Storage bags question

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I'm talking about those plastic bags that you can store duvets, pillows, clothing etc and you suck all the air out with a vaccum cleaner and everything is flat as a pancake. I've tried a couple of brands in the past but I find that the seals are really fiddly. Why can't they just have a sturdy zipper?The ones I've had in the past one has to try and snap together ridges of plastic and pull along a special tag to seal it and then find it's come un popped before you've even got to the part where you remove all the air..and when you do they don't stay flat for long 'cause invariably the seal fails. Does anyone know of any more fail safe bags, 'cause they're a great idea, but I don't want to waste any more money on what essentially are giant sandwich bags - Like I say one with a zip that actually works would be great! I've seen some that you have to manually roll and press to get the air out, but that sounds like too much hard work for me. So yes, if anyone has come across a reliable set that uses a vac please let me know! TIA

I'm talking about those plastic bags that you can store duvets, pillows, clothing etc and you suck all the air out with a vaccum cleaner and everything is flat as a pancake. I've tried a couple of brands in the past but I find that the seals are really fiddly. Why can't they just have a sturdy zipper?The ones I've had in the past one has to try and snap together ridges of plastic and pull along a special tag to seal it and then find it's come un popped before you've even got to the part where you remove all the air..and when you do they don't stay flat for long 'cause invariably the seal fails. Does anyone know of any more fail safe bags, 'cause they're a great idea, but I don't want to waste any more money on what essentially are giant sandwich bags - Like I say one with a zip that actually works would be great! I've seen some that you have to manually roll and press to get the air out, but that sounds like too much hard work for me. So yes, if anyone has come across a reliable set that uses a vac please let me know! TIA
They are a good idea, but I too have found that, perfect though they are, over time they 'blow up' with no assistance. I can't think of any that could do the same thing, other than the roll it yourself ones, as you mentioned. Maybe ask a shopping channel (or whatever) if they can 'invent' or find one?

Some shopping TV presentations say you can get 4 times as much into your suitcase when you go on holiday.

Of course, they don't mention that you will only be able to get 1/4 of it back in when you return, unless you take your vacuum cleaner with you!

Last edited:
Some shopping TV presentations say you can get 4 times as much into your suitcase when you go on holiday.

Of course, they don't mention that you will only be able to get 1/4 of it back in when you return, unless you take your vacuum cleaner with you!
I don't use the vac I just roll up and squish the air out. The best ones I've got are from Lidl but not seen any since before COVID.

I've never used a vac I always roll up find it much easier to do.

If you use the vac type bags with a vac, the bags become completely rigid.
I don't mind rigid....oooh er missus! Just as long as they are flat and easy to store. I just cannot believe the crappy fastenings. It's difficult enough to seal up a simple sandwich bag with this style of fastening let alone a massive bag with a duvet in it!

I bought some Packmate ones years ago and used them to store duvets. One has never been opened because that duvet was too warm for me and 12 years later it’s still totally sealed. However, as stratobuddy said, having used a vacuum cleaner to remove the air it is fairly rigid.

I’ve also got a set of the Packmate travel ones. They’re very easy to roll up and the seal is substantial and works well.

I bought some Packmate ones years ago and used them to store duvets. One has never been opened because that duvet was too warm for me and 12 years later it’s still totally sealed. However, as stratobuddy said, having used a vacuum cleaner to remove the air it is fairly rigid.

I’ve also got a set of the Packmate travel ones. They’re very easy to roll up and the seal is substantial and works well.
I got excited then and went over to Q to have a look, and they've got really poor reviews. I think somebody mentioned that the ones they used to sell were much better, so maybe they've change since you bought them.

I've actually decided to give up! I've just looked at about 20 different retailers including Amazon and every single one has that silly "sandwich bag" seal. I've got a few bulky oodies/winter dressing gowns hanging up in the bedroom and they're getting in the way and I thought a decent set of these bags would be a perfect solution. I guess I'm gonna have to try and cram them into my already overstuffed underbed storage boxes or just put up with them hanging there - hey ho!

I got excited then and went over to Q to have a look, and they've got really poor reviews. I think somebody mentioned that the ones they used to sell were much better, so maybe they've change since you bought them.
The ones that I put the duvets in were bought years ago. I can’t remember whether they were bought from QVC though. The travel set was bought within the last few months and was from QVC and, like the older set, they’re fine. The double “zip” is substantial and maybe that’s why I’ve found them to be alright.

