top 5 rules whilst presenting luxury bedding...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JR's Ego

Registered Shopper
  • do not constantly rub/stroke the sheet, not only does it look ridiculous, the sound is very annoying and doesn't benefit the potential purchaser, in fact, its off putting
  • No bed linen will give a 'new bedroom' look. In fact in Northern nights case, the bedroom woill look worse, as we dont have option to buy matching curtains/blinds
  • High thread count = NOT easy care NOT easy iron and it might be used in 5 star hotels/celebrity bedrooms but how many of these people have laundry days NOT including a maid?
  • Stop taking the p*** regarding charging such high prices. So softening the 'blow' using 'your investment' doesnt work, because it will only last as long as the fashion colour/design lasts (unless you buy all white)
  • maybe point out that these feather matresses/pillows are a nightmare to launder, super heavy when wet, a fortune to dry clean and feathers DO stick through

I have had a complete NN bed since 2004 (but never NN linen) and it is ok, but goes as flat as a pancake very quickly unless you are prepared to shake everything like a numatic road driller everyday. No way will I remove bottom sheet every day to shake baffle feather matress.. besides its far too heavy.

The best bed I had the pleasure to sleep in was 100% memory foam, it was bliss and when I got back into feather it was yuk in comparison. So Im tempted to try a memory foam matress, recommendations would be appreciated!

I bought a memory foam mattress topper for around £50.00 from Poundsaver (or a shop like that) 3 years or so ago & haven't looked back since. I'm bony & found my left hip was starting to ache during the night & in the morning it was quite painful. I did some research on the internet & decided the topper was probably best for me. They are so good, only about an inch thick, but that does the job. I bought one for my mother-in-law and my eldest daughter & they love it too.

I too can not imagine why anyone would opt for a feather topper.

we bought a memory foam mattress topper last year and have now bought them for the pother beds as well. Heaven, absolute heaven and now hate sleeping elsewhere as I miss my own bed. Makes it a pleasure coming home from holiday, as I spend the whole way thinking about My bed
If you have slept on it and enjoyed it : go for it. I would not be without mine

I've never slept on a feather topper so can't comment on it (don't fancy it at all though!) but I can honestly say since I bought my memory foam topper a few years ago I've never been more comfy in any bed. I've bought toppers for all my children and the spare bedroom and any time anyone comes to stay they always remark on how comfy the bed was. I would never be without mine now and can't rate it highly enough.

I've tried both and definitely the memory foam topper - I've even bought a new one to go on top of my memory foam mattress! (Not anything as luxurious as a Tempur I have to say!) The other plus from my point of view is NO shaking and fluffing up required..those featherbeds are ruddy heavy!

I love love love :cheeky: my memory foam topper! I bought it from Dunelm Mill if you've an outlet near you.

Last edited:
I have two feather beds..one on top of the other( yes it's the princess and the pea story) and I do like them but they are a bl**dy pain to fluff up as they're so heavy. Covers on them stop the feathers poking through. However when it comes time for them to be replaced I will now consider memory foam after reading all your recommendations.

I'm with Carol and Trixiewoo - I bought a topper (abotu 5cm) from Dunelm and it's FAB!!!!

Only problem is, I don't want to get up, I can't wait to go back to bed and I have middle of the afternoon naps if I can get away with it :grin:

I have been sorely tempted to buy a memory foam, BUT I've heard reports that they make you very hot, despite being very comfortable. Is this true ? only I do spend half the night throwing off the duvet and the other half covering up again ! and yes I do have a feather topper, which I too cant be ar......ed to fluff up every day.

I have tried 2 memory foam toppers and after about 3 months I was crippled by the pain in my back. Topper gone, pain gone but at first they were bliss :sad:

I have been sorely tempted to buy a memory foam, BUT I've heard reports that they make you very hot, despite being very comfortable. Is this true ? only I do spend half the night throwing off the duvet and the other half covering up again ! and yes I do have a feather topper, which I too cant be ar......ed to fluff up every day.

I would say "No", they do not make you hot in bed.
Mine came with a zip cover & on top of that I've got a mattress protector, then a sheet.

I love my NN feather/down topper...but only put the sheet over this not the mattress as well ...so quite easy to shake up the whole lot every morning.

My son bought the ~polar~ foam topper from Ideal World, not able to compare it to a regular, one but he loves it and doesn't get hot.

daydreamer

I have neck and hip pains so I bought a bed with a combination mattress and I love it! The 'bottom' is a conventional spring with a two inch thick memory foam incorporated in the 'top' so it has the best of both world's. It's extremely heavy but as the memory foam is on the top you never have to flip it over, just as well it would take two fit people to do it ! I just spin it round every four to six weeks so the top's at the bottom etc to even out any wear.

Drawbacks - because of it's construction it's very deep which can make buying fitted base sheets difficult and it's a bit higher than an average bed so when I bought a throw I had to get a kingsize so it didn't look like it had had a row with the floor!

I too was a little concerned about the stories of them being hot (being a certain age ! ) but I can honestly say that I haven't had a problem with it but the cover is slightly fleeced so that might have a nuetralising effect

I was so pleased with mine that I bought a one inch mattress topper from Ideal World for the guest bed when they were on special offer thinking that if it wasn't right I could return it but everyone says its very comfortable. It's the best bed I've ever had and I've never regretted buying it

• do not constantly rub/stroke the sheet, not only does it look ridiculous, the sound is very annoying and doesn't benefit the potential purchaser, in fact, its off putting
  • No bed linen will give a 'new bedroom' look. In fact in Northern nights case, the bedroom woill look worse, as we dont have option to buy matching curtains/blinds
  • High thread count = NOT easy care NOT easy iron and it might be used in 5 star hotels/celebrity bedrooms but how many of these people have laundry days NOT including a maid?
  • Stop taking the p*** regarding charging such high prices. So softening the 'blow' using 'your investment' doesnt work, because it will only last as long as the fashion colour/design lasts (unless you buy all white)
  • maybe point out that these feather matresses/pillows are a nightmare to launder, super heavy when wet, a fortune to dry clean and feathers DO stick through

I have had a complete NN bed since 2004 (but never NN linen) and it is ok, but goes as flat as a pancake very quickly unless you are prepared to shake everything like a numatic road driller everyday. No way will I remove bottom sheet every day to shake baffle feather matress.. besides its far too heavy.

The best bed I had the pleasure to sleep in was 100% memory foam, it was bliss and when I got back into feather it was yuk in comparison. So Im tempted to try a memory foam matress, recommendations would be appreciated!

Rule 6: Dont have Debbie "you'll be able to afford this by the time the stock comes in" Flint presenting it because however much you may dislike NN, she will make the experience 100 times worse.

I have been sorely tempted to buy a memory foam, BUT I've heard reports that they make you very hot, despite being very comfortable. Is this true ?

I certainly found it to be true. It may depend on your personal thermostat (or age!), but I was far too hot when I slept on an ordinary memory foam topper. Then I tried what they call "polar" memory foam - and it's fantastic, not at all hot. No more throwing the duvet on and off, just the most wonderfully comfortable, cool sleeping environment.

The polar foam toppers come in various guises - some with "zones", some in an egg box-type design - but I just have the plain flat topper and I love it.

Last edited:
Do you have to buy deeper fitted sheets to go with these toppers of do old regular ones work?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back