The wedding shop

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bettyboo

Registered Shopper
I’ve just received an email from QVC inviting me to visit the Wedding Shop. I clicked on the outfit to remember. Please tell me it’s not me that has bad taste when I say the outfits shown were awful and some of them more like something I would wear to a funeral or even to take the dog a walk. I am lost for words.

Well, that might not be so daft as it sounds LATI.

We've said on here before that dressing up for an event appears to have gone the way of the 'suit' - shamefully. Only this weekend, the lad up the road celebrated his 21st, and Mum had hired a limo for 12 for an evening out at a restaurant in London.

I could not believe my eyes as to how they were dressed. Dressed for the allotments would how I would describe it. Being young I didn't expect the lad and his friends to be togged out in a suit, BUT a track suit with stripe down the side ??? Granny was in a 'ruthless' type cardi, and mum and friends were trying to look 20 again in their tight plastic trousers and tops. All were carrying bottles as they left the house.

Each to their own, I know, but its got to the stage where if I put on a dress to walk the dog (instead of the usual winter gear of trousers) I get asked "going somewhere nice ?" Ironic really when 'going somewhere nice' most people cant be bothered to look 'nice'.

I didn't get the email but I've just had a quick look and under the "Occasion wear" title I found one thing that I'd consider wearing to somebody's wedding and it's this Frank Usher midi dress. The rest of the stuff was totally unsuitable imo. One item was a sweatshirt fgs! Ok, they didn't state what the "ocassion" was, but as it was in the "wedding shop"...maybe they're including dog weddings in this, as a lot of the stuff looked like you were dressed to walk the dog or dig up the garden. Yes and a lot of black!
1647955051903.png

I really like the look of that dress and ironically it was Julia Roberts wearing it that piqued my interest!
She’s about my size and colouring. Unfortunately it’s not in my size or preferred colour.
Typical! 😂

I really like the look of that dress and ironically it was Julia Roberts wearing it that piqued my interest!
She’s about my size and colouring. Unfortunately it’s not in my size or preferred colour.
Typical! 😂
That's a shame. The other colour/pattern is just not the same dress, whilst it's ok, the one I've pictured is really nice, and would be ideal to wear to a wedding or any special ocassion. I'd like to see it styled with a simple pair of heels, or a pair of wedge heeled sandals. I know Julia has trouble with her feet so is limited in what she can wear, but her shoes were all wrong as are the pointy ankle boots in the picture above.
My size and style is available, however, I've got no ocassion on the cards, and I have got a couple of lovely dresses in my wardrobe that would be ideal to wear to a wedding, so won't be buying.

People these days just don`t seem to have standards when it comes to dressing for an occasion. I`ve been to funerals where mourners and family members have turned up dressed as if they`re off for a walk or a trip to the pub. Jeans, jumpers, trainers, no shirts and ties, women dressed in T shirts and leggings etc.
The same with weddings and christenings. At one time you were considered under dressed if you didn`t wear a hat, let alone if you didn`t turn up wearing your best bib and tucker. It used to be the talking point of the local hairdressers ie what you were going wear when your sister/brother/son/daughter/best friend got married and day trips to the shops or local dress makers were arranged well in advance.
Bridesmaid dress colours were a state secret except to immediate female family members, as were floral arrangements and the bride`s dress was hidden under old sheets and lock and key.
In my family my Mum liked nothing better than the excitement of an upcoming wedding or christening. If we`d had a wash house then it would have been the talk of it. Even funerals had to be arranged down to the last detail, all family members inspected before leaving for the Church and that shirts were properly ironed, ties were straight, tights didn`t have any ladders in them, all shoes were cleaned and polished, suits had been dry cleaned and everybody had a clean hanky.
Even the post funeral buffet had a mega inspection before allowing people near it and that the butties were fresh, no curled edges allowed, the urn was well filled with boiling water for tea, the cakes were undressed from their tuppaware containers, the salad and cooked meats were so fresh they squeaked and local butchers or shops reputations could be made or destroyed by the quality of stuff they provided for a good send off.

I went to a wedding last year - first in 30 years - and was in a real quandary what to wear and was so stressed if I could have got out of it I would. Anyway got myself sorted but was surprised at how casual some of the guest were. It was billed as low key but it was quite difficult to get something dressy but not too formal but it ended with Mr L looking smarter than the groom (2nd time) and his best men which was funny as they all work in professions where a suit is expected. Still they seemed happy.

