When you send parcels back....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I may be wrong about this, but I thought I heard on the radio that Royal Mail were reducing the £46 to a lower figure. Can anyone confirm this?

I'll ask next time I'm in the PO, it's a strange move as the level of cover has increased gradually from £28 to £46 over recent years.

Fellow ebayers will know how difficult it is to claim against RM for lost parcels, particularly where an auction has finished welll above the rrp for a discontinued item. RM would dispute the "value" of such an item. Also there are unscrupulous buyers who target listings without recorded delivery (or other tracking) because if they claim it's undelivered ebay & paypal will automatically find in their favour. Personally I've only had one item genuinely go astray in 4000+ transactions, and that was eventually returned to me by RM about 2 months later. I think there's always an element of human error or dishonesty behind any delivery failure.

Jude xx

I always use second class post and just keep the receipt as proof of posting. A few things have gone missing but I have been refunded without any problem as long as I send them a photocopy of the postage receipt.

I never had anything go missing in the mail until this christmas when a whole batch of cards I sent went missing! I was furious as it cost a fortune to post them this year,, I only found out because I noticed our card missing from my mum in laws collection and after asking around, it seems a few people didnt get theirs.

They ask for proof of postage in case it goes missing however if you send it in it doesnt get checked with Royal Mail or anything they just accept the loss. By sending it in they want to see youre willing to proove that you HAD sent it back but they dont make any checks

I may be wrong about this, but I thought I heard on the radio that Royal Mail were reducing the £46 to a lower figure. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes this is being considered reduction from £46 to £20 for standard 1st and 2nd Class

http://money.uk.msn.com/lost-letter-compensation-reduced

It is now confirmed that the compensation for ordinary 1st and 2nd class is dropping to £20, signed for is increasing to £50

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/RoyalMail_OurPrices_April2013.pdf

Both recorded, and special delivery are signed for, and trackable, online. Recorded is not guaranteed next day delivery, but special delivery is, but you pay a much higher price for this. Hope this is of a bit of help to someone :wave:

Both recorded, and special delivery are signed for, and trackable, online. Recorded is not guaranteed next day delivery, but special delivery is, but you pay a much higher price for this. Hope this is of a bit of help to someone :wave:
I think recorded only covers you for £46 whilst special delivery covers you up to £400. I wanted to send back a bag that was worth £90 and the man behind the counter told me that I had to send it special delivery as I was not allowed to under insure it.

I think recorded only covers you for £46 whilst special delivery covers you up to £400. I wanted to send back a bag that was worth £90 and the man behind the counter told me that I had to send it special delivery as I was not allowed to under insure it.

You're right ILS. So many people think recorded or Signed for as it is now branded, covers for things. It doesn't. Only for £46 currently as you say, (altho' that looks like it will change by Sazza's post), it's really just a signature you're paying for. Special Delivery cover automatically starts from £500, (or the value of your package if less), so long as the value of the contents are stated when you buy the service. It's only for the actual value of the item, so legal papers are only covered for the value of the paper, not the consequential loss if they don't arrive, unless you pay for additional consequential loss cover. SD also can cover for more than £500 per package for small incramental fees depending on the actual value of the package.

Sorry for the infocommercial, you'd never know I worked for RM customer services many moons ago would you lol. I just hate hear about people who are devastated because they thought signed for/Recorded delivery covered them & then realise it doesn't if it doesn't arrive. Thankfully that's a rarity but if sending back LG expensive bags for example, then Special Delivery is the option to use for peace of mind.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back