What is the point of shopping telly?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The answer to your question is this forum. One person starts a thread about something to do with one of the channels & before the posts have got into double figures it's morphed into something far more interesting, usually very helpful & often extremely supportive. This place is life's university, thank you QVC & the others too awful to mention.

That’s right! It’s worth it for the laughter it provides . I mean JR with that palm dress and her cowboy boots. Priceless! For those of you who remember it has made me laugh more than the Butler and Wilson one eyed croc bag. Anyone remember that? It was a Long time ago but there was a hilarious thread at the time.

I would love to put them into a real life selling situation (shop) for a week to see how they get on.
Freebies = out of date bacon
Footwear = if not a uniform then the most comfortable ones you can get and certainly not sparkly/white boots
Clothes = if not uniform a fleece to stop that wind blowing through automatic doors opening and closing continuously
Holidays = 2 weeks to be taken when your rota says so and if that means a wet week in Skegness so be it.
Boss = an actual person on your back all day not a group of airheads who let you run the place like you own it

And worst of all the customer = someone who expects you to do your job not listen to your wonderful family/holiday/this week’s freebie
I would like to add face to face upselling which the staff don't want to do, the customer doesn't want to hear but it's mandatory with targets that must be achieved on a regular basis, or face warnings and eventually dismissal.

Clearing up the poo that a kid had in the art section.

Clearing up 500mls of Gesso that a customer dropped that covered about £300 worth of stock.

Chasing a gang of teenagers down the street because they had nicked a teddy, I was furious and saw red...I got it back though.

And sooo much more.

I would like to add face to face upselling which the staff don't want to do, the customer doesn't want to hear but it's mandatory with targets that must be achieved on a regular basis, or face warnings and eventually dismissal.
This is a serious bugbear of mine. I loathe the fact that people who work on tills etc, that just want a job to earn a wage are “forced” into upselling.
It should be made illegal.
If someone wants to be a salesman then, they’ll choose that route.

This is a serious bugbear of mine. I loathe the fact that people who work on tills etc, that just want a job to earn a wage are “forced” into upselling.
It should be made illegal.
If someone wants to be a salesman then, they’ll choose that route.
I happen to be good at it, probably because I don't give a toss, and I've been sent to try and help staff who struggle.

In my company we are expected to upsell to 1 in 4 customers and in November and December it's 1 in 2.

I've had grown men and women in tears because they really need the job but are on final a final warning.

But while upselling adds thousands of pounds to the income of companies every week it wont stop any time soon.

I always find Superdrug the worse for trying to upselling. I have the urge to say straight away no I do not want X Y or Z. But it is their job, so I just switch off until they finish and say no thanks.

I wonder do men also get it?

I know QVC started doing it if you happen to get the live order line. They never used to do it, IW always did going back years.

I haven't ordered from Gems in years, but they never did it. But now they seem to sell more candles, handbags, scarves and makeup than makeup perhaps they do?

I agree Strato. I'm in the market for a new electric toothbrush, and balk at the space age prices that these space age toothbrushes cost. I might live alone, but I like to have 2 brushes - one on charge and one to use. (I don't have a p/point in the bathroom, so they're on-charge in the bedroom).

I digress, this morning I watched as there was an offer of £99 for 2 Silk N whatever sonic brushes. Yes, there was plenty of waffle about how to brush your teeth, but I was more interested in the charging base. This was never commented on. Was it a wi-fi standalone, or a plug in job. Who knows ? They're all getting like Lee Holbein, all waffle and hot air, without actually telling you anything.
I have these & very happy with them.

£10 worth of Boots points too on selected purchases over £60 until 22nd I believe, online only.

I remember the QVC selection hours when you never knew what you were going to get and you’d see what ever they were touting used, measured and fully reported on. Didn‘t get clap trap, look at me, inane drivel talk over the expert twaddle you have to put up with now! I don’t watch anymore but do look at the online clips of anything that interests me, more often than not I’m still non the wiser after watching 😂
So true!

I always find Superdrug the worse for trying to upselling. I have the urge to say straight away no I do not want X Y or Z. But it is their job, so I just switch off until they finish and say no thanks.

I wonder do men also get it?

I know QVC started doing it if you happen to get the live order line. They never used to do it, IW always did going back years.

I haven't ordered from Gems in years, but they never did it. But now they seem to sell more candles, handbags, scarves and makeup than makeup perhaps they do?
Men get upsold to in my store, one of my colleagues has a very lovely way with her and targets the men, and she almost always makes an upsale.