I lie, there is a wedding for me on the horizon, my closest friend and her fella are going to book a civil ceremony as neither are in the least bit religious, and don't like fuss, even a simple registry office wedding is too much in her eyes. She wants to book a late morning slot, and it'll be on a Wednesday 'cause that's they day they do these ceremonies in our town. His best friend is going to be a witness and I'm going to be hers. After that she said she's gonna invite a few more people and weather permitting we'll take a few cans down the beach or go to the nearest pub. So yes one of those hoodies and a pair of leggings will be ideal lol! I must admit I'm a bit disappointed, as I love a good wedding and think she might regret making it such a "non event", however, it's their day and if that's what they want, who am I to say? I feel honoured to be one of only 2 guests at the actual ceremony, which I've heard is over in less than 30 minutes. They've not booked yet, hopefully they'll decide upon something more worthy of such a milestone in one's life!

Last edited:
Many years ago a friend of mine who was a mature student in his 30`s (a rarity back then) asked me to his wedding. His bride to be wore a T shirt and trousers, he wore jeans and a not very clean shirt and the bride had a rose from someone`s front garden pinned to her T shirt. I was one of just 3 guests, me, another mutual friend and the groom`s brother were the other 2.
After the registry office quickie we headed to the student bar of his Uni and made do with packets of crisps as the wedding buffet. They were both skint, both students and I felt rather overdressed in my smart skirt, blouse and jacket. They lived in a dodgy area of Salford and in an even dodgier death trap of a student house and even the local cats went around in pairs because the area was notorious for crime.
Sadly the marriage didn`t last longer than a few years but at least they didn`t spend many thousands like so many couples do nowadays.

My wedding in 1979... the day that Margaret Thatcher came to power.

Dress from a catalogue (back then it was hell's own job trying to find a frock in a size 18 ! )
Registry Office
Reception at new hubby's cricket club, so didn't cost a thing. ( Dad got everyone playing cards, and the rest had a competition at the dartboard !!!!!)
Did my own catering from Tesco's for around 30
My cake was the top tier (of a normal wedding cake) that my friend cooked
Mum bought the buttonholes, and my corsage.
I had flowers pinned above each ear - (hat decorations bought from Littlewoods)
My firm had a whip round, so the money paid for my wedding ring and a pair of curtains lol !
The chap from work was supposed to take the photographs but fell sick, so I only had 'snaps' to record the day.
No honeymoon, but I did get a puncture on the way to our new home after the reception 😂

Total cost ? less than £75

NEVERTHELESS, all the ladies wore dresses and lovely hats, and all the chaps wore suits. Our marriage lasted 23 years - he died. Everyone said they had a fabulous time, so its not about spending an obscene amount of money just for the sake of photographs - which is what the expense is all about.

My wedding in 1979... the day that Margaret Thatcher came to power.

Dress from a catalogue (back then it was hell's own job trying to find a frock in a size 18 ! )
Registry Office
Reception at new hubby's cricket club, so didn't cost a thing. ( Dad got everyone playing cards, and the rest had a competition at the dartboard !!!!!)
Did my own catering from Tesco's for around 30
My cake was the top tier (of a normal wedding cake) that my friend cooked
Mum bought the buttonholes, and my corsage.
I had flowers pinned above each ear - (hat decorations bought from Littlewoods)
My firm had a whip round, so the money paid for my wedding ring and a pair of curtains lol !
The chap from work was supposed to take the photographs but fell sick, so I only had 'snaps' to record the day.
No honeymoon, but I did get a puncture on the way to our new home after the reception 😂

