The next fashion fad ????

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think you and I are the only people I know who like marzipan! Not a big choc lover but it does have to be dark. Tell me you love noughat - the hard stuff not the soft. Don’t like fudge, and particularly hate so called toffee which is as soft as fudge.
I'm marzipan lover no.3. There was a display of dark chocolate covered marzipan bars at the farm shop this morning but I saw them as my last item was scanned so wasn't meant to have them, well not this week anyway!

Remember toffee in the tray with the hammer? Now that was hard.

Thorntons used to do bags of hard toffee with nuts and Poundland sold them for £1 but I haven’t seen them for a year or more and all our Thornton shops have gone. Mr L was very fond of the strawberry mice covered in chocolate.

My Mum used to buy bags full of buttered brazil nut toffee. Whole brazils coated in a hard toffee and you needed good teeth to eat them. Her crunching used to drive me mad but I haven`t seen them in years and have no idea if they still make them.
Mum was a hard toffee fan, she used to buy the trays with the little hammer as well and her homemade treacle toffee was hard enough to build houses with, she didn`t make the chewy kind.
In our local town there used to be a large outdoor market which had a huge sweet stall. Every Saturday she`d buy several quarters of various sweets , always hard ones and when she passed away my Dad asked me to empty her wardrobe and every handbag and every coat pocket had sweets in them.
My oldest son who`se 45 remembers her well and he says I`m turning into her, she died 32 years ago and I always have sweets in my bag too, usually mints or sherbet lemons but my son says when he asks do I have a sweet he knows I always do and my grandkids know the same.

Oh that brings back memories ! my Gran always had mint imperials and menthol sweets in her handbag, along with a 4711 cologne stick - for rubbing on her temples when she had a headache ! then there was the miniature brandy/whisky which she put in her tea when we went out. They don't make 'em like that generation any more.

I'm marzipan lover no.3. There was a display of dark chocolate covered marzipan bars at the farm shop this morning but I saw them as my last item was scanned so wasn't meant to have them, well not this week anyway!
Lots of marzipan here in the link. Flavours I`ve never heard of before. I`m not a fan of marzipan, I prefer nutty or caramel chocolate.

I’ve lost more than one filling to those iced covered caramels but I haven’t seen them in years. There doesn’t seem to be the same variety of sweets nowadays.
There used to be a shop called Fullers they had those iced toffees and did cakes.I know they had a cafe on Princes Street in Edinburgh.I thought it was very posh.

There was a sweet called tea cakes (NOT the marshmallow things) which visually I can only described as flattened poo balls (I bet your mouth is watering!) which were lovely and chewy with a slight coconut flavour . Sometimes they were available covered in chocolate. Chewing nuts were similar- not a bit wonder I keep losing filings!

There was a sweet called tea cakes (NOT the marshmallow things) which visually I can only described as flattened poo balls (I bet your mouth is watering!) which were lovely and chewy with a slight coconut flavour . Sometimes they were available covered in chocolate. Chewing nuts were similar- not a bit wonder I keep losing filings!
Teacakes
Chewing nuts

I did buy a load of sweets from those places who say they have all the old childhood favourites but unfortunately they weren’t anything like the originals.

I used to love ‘Lardy cakes’ many moons ago. Saw a pack in a bakery a couple of years ago, but obviously have now gone ‘pc’ (not made with lard!) They were vile, dry and tasteless! Why does nothing taste the same anymore?

Yep shrinkflation , less sugar, less fat, more preservatives and additives, thinner coatings, artificial sweeteners, powdered milks and thickeners and chemical colourings etc etc and everything from Mars Bars to pear drops tastes rubbish these days. Bring back the originals.

Have we any more coconut ice fans here? In my prime I could easily eat a quarter of a pound at one go. Pure, unadulterated pleasure - and calories - which I was able to burn off back in the day.

I adored Spanish Gold as a child, pretend loose tobacco in a sparkly sweet rough coating. Delicious. I also used to take my gums off with kaoli lumps, compressed extremely hard sherbet and swear I’d never have them again but always did.
Tobacco (which PC became Spanish Gold) was a big fav with me although I was never a big fan of sweetie cigarettes (PC became candy sticks?) as even as a child I didn’t have an overly sweet tooth.

I adored Spanish Gold as a child, pretend loose tobacco in a sparkly sweet rough coating. Delicious. I also used to take my gums off with kaoli lumps, compressed extremely hard sherbet and swear I’d never have them again but always did.
In a red packet with a picture of a galleon? I'm 61 & the sweets of my childhood were amazing; loved kaoli, caylie. cayli, kaylie, kayli or whatever it was called & can also remember a hard twisted 'stick' with a centre core of chocolate, a sort of artistically reversed Dime bar. I also adored Aztec - Cadburys version of Mars, Spangles & Cherry Lips 😋

Liquorice! Lovely but most be hard. The last packet of liquorice all sorts were a real disappointment, too sweet and the liquorice was non existent.

A local garage sometimes has a stick of liquorice with chocolate up the centre.

although I like red stuff it’s not liquorice.

Latest posts

Back