I usually get the grumpy old women, my colleagues think I have something in common with them 😁

I've just watched this item, a solar umbrella..

The presenters just sat under it, and said you can turn the handle to move it up and down, you can tilt it, you can control the lights, and it has a solar panel on top.

I was waiting for the demo of cranking it up and down, a demo to show how low it will go, a demo of how to fold it down into the closed position (and re-open it), a demo of how you tilt it, a demo of the control to change the lights, and a demo of what the solar panel looked like.

NILCH !

And the photos on the website were useless and told you nothing either.

But for all the NON-information the costly TV transmission gave you, they needn't have bothered.

Surely the whole point of selly-telly is to DEMONSTRATE items, otherwise they could have just shown a still photo for 5 minutes and saved the cost of 2 presenters.

Utterly pointless waste of 5 minutes - - - what a shambles!

Aye, but what about all the insects it attracts. Wouldn’t have it!

Mr. AE called me a weirdo for buying two toothbrushes!

The Oral B website has a table of their toothbrushes showing which brush does what. I went for the one with the 'best' brushing features but didn't go for the ones with the fancy extras. It kept the price down. I then looked for that brush on offer and bought it at a considerable discount during the Black Friday week. You can get knock-off heads that fit but I'm a bit dubious about those.

My other brush is a Philips that I bought quite cheaply with the same technique.

They're both a completely different action so I feel my teeth are getting the best of both worlds.

I keep a pack of brush heads in my Amazon basket (along with anything else I'm looking at) and check in whenever I'm online. The prices change almost hourly on some days but I also use Camelcamelcamel and buy whenever they get to a low price.

Whenever I see a new toothbrush being introduced at £stupid I :rolleyes: as it always goes on sale a month later at half the price. I just wonder at people who rush out and pay £2-300 for a brush that's in the shops a few months later for under £100. Especially when they use the SAME heads!

Sorry for the one-upmanship, but I have 4!

3 on charge, and one in use.

But I am not bragging, it's because I've had them so long that they don't hold their charge for long.

BTW I did buy one from QVC a long time ago, the shaft snapped in half!

Out of curiosity, do you ever drain them completely? I got into the habit of doing that every 6 months or so and have had pretty good battery life out of them. I've had 5 electric toothbrushes since 2000, 4 are still in rotation as they use different heads and make me feel like I'm covering all bases with my cleaning.

My older brushes are downstairs so I can have a quick brush during the day after food (leave 30 minutes after eating/drinking according to my dentist).

Out of curiosity, do you ever drain them completely? I got into the habit of doing that every 6 months or so and have had pretty good battery life out of them. I've had 5 electric toothbrushes since 2000, 4 are still in rotation as they use different heads and make me feel like I'm covering all bases with my cleaning.

My older brushes are downstairs so I can have a quick brush during the day after food (leave 30 minutes after eating/drinking according to my dentist).
Yes, they drain themselves and often stop mid-clean!

After food, I have a good rinse with bicarb, which neutralises food acids, before cleaning (1.2 teaspoon to a mug). After cleaning I rinse with salty water for the gums, 1 tsp per mug.

Yes, they drain themselves and often stop mid-clean!

After food, I have a good rinse with bicarb, which neutralises food acids, before cleaning (1.2 teaspoon to a mug). After cleaning I rinse with salty water for the gums, 1 tsp per mug.

I'm using my beloved Dew as a daily preventative post-rinse. I used to drink bicarb for UTIs (doesn't work) and really dislike it. Though I happily dropped some essential oils in the pot for a few days then added it to my bath when I was able. My lovely old GP suggested I did this then (wait for it...) pee in the water so the bicarb gets washed back into the urethra a bit.

I notice some companies using hypochlorous acid as a mouth rinse or skin problem solver (yes, Clinisept, I'm looking at you) are charging an awful lot of money for their products. Leucillin. which is the pet version, is another. Though I must admit it's thanks to my vet's recommendation of Leucillin for my dog that I found Dew in the first place.

You wouldn't have heard anything useful anyway as it’s K Taylor presenting - who by the way is sporting some tan for someone who has been in hibernation due to illness.

More free tanning products as surely it’s not from a holiday!

Isn't there a tanning TSV on the cards? That one with raspberry oil in. I don't know how to spell it correctly and the will to look up isn't there. I should be buying something as I'm fed up of the pale blue to "is she alive" I usually support.

Latest posts

Back