Total cost ? less than £75

NEVERTHELESS, all the ladies wore dresses and lovely hats, and all the chaps wore suits. Our marriage lasted 23 years - he died. Everyone said they had a fabulous time, so its not about spending an obscene amount of money just for the sake of photographs - which is what the expense is all about.
I totally agree. My wedding wasn't an expensive affair either, it probably cost about £1,200, which is probably the equivalent of what you paid way back when. We planned it well and got lots of good deals. Dress from catalogue down from about £300 to £66, shoes from New look for £3. Hubby and best man hired their suits, We booked a large function room in our local pub for the reception, and they were able to recommend a good dj who didn't charge the earth. Buffet, wedding cake, welcome drinks and champers for the toast all from Waitrose Entertaining using my staff discount, wedding car, friends hubby bedecked his lovely white car with ribbons and drove us from the registry office to the reception, Hubby's nephew who's a photographer said he'd do our photos as a wedding present. I made my own bouquet and buttonholes, wedding ring from a second hand jeweller 'cause the ones on the high street that weren't silly money were all thin, flimsy and hollowed out. £88 bought me a weighty wide gold band with an engraved detail, 2 bridesmaids dresses (just nice normal dresses) from Debenhams sale and I presented them with a simple Pandora bracelet each for doing me the honours, and yes all the guests were really well turned out!
I've been to a couple of low budget low key affairs, and whilst it isn't about the money, it's about the planning and thought put into it. Both of the low key ones were rushed. Firstly an old schoolfriend met this guy when she was in college and they decided to get married after about 2 months of dating one another. He lived in a grotty bedsit, and she lived in a nice village. Her parents were dead set against and refused to help financially. They got married in the her local church, and had a reception in the village hall. Drinks consisted of a few crates of Newcastle brown and the groom's best mate brought his sound system down to the hall and treated us to an evening of heavy metal music - It was horrendous, and the marriage didn't even last a whole year. She moved into the grotty bedsit, hubby started working nights, she got friendly with the best man...big punch up and upheaval but a few years later she married him, but they married without ceremony and didn't invite anyone apart from her sister and his brother - That marriage lasted a little longer but not much - oh dear!
The other memorable one (for all the wrong reasons) was my ex's sister met a fella and again after a couple of months of dating, they announced they were getting married in 3 weeks time..rush rush. Wedding at registry office, few drinks round her nan's who lived nearby and that was it. I'll never forget after the ceremony, the registrar rushing outside where we were taking pictures of the happy couple and approached the bride's mother telling her that the wedding hadn't been paid for. Guess what? She didn't have any money, my fella was skint so they asked me and I had to write a ****** cheque. I mean I got the money back the next week but it was horrendous!
Just spend a few months making plans and finding good deals and it doesn't have to cost the earth!

It always amazes me that the very mention of the word "wedding" and all the traders see pound signs, and everything from cars to photographers, and everywhere for a venue / caterers is booked up for the next 18 months plus.

For a funeral, - apart from photographs, the same necessities are required - church (if required), venue / caterers, and cars, and this can all be sorted within a fortnight !!

I wonder if anyone dare to book a 'funeral' then all pitch up with a DJ for a wedding ! I'd love that.

I lie, there is a wedding for me on the horizon, my closest friend and her fella are going to book a civil ceremony as neither are in the least bit religious, and don't like fuss, even a simple registry office wedding is too much in her eyes. She wants to book a late morning slot, and it'll be on a Wednesday 'cause that's they day they do these ceremonies in our town. His best friend is going to be a witness and I'm going to be hers. After that she said she's gonna invite a few more people and weather permitting we'll take a few cans down the beach or go to the nearest pub. So yes one of those hoodies and a pair of leggings will be ideal lol! I must admit I'm a bit disappointed, as I love a good wedding and think she might regret making it such a "non event", however, it's their day and if that's what they want, who am I to say? I feel honoured to be one of only 2 guests at the actual ceremony, which I've heard is over in less than 30 minutes. They've not booked yet, hopefully they'll decide upon something more worthy of such a milestone in one's life!
I'm going to a family wedding in July and I've no idea what I'm going to wear. I'm 54, size 18 and 5 foot 2. There's not exactly a large choice out there! And I'll have to wear flat sandals as I have a foot deformity caused by rheumatoid arthritis. It's a civil ceremony in a manor house so everyone will (should!) be smart. I'll definitely wear a dress or two piece but don't want to look frumpy (I never wear dresses). Not looking forward to going shopping for an outfit...

I wore a short sleeve maxi dress (got it shortened to ankle lenght) and wore a smartish cropped jacket. Luckily I already had jazzy shoes which were a perfect match and bought a fascinator and clutch bag to match in a sale .
I think unless you are part of the bridal family you can get away with a bit more.

If you look on member Twighlight posts you will see a link to a lovely dress she bought for a do, unfortunately I’m too short and fat!

I wore a short sleeve maxi dress (got it shortened to ankle lenght) and wore a smartish cropped jacket. Luckily I already had jazzy shoes which were a perfect match and bought a fascinator and clutch bag to match in a sale .
I think unless you are part of the bridal family you can get away with a bit more.

If you look on member Twighlight posts you will see a link to a lovely dress she bought for a do, unfortunately I’m too short and fat!
Thanks, I'll have a look. And I'm part of the bride's family, she's my cousin's daughter. I'm sure once I start looking I'll find something appropriate.

