said. I too do my own research when buying a large or expensive item. In fact these days I find myself reading up about most things I buy.

Slightly OT but I can't be doing with Simon. His faux amazement and enthusiasm about the product and price, it reminds me of Smashie and Nicey parodying radio presenters.

Yes there will always be salesmen (&women) who'll say anything to get a sale, but there are laws against it! Trade Descriptions Act. quote: Protects consumers from manufacturer and retailer who may mislead them thereby spending their money in the wrong way: It's up to us to complain more. Although, after finding out about Dennis Basso & Liz Earle I'm just as bothered about what they DON'T SAY!!

As mentioned above, It's very important to do as much research as possible before buying such expensive items. But not everyone has the ability to do so. Retailers are in business to make a profit but I agree the tactics they use should be fair and non pressured. I do often think that some vulnerable people will fall for the seemingly friendly smiling faces of some presenters as well as the cynical hard sell approach and it does make me angry. I just have to take a look at my jewellery box to see how easy it is to buy unnecessary things at least the things I buy aren't too expensive, not like a £2000+ fridge freezer that can be bought cheaper following a cursory Internet search.

anather miele tactic is saying that thier items last 20 years. they are not guaranteed for two decades and they cost on average twice the price of other german made brands..sometimes more. 5kg is very small for a up to date washer.

Oh dear Debs Flint on now talking about washing fresh roses in the Miele washing machine ... FFS this foolery has to stop.

Just caught the Miele show now and the guest presenter said that having the red Miele van pull up outside your house could impress the neighbours, never mind the fact that it cost £50 delivery. :mysmilie_854:

As poor simple man can anyone tell me will a w/m the thick end of a grand wash cloths cleaner than a m/c that costs £300

Just caught the Miele show now and the guest presenter said that having the red Miele van pull up outside your house could impress the neighbours, never mind the fact that it cost £50 delivery. :mysmilie_854:

Impressing the neighbours is well worth the £50 delivery, installation and recycling charge - not too bad - I mean, just think any light fingered folks would think you had money, if you were buying an expensive washing machine, and would wonder what else you had worth robbing! I am not oncerned in the slightest with what my neighbours think of me.
Miele does have a good reputation within the industry for manufacturing machines with longevity. They would be mad to give a 20 year warranty, so claims of the machines having such a lifespan mean nothing. We were shown today, one of the more 'affordable' Miele products, and wasn't it evident? It is not as aesthetically appealing as, for example, the samsung at £389, shown yesterday. The advanced technical features are absent. It seems to me that Miele are targeting those who regard them as a designer brand, usually purchased by moneyed people, and unaffordable to them. Not any more - we have cheaper models, too. Not as efficient at doing the job but, hey, it's a Miele. I am about to order a new machine, probably either a LG, or a samsung top end model. It is fully featured, more than suits my needs, and still costs less than a Miele.

I've got a BOSCH washing machine. It does 7KG. I wash everything in it. My plimsolls, my double duvet inner, everything. It has been solid and reliable for the last few years. I tend to only do one load a week and shove everything in.

i have an aeg electrolux washer not that appealing aesthetically as i have everything stainless steel. but i wont replace it until it dies. its been going 8 years and i have not had to even clean the filter. the best washer i have ever had. even better than my bosch. would never buy a miele. thier customer services is appalling

I have had the grand sum of 3 washing machines in 40 years which I think is very good going as I have been through many multiples of cars etc in that time.

I had one of the very first Zanussi on the UK market - it was built like a tank and when it spinned it was like a jumbo jet taxing across the floor.

After a zillion years it was replaced by another Zanussi which lasted for quite a while but in the middle of a very hetic period in my life it jammed with all the washing in it so I decided against repairs and bought a AEG as it was the only available one which could be delivered within a week and it has been going strong for the past 12 years.

However dishwashers are a different kettle of fish and paying for repairs just for the darn thing to breakdown within a very short time has told me that it is often better value to replace rather than repair - especially if you dont need an all singing and all dancing special looking machine and as all my white goods are in a utility room I dont have to pay extra for a special finish.

Just thinking, in the 40 years I have only had 2 freezers - the first was a chest one which lasted for about 20 years and then an upright one (cant remember the brand - one of the lessor cheapie brands) which is chuntering away for 20 years as well. And 3 tumble dryers, none of them top of the range and the last one (very very basic Hotpoint) was bought at the same time as the AGE washing machine.

Not bad when I think about it

Latest posts

Back