I did once buy a set of cheaper ones and they were useless and they reinflated when they fancied 🙄 so I stuck with a brand that I knew.

I’m so pleased you started this thread as I was also looking for bags for storage I saw a demo last week but found that the reviews were bad. I’m now thinking very large strong black bags for my smaller things. I used to put my daughters’ sleeping bags in bags when they went off to camp and then get them to lie on the bags to get all the air out and tie off the handles! I will try just rolling the air out this time though ! Not sure what to do with my winter duvet though!

My daughter brought me some storage bags from IKEA and they are brilliant for bedding , very large with a zip all the way round.
I just checked the Ikea site and I realised that the bags you're talking about aren't vacuum ones. Unfortunately I need something that takes up the absolute minimum of space. Again they sold vacuum sealed bags but with the usual fastenings. Like I keep saying why on earth hasn't someone come up with a vacuum bag that closes with a proper zipper, marrying up those ridges is nigh on impossible on something that size and they come un-popped really easily and it takes blinking ages too!

I don’t have to marry up the ridges on any of mine but I’ve had them for ages. The zip sorts it out. The cheaper ones had the “marrying up” issue though.

I'm now considering the Packmate hanging option for my winter coats and jackets as they are have an outer cover. I also like the duvet storage option which would go under a bed - if only I had double bed duvets ! There is a kingsize option but it's deeper. There seems to be a knack to sealing the inner bags where you slide the zipper back and forth FOUR times to seal! There are mixed reviews for the ones sold on QVC.

I had a quick wander around the shops in my break yesterday and came across a pack of two large packmate branded storage bags in a charity shop for £3, they didn't look as though they'd be used so I bought them. I can now understand why they were put in, as they were bliddy useless. I wonder whether the person who donated them bought a couple of packs and decided they weren't fit for purpose therefore got rid. Now these didn't require a vacuum cleaner or pump. It just said fill the bag, don't over stuff it, zip up the zipper then put the bag on a flat surface and expel all the air. Now I'd have thought that you'd expel the air before you zipped it up, but nevertheless I followed the instructions and that air was going nowhere! I unzipped it flattened it as best I could rezipped but it was just as bad. In the end I just pushed the bag with the hoodies inside under the bed, it was like squashing a large pillow under the bed - Well at least they're not in the way now and they're protected from dust and dirt. The other bag is still in the box, and I'm not sure what use I'll find for it. I'm tempted to chuck it but you never know. I'm so glad that I didn't waste any more than £3 and at least a charity has benefitted - but yes, my quest is well and truly over!

I had a quick wander around the shops in my break yesterday and came across a pack of two large packmate branded storage bags in a charity shop for £3, they didn't look as though they'd be used so I bought them. I can now understand why they were put in, as they were bliddy useless. I wonder whether the person who donated them bought a couple of packs and decided they weren't fit for purpose therefore got rid. Now these didn't require a vacuum cleaner or pump. It just said fill the bag, don't over stuff it, zip up the zipper then put the bag on a flat surface and expel all the air. Now I'd have thought that you'd expel the air before you zipped it up, but nevertheless I followed the instructions and that air was going nowhere! I unzipped it flattened it as best I could rezipped but it was just as bad. In the end I just pushed the bag with the hoodies inside under the bed, it was like squashing a large pillow under the bed - Well at least they're not in the way now and they're protected from dust and dirt. The other bag is still in the box, and I'm not sure what use I'll find for it. I'm tempted to chuck it but you never know. I'm so glad that I didn't waste any more than £3 and at least a charity has benefitted - but yes, my quest is well and truly over!
I've never used that type, but I thought they had a one-way valve somewhere on the bag, to let the air out when you squash it, but not let it back in. Can you see a valve anywhere?

I've never used that type, but I thought they had a one-way valve somewhere on the bag, to let the air out when you squash it, but not let it back in. Can you see a valve anywhere?
No, although they refer to the "valve end" and the zipper end in the instructions. There is nothing on the bags that remotely resembles a valve and it doesn't look like the bags have anything missing.

Latest posts

Back