What Internet Security System is Best

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Catkins

Registered Shopper
Our McAfee internet security is up in January and we'd like to change it as it's been driving us round the bend. Every time it scans or does security updates the computer goes soooo slow that to use it is impossible without wanting to throw it out of the window!!

Anyone got any recommendations before I lose what's left of my sanity?? :headbang:

Thanks in advance.

For the last few years I've used Kaspersky and found it to be far better than ones I've used in the past. Having said that though, on the new laptop I'm currently using for this post I've got McAfee and I've not noticed any difference in the speed. It boots up like a rocket. My netbook and desktop are still protected by Kaspersky.

The only other one I've had experience with (apart from the free AVG and Avast that I used while I made my mind up) was Norton and all I can say is 'never again' because that one did cause my computer to be outpaced by a snail.

Oh yes avoid Norton, all it is good for is corrupting computers!!

Antivirus I used to use AVG Free but changed recently to Avast as the latest version of AVG caused problems on all our computers. Firewall wise I use Commodo and never had a problem with that!

I use McAfee as BT provide it for a small monthly fee. I also use Malware Bites which was the only thing that cleared one of those Pop Up thingies when I first had my own broadband set up after Norton's licence lapsed back after I threw "X" out. I agree about McAfee causing machines to grind to a virtual halt during its various activities.

we have Kaspersky which was put on by the firm who built our computer and it has been very good we will renew it next time with the same again

Norton are regarded as back in favour on the tech forums I go on but that is after years of bloatware.

IMHO Kaspersky if you are paying are hard to beat (I got it and there are great features like the virtual keyboard do key loggers can't see your password.

For free and not taking up to much memory Microsoft's own MSE takes some beating.

PJ.

ETA don't just renew your current option it is more often than not cheaper to get a copy of the disc from Amazon. Crazy but they rely on people not checking.

If you have a years subscription and a new version comes out in the middle of your sub, don't buy the disc, log into your account online and you can download the new version for free.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

Last edited:
Another vote for Avast from me. I've been using it for years and it's never let me down. [Famous last words ...!]

It just burbles away in the background and the only time you're aware of it is when it updates itself about once a day. That is, unless it spies something nasty coming your way and it goes into full-on, siren-sounding, red-flashy-thing alert mode, which is a touch disconcerting the first time it happens.

Everyone has different experiences of course - years ago Norton was a pain, haven't touched it since. I've tried all the free ones going, and had problems with most then did free trials of others..I'm using Vipre (AV and firewall) currently, have had that for a while now, cost me £27 odds on Black Friday to buy another year for 2-10 licences..as well as my desktop we have three laptops in the house plus I put in on my Dad's (don't tell, don't think I'm supposed to as he doesn't live here!) - it's ok for me, no problems (yet!). Also run SuperAntiSpyware and AntiMalwareBytes on alternate days and run online scans with Eset and Trend Micro - as you see, I'm a bit paranoid about being infected!

Microsoft Security Essentials. Free and recommended by my company IT dept. Been using it for about 3 years without incident, which is more than I can say for Norton!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I run SuperAntiSpyware too, worth noting that you should set that to passive mode as in only scan when you ask it to else it will convict with your active anti virus :)

PJ

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. We had Norton before McAfee and it was a nightmare so all in all not had much luck with the whole Internet Security thing!!

You lovely lot have certainly given me some stuff to look into.

I may be gone for some time!!

Microsoft Security Essentials. Free and recommended by my company IT dept. Been using it for about 3 years without incident, which is more than I can say for Norton!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

This ^^^^^

Have used it since the beta and its excellent and lightweight!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Back