Where is all this jade coming from?!?!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mozambique is also a very bad country to source gemstones from.

Although Gemporia have always spoken proudly about ethics and charity work, giving the impression that they only dealt with the good side of the industry, they always did turn a blind eye to a lot of questionable ethics.

Gemporia have always made it clear that they have only ever bought conflict-free Diamonds - but, as far as I am aware, they have never intentionally said where they obtain their Rubies from.

However, presenters have occasionally let slip that a lot of Rubies (and, Zambian Emeralds I believe), that Gemporia sell are obtained from Gemfields (owned by Fabergé).

If any of you follow Yianni Melas on Instagram, you will know that he's very vocal about exposing companies, politicians and people in the gem industry that that are known for VERY murky ethics, morals and / or corruption. He's exposed corrupt politicians, he's exposed huge mining companies for the torture, rape and killing of artisanal miners, he's exposed individuals in the industry that have associations with corrupt politicians, etc.

Yianni refers to one of the mining companies that he regularly exposes as 'Bloodfields'. Guess what mining company he's referring to? Guess which mining company Gemporia presenters have mentioned that they get some of their gemstones from?

He doesn't just give an opinion because he has an axe to grind with them or anything like that - he backs it up with evidence that what he's saying is correct beyond doubt.

Hence why Yianni NEVER discloses where he is in the world when he's on his latest gem sourcing trip. He only discloses where he has been AFTER he's left the country he was in. He knows he has people after him that would kill him if they knew where he was.

If Gemporia were all for good ethics and morals, they wouldn't have been selling cakes and sweets on Lifestyle. The 'Primal' bunch (Nick, Poppy, Annie and Steve himself) were all for telling us how bad cakes, sweets and anything sugary were bad for us and why we shouldn't eat them. Steve has recently set up another business about health / fitness, and he himself says that he wants to help people reverse Diabetes (Type 1?) - yet here's Gemporia happily flogging cakes and sweets when there's money to be made from it.

Oi, Cathy in Cambridge, cakes and sweets are bad for you and you shouldn't eat them, fatty - unless there's money to be made, in which case, multi-buy, Cathy!!
Wow, I didn't know that about Yianni. Top bloke. Why does he have much to do with Gemporia if they don't care where they buy from though?

Wow, I didn't know that about Yianni. Top bloke. Why does he have much to do with Gemporia if they don't care where they buy from though?

Yianni has frequently spoken about 'how much he owes Steve' when he's been on TV because it sounds as though Yianni went through some tough times years ago - but Steve helped him out.

Yianni probably doesn't know all the in's and out's of Gemporia's day-to-day workings either. Yianni pops over for a few days a year and then he goes back to going around the world to find new gems. I imagine he doesn't get to see and hear everything like we do.

I suspect he only gets to know what he's told and what he gets to see in the small timeframe he's here.

Yianni seems a very fascinating guy and seems a genuinely nice, caring bloke. He loves helping artisanal miners that struggle to make a living, and he often tries to help out poor countries too. I also remember around 2-3 years ago, a lady messaging in when Yianni was on-air. She said that she was having treatment for Cancer, and Yianni's sense of humour had cheered her up plus she loved Aquaprase.

Yianni was holding a big piece of rough Aquaprase material in his hand - and he said he was sorry to hear about her Cancer, and then he said he was going to send her the piece of rough that he was holding in his hand. I thought that was a very nice gesture from Yianni.

I've seen people mocking Yianni on Facebook, etc for his appearance because they think that the clothing he wears is an act for the camera, trying to look like a miner or 'Crocodile Dundee' as some call him - but that is literally Yianni, it's not a character. That is how he dresses and he's being his natural self because he's exactly the same on Instagram in a 'normal' environment.

Yianni has frequently spoken about 'how much he owes Steve' when he's been on TV because it sounds as though Yianni went through some tough times years ago - but Steve helped him out.

Yianni probably doesn't know all the in's and out's of Gemporia's day-to-day workings either. Yianni pops over for a few days a year and then he goes back to going around the world to find new gems. I imagine he doesn't get to see and hear everything like we do.

I suspect he only gets to know what he's told and what he gets to see in the small timeframe he's here.

Yianni seems a very fascinating guy and seems a genuinely nice, caring bloke. He loves helping artisanal miners that struggle to make a living, and he often tries to help out poor countries too. I also remember around 2-3 years ago, a lady messaging in when Yianni was on-air. She said that she was having treatment for Cancer, and Yianni's sense of humour had cheered her up plus she loved Aquaprase.

Yianni was holding a big piece of rough Aquaprase material in his hand - and he said he was sorry to hear about her Cancer, and then he said he was going to send her the piece of rough that he was holding in his hand. I thought that was a very nice gesture from Yianni.

