Was Crafting part of QVC since the channel began

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ideal World used to have good crafting shows with really cheap products to buy. I bought loads way back then. The downside was the couple of grossly overweight blokes who presented it.

The QVC went into crafting big time with Dawn with crafting days - which I was glued to (see what I did there ?).

Loved watching Dawn Bibby on QVC back in the day, she got everyone into crafting. QVCs craft days were legendary and I never used to miss them. Bought far too much and then they used to have Carol Smith on from the US and she was one excellent sales woman so I bought more! Really don't like Sara Davies that they have on now, far too bossy and shouty and she talks too fast. I'm not really into papercrafting anymore but I was at one time and spent a fortune.

CC

In the early 90s QVC sold mainly US craft brands like Plaid: Gallery Glass and Folk Art painting sets. Debbie Bibby first appeared with foiling and "paint sets", The names will come to me. Jones Tones maybe?
I think the paper-crafting was promoted by D Bibby based on customer sales of the early one-off craft items which tended to appear in the general hours like Around the House and other "sampler" non-dedicated hours.
I hope they branch out beyond the two brands by Anna Griffin and Sara Davies for a bit of healthy competition. I suspect they will stick with sets and not big packs of paper , inks etc on their own. Craft has sold well before but takes more warehouse storage than jewellery and beauty where the mark up margins are bigger.

Loved watching Dawn Bibby on QVC back in the day, she got everyone into crafting. QVCs craft days were legendary and I never used to miss them. Bought far too much and then they used to have Carol Smith on from the US and she was one excellent sales woman so I bought more! Really don't like Sara Davies that they have on now, far too bossy and shouty and she talks too fast. I'm not really into papercrafting anymore but I was at one time and spent a fortune.

CC

Me too ! I think Dawn might have been responsible for the crafting explosion in the country back then ! even crafting shops were stocked to the gunnels with 'stuff' like an Aladdins cave of goodies.

I still have boxes of coloured glitter and a bow-maker which I regularly use, but sadly a lot of the craft shops have gone to the wall. What's happened ? has the internet taken over ? Yes, there is Hobbycraft but in my area they too have reduced the size of the shop.

I have been a regular stallholder at Village hall craft fairs in my local region, but in recent years the attendance through the door has dwindled, with many occasions only having around 30 people during a 6 hour event. Pretty demoralising when you consider we have to pay petrol, stall fees - sometimes £25 !!!! and all the time and effort. I won't be doing any this year, but concentrate on outdoor events where footfall is generally better dependant on weather.

Mum and I did a craft fair with hand made goods a few years ago but to be honest you don't make that much money once you've paid for the stall. We did hand out a few business cards though and we have a couple of online shops so we still make a bit of pocket money. Making money from hand made cards is a ship that has long sailed unfortunately and I wouldn't advise listening to the sales people or parting with too much cash.

CC

My granddaughter loves creating with my stash, spent a fortune way back and pleased she is enjoying using it all. She particularly loves the Sizzix embosser. Lucky there is an independent craft shop a half hour drive away, she was let loose in there as a treat and it was interesting watching her choices, she is 5. Always liked Anna Griffin on Q, glad she’s back.

Didn't Alan and Barry have their own channel and then get into difficulties with customers' orders?

CC

Funny how they were around at about the same time as the overweight Hairy Bikers, and the Two Fat Lady cooks !!! Clearly there was a market for obese duos on the tele.

Latest posts

Back