I am sorry you lost your husband Brissles and I hope it was a good 23 years. When you were getting married, I was on an aeroplane, heading off for a family holiday in Tunisia. I remember that day because my Dad was annoyed because he wasn't able to make it the polling station!

The occasion wear on QVC is dire. The Frank Usher dress is suitable and I actually have the green paisley Monsoon dress (193942) which I might wear to a winter wedding but nothing else stands out as suitable for a celebration. I suppose a funeral is still an occasion but I don't think that Q are eluding to that type of occasion. I go to more funerals than weddings these days sadly.

Weddings, oh my goodness! Get yourself a cuppa and sit comfortables.

We got married in 1987 when we were both still students and broke. Despite this, my parents wanted to whole shabang. Paul and I just wanted to hop on a bus, go to the registry office in Sheffield and tie the knot. He is an only child but I have 4 brothers and am the only girl. It was, without a doubt my Mother's day. They were paying and she was dictating. I will say that we enjoyed the day but it wasn't our day and we had minimal input into the arrangements. Paul's parents were skint at the time as his Dad had been laid off work. It was hard times, especially in the North, as I am sure we all remember. They were not in a position to pay for weddings and I felt sad that my Mum took that to mean that they would have no say in the occasion, just turn up basically.

We were married in the Catholic church in my hometown. My Mother had the church busting with flowers, everywhere, the altar, the aisles, the balcony, the organ, everywhere. It was a full nuptual mass, so we enjoyed them for about an hour and a half. I wanted an ivory silk dress and ivory vintage car. I got a white lace dress, that covered every inch of flesh and itched like crazy. Dad and I rode to the church in a blue and silver Rolls Royce. Bridesmaids and other top table guests went in ivory Mercedes cars, irony! Paul had to buy a blue suit, which was handy as when we went shopping, there was a navy one in the sale on blue x for £25, sold! He had to wear blue as I wanted pink bridesmaid dresses but my Mother ordered blue. She ordered them without consulting me and just liked the colour. I was 250 miles away at nursing school, it was really manipulative of her and pi$$ed me off. My own bouquet was pink and I had to add blue accents to make it match, the same with the 7 tier cake. The cake had to have it's own bloomin' table. Hey-ho, as long as we get hitched we thought, just play along. By the way, my bridesmaids looked like a strippers in electric blue, so 1980s. Mum got her friend to play the organ, even though I have a friend who is a professional pipe organist ooh matron!. Result, Ron bollocksed the whole thing up. He couldn't play a pipe organ, a wizzard on the old Bontempi. The wedding march, hymns, the whole lot was a complete dogs dinner, bum notes and off key. Endless photographs that I am sure cost a small fortune and a videographer on top. I would have been happy with a few friends taking pics but Mother wanted it "properly" documented. It was her day after all!

Reception. What's wrong with the local social club? Nothing, if you are normal. But, we had about 260 guests. Paul had invited about 20 people and I invited just 6. The rest were family, who came mostly from Ireland and Sweden, Paul's Yorkshire family and friends. Plus shed loads friends of my parents, several of whom I had never even met. She invited even more people that were unable to make it, thankfully! So, the reception was held at Tylney Hall as it was big and grand enough for her ladyship. Full silver service meal, entertainment, the ballroom was also groaning with flowers. I was seriously relieved that nobody had allergies with the amount of pollen, she even had them placed in the toilets. We had Irish dancing girls from the local Irish society. I must say I loved that part as i used to do it. We had a full ceilidh band in the evening, absolutely no disco was allowed. Mum calls that "noise". We had another full cold running buffet which was brought out all evening long until about 10:30pm. Dad insisted on paying for an unlimited bar from arrival drinks to the end at 1am. He would not let anybody "put their hand in their pocket for anything at his daughters' wedding". Let's just say, everyone took full advantage of that and rised it.

It was a really big do. My parents still talk about it and how fantastic it was. Goodness knows how much they spent, they would never discuss the prices. If Mother wanted it, Dad wrote the cheque! She says it is never the same being Mother of the groom as it is being Mother of the bride. I would have thought it is just as special but that's just me. I just joke that we have been married for 34 years, so we become a better investment every year :)

It is nice that my parents had the money but I still think all the extravegance is totally unnecessary. I think Paul and I would be as happy and still married if we had just hopped on that bus and done it at the registry office.

So, that is the story of my big fat Irish wedding.

Latest posts

Back