"Umpeer" Lines

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
This ridiculous affliction is now infecting every U.S fashion guest it seems.

Its not "Umpeer" its EMPIRE. as in BRITISH.

I can only assume that they think they're pronouncing it the French way (and getting it hopelessly wrong) because Americans (and Canadians) think that doing that kind of thing is classy, when in fact it just makes them look dim.

Like, I wouldnt go to New York and regale them with tales of my weekends in "Paree" or "Munchen" would I?

I also dislike it when they elongate their vowels in an attempt to sound "posh" such as "pecaaaan" for pecan, or "kebaaarb" for kebab, or Bo-rock for Barack Obama.

The style did originate in France and the Americans do seem to go with French pronunciation such as fillet, valet etc. I suppose they're desperate to give the awful qvc clothes any cachet no matter how fictitious.

:giggle:
The style did originate in France and the Americans do seem to go with French pronunciation such as fillet, valet etc. I suppose they're desperate to give the awful qvc clothes any cachet no matter how fictitious.

nice.... do you pronounce it "catch-it"?

It's not Umpire then? Like this natty little blazer and city short combo?

Jude xx

Attachments

• umpires.jpg
    umpires.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 109
As a small child in the fifities I wore a bolero not a bolairo. I think thats a piece of music.

well I havent been involved in one before alibeth so i'll thank you to leave me to it. and please feel free NOT to participate!

Yawn..yet another thread attacking the way Americans speak...enough already..

I didn't attack how American's speak, my only criticism was of the clothing. I actually was mad enough to email QVC with a complaint about a guest and presenter as their mockery of the American accent and way of speaking while presenting a famous USA brand was squirm inducing. I got a bog standard reply, how surprising.

I didn't attack how American's speak, my only criticism was of the clothing. I actually was mad enough to email QVC with a complaint about a guest and presenter as their mockery of the American accent and way of speaking while presenting a famous USA brand was squirm inducing. I got a bog standard reply, how surprising.

Never accused you vampy...just referring to a recent thread on here that was very negative about Americans all round especially their speech. Good for you re. the email, typical QVC reply.

Just a thought...if an American student is studying the Romans would they pronounce it as the fall of the "Umpeer"? Or is it a clothing related affectation?

Jude xx

PS Love Canadians eh?

Latest posts

Back