The Gtech v Dyson cordless vacuum cleaners

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

alter ego

Registered Shopper
I need something that'll cope with dog hair and multi surfaces (carpet/wood/tile/rugs). Must be light and easy to use or it won't get used!

I had both the original Gtech sweeper (still going) that picks a lot up but is annoying when it spits/blows hair and small stones everywhere and a little mains charged Hoover (no tools, though) which sucked up the stuff the Gtech spat out! The battery has now died on this and I'm having problems getting a new one.

So, forumites, what's it to be? I have a large vacuum cleaner with tools but I'm finding it heavy and a bit (lot, actually!) of a pain - I want something that'll get the dust and dog hair up before hubby comes home, sees the mess and pulls the big one out in stormy silence!!!!!

TIA

From your post I wasn't sure if you were looking to compare a GTech sweeper or the new GTech AirRam (vacuum cleaner) with the Dyson cordless.

I have a Gtech sweeper which I found worked well on wooden floors and tiles but wasn't great on carpets. I bought an AirRam at the beginning of the year (from John Lewis not QVC) as I had read a lot of positive comments about how well it worked on all surfaces (including carpets) and how lightweight and easy to use it was.

I have been really pleased with my AirRam and my Dyson (which I found very heavy and cumbersome to the extent that I hated using it) hasn't seen the light of day in months. I find that the AirRam cleans better than the Dyson and my carpets haven't looked as good in years. I don't have any pets but reviews on the QVC website and others (John Lewis, Amazon etc) from people who do seem to suggest that it picks these up without a problem.

For me the best thing about the AirRam is how light and easy to use it is. I don't mind having to "hoover" anymore as it takes so little time and is so easy. Yes you do have to charge it up as the battery begins to lose power but it's very straightforward.

For info the sales assitant in John Lewis told me that they sell ten times the number of AirRams to cordless Dysons - can't verify that obviously.

The recent AirRam TSV was such a success so maybe QVC will bring it back as I think there were quite a few people who missed out.

Hope that helps.

I love my AirRam too!

My Sebo, Bissell, and Vax only get hauled out to do the stairs (so thats about a once a year outing for one of them) :blush:

I have a heavy corded dyson, a roomba robot and the gtec air ram. The roomba robot patrols downstairs coming out automatically 3 times a week to clean. The gtech air ram lives upstairs and is used to whizz around the rooms and it also does the stairs. The corded dyson is used only to suck air out of vacuum storage bags. I ran the air tech ram around the area where the roomba goes and it picked up a substantial amount of dust but I will still use the roomba downstairs as it is convenient. Forgot to mention I also have a carpet sweeper battery operated thing and that is used in the kitchen.
The gtech air ram is very good and I love it's lightness and lack of cord.
I suspect that the cordless dyson may still have battery problems - I think their previous model only worked for 15 mins before it needed a recharge and then pretty soon people reported it as only holding a charge for around 5 mins.

Last edited:
I used to have a Dyson, but found it too heavy to take upstairs so I bought a much lighter Oreck. I bought a GTech sweeper for those 'in-between' times. However, the Oreck is now relegated to the back of the cupboard and has been replaced by a GTech AirRam and I can't recommend it highly enough. It's really powerful for such a light machine and it even leaves tramlines on the carpet.

As Rural lady says ...... hopefully QVC will repeat it as a TSV. They would be onto a winner.

My air - ram went back, the battery wasn't lasting the 40 mins but only half an hour and that's only after 1 month (it may have been like that from the start but I sort of noticed it the more I used it) that said, it is a lovely piece of kit and perfect for quick once overs but doesn't go up to the edge as good as they make out. I haven't replaced mine as it's too much of an indulgence for £160 and use my standard g tech for quick jobs and a hoover for the proper cleans.

love my getech air ram the best vacume cleaner I have ever used. better than my beloved dyson and easier to move. even cleans better than my miele that lasted less than 3 years. I find it goes very close to the edge and this makes it perfect for stairs I have three sets of stairs so invaluable. cleans the kitchen floor and ceramic tiles in bathroom very well. the dyson handheld is uncomfortable as its very top heavy and I have arthritis in my right hand so not suitable for me. with the 5 year gurantee its a non brainer.