I've seen people mocking Yianni on Facebook, etc for his appearance because they think that the clothing he wears is an act for the camera, trying to look like a miner or 'Crocodile Dundee' as some call him - but that is literally Yianni, it's not a character. That is how he dresses and he's being his natural self because he's exactly the same on Instagram in a 'normal' environment.
Thank you for sharing the story of Yianni gifting Aquaprase to that lady 👍💓. Lovely gesture that speaks louder than any social media nonsense judging him on appearance or dress style. I feel that both are congruent to his passions and lifestyle, go Yianni💓!

Steve Bennet decided to gift Csarite to Camilla, arguably not a person who can‘t easily afford to buy it herself and currently Adina is on air gushing about the handwritten response from her! Whilst it’s all lovely, would it not be more lovely if he considered to gift it to a regular mortal?

Steve Bennet decided to gift Csarite to Camilla, arguably not a person who can‘t easily afford to buy it herself and currently Adina is on air gushing about the handwritten response from her! Whilst it’s all lovely, would it not be more lovely if he considered to gift it to a regular mortal?
Maybe Steve's angling to get Gemporia a "By Royal Appointment To..." crest thing?

And call me cynical, but I can't help but feel that giving the new Queen Consort jewels she doesn't need (and are possibly pretty inferior to any owned by her husband or the nation) generates far more potential publicity than bestowing some of Dave Troth's neverending jade on poor Doris in Hartlepool ever would.

😂🤣 Can’t imagine Dave ever giving any of his ”precious“ to anyone for free, he looks as if he is permanently Po Faced at the fact that he bestowing “pearls before swine” treasures 😅.

As for Steve, it looks as shameless act for self promotion, nothing wrong with it, many established companies do it….the bit that grates on me personally is that it’s not exactly in line with the altruistic way Steve portrays himself, with Gemporia at least “ he is down with the people, saving the NHS and allowing us to own the unobtainable”!!! So if he feels the generosity to give something beautiful and precious away as a gift and then instruct the presenters to gush about it on air, then please give it to lovely Doris in Hartlepool 😄!
That would speak louder than any “friend in your living room, welcome to the family, making friends” malarkey and be something meaningful I would take my hat off as I do for Yianni‘s lovely gesture 😀

Last edited:
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that. I think that was around 6 or 7 years ago now?

It's a shame Steve didn't wait until now - he could have gifted her some of Dave Troth's uber-rare Jadeite instead.

Maybe Steve's angling to get Gemporia a "By Royal Appointment To..." crest thing?

If Gemporia don't sort the current shambles out, I wouldn't be too surprised to read "Administrators Appointed" in the near future.

Last edited:
If Gemporia don't sort the current shambles out, I wouldn't be too surprised to read "Administrators Appointed" in the near future.
Well, from the steps (not) taken so far I'm not certain that the will is there. Especially from Steve.

As others have eruditely said, the problems in Gemporia are far-reaching. Rather like Dave Troth's jade and his joyless lectures. But there's nothing changing for the better. Despite Steve's initial appearance after Gemporia's very own Night of the Long Knives, where he promised much change and statements about "Listening to the viewers", what exactly has changed?

The company is limping along, with the remaining presenters getting even more manic, and the buyers (apologies, "special guests") seemingly superglued to the floor in front of the camera and waffling on and on and on as the jewellery gets tattier while the prices get inexplicably higher.

It's feeling like the months leading up to the Bid.tv channels imploding. It's even making Ideal World feel stable in comparison. Which isn't a sentence I ever thought was possible to say, never mind type.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that. I think that was around 6 or 7 years ago now?

It's a shame Steve didn't wait until now - he could have gifted her some of Dave Troth's uber-rare Jadeite instead.

He still can ….just saying 😅😂
Well, from the steps (not) taken so far I'm not certain that the will is there. Especially from Steve.

As others have eruditely said, the problems in Gemporia are far-reaching. Rather like Dave Troth's jade and his joyless lectures. But there's nothing changing for the better. Despite Steve's initial appearance after Gemporia's very own Night of the Long Knives, where he promised much change and statements about "Listening to the viewers", what exactly has changed?

The company is limping along, with the remaining presenters getting even more manic, and the buyers (apologies, "special guests") seemingly superglued to the floor in front of the camera and waffling on and on and on as the jewellery gets tattier while the prices get inexplicably higher.

It's feeling like the months leading up to the Bid.tv channels imploding. It's even making Ideal World feel stable in comparison. Which isn't a sentence I ever thought was possible to say, never mind type.
Could not agree more, it is very sad and yet very true. We had Cavill&Co beautiful albeit expensive creations that appeared to only underline the ridiculous gold weight and gem sI’ve in what is served by the channe. Toby had some beautiful designs for the Lookbook that were all set in Midas. Such a shame!

As for weirdness overtaking the presenters, suffering with shift work induced insomnia I accidentally caught