Thank you All for your reviews and insights. It is the Ram I was looking at. I loved my little cordless Hoover and used it daily as it was just a case of lift it off the charger and away to go.

I'm tempted by the cordless Dyson as it seems to have all the tools I need plus it can be used in the car.

I know I'll get back into the swing of daily housework if it's made a bit easier for me! I sound lazy but I've had several years of illness and don't want to be nagged into doing more than I can cope with dragging a monster vacuum cleaner (feels like that to me!) out every day.

Just being nosy - the people who had problems with their batteries - did you charge your battery fully before using? I know lots of companies say that their product can be used "out of the box" or after such and such a time on charge, but I got caught by that with a few things and never had good charge. A techie friend of mine who works with battery development (yep, really!) warned me to always charge batteries up at least 16 hours before use and "calibrate" them by discharging them completely now and then. Now, this would be easy advice to follow except there are certain types of battery that don't like to be discharged completely - and (thank you, non-working brain) I can't remember which is which. If I ask him one more time I'll be in hospital having a heavy object removed from my head!

Thanks again :)

Ive got the Dyson cordless, it was expensive, but I love it, Ive got two dogs and two cats, and although I still use the big Dyson, this one is so handy, and really easy to use, its perfect for the stairs, you just need a wall somewhere to attach its charger to, mine is on the wall in the garage, but the garage is just off my kitchen so its very easy to get to.

The charge lasts ages as well

I have the Dyson cordless and absolutely love it. I have three cats and find it is very good for getting up cat hair. I also like the tools which came from it, it's a great all rounder and I haven't used my Miele Cat and Dog culinder since I got it.
Mum has the Gtech Air ram and loves that too!! I have borrowed it for a play and think it has edge on cleaning flat carpets, gets tons of dust and dirt up and all the cat hair. But it has no tools with it. Mum has an upright Miele which she doesn't use much any more, although she uses the tools on it.
I've not used my Dyson in the car as I'm not sure how good it would be as you need to keep your finger on the button all the time so no good if using the hose attachment.
I would say both are fabulous models and you would be pleased with either.
If you mainly want it to clean flat surfaces and can use your older model with its tools on other jobs, then go for the Gtech, as it is also considerably cheaper and comes with a 5 year warranty......but you would be equally impressed with the Dyson!!!

It might be a good idea to wait before buying an Air Ram as GTech are bringing out a new model with tools in the autumn (I think maybe around September time).

From QvC's what's on in June email, I think the AriRam TSV is scheduled for a repeat.

as I have arthritis the thought of having to keep a button pressed down while I vacuum would be uncomfortable. the ariram works like a regular quality vacum without the weight and the cord. I admit if I had a regular getech sweeper I would not buy the airram

as I have arthritis the thought of having to keep a button pressed down while I vacuum would be uncomfortable. the ariram works like a regular quality vacum without the weight and the cord. I admit if I had a regular getech sweeper I would not buy the airram
I have arthritis, but it's fine holding the button down....apparently tey did it this way to save battery so it only uses power when it has to.

its also good on the amount of charge I just about charge it twice a week very economical to run and nothing cleans so good imo

I have broken my no buy embargo with Q and brought the Air Ram when it was a T.S.V last weekend.
So far so good I do find that I need to empty it after every use but it is so easy that it is not an issue.
I too have Rheumatoid Arthritis and fibromialga and using my big vacume was just to much so I just kept putting it off until I had "dust elephants" in the corners of the rooms.
Now I can just run the Air ram around the house and it is over and done with in 15 mins so I am using it almost daily now rather than once a month with my big cleaner.
I will be keeping an eye on the battery charge but with a 5 year guarantee I hope it will last at least that long.

Ooh by the way, they are true to their word with the guarantee, a small part broke on mums gtech after just after a year, and gtech are sending out a replacement part without question......

Latest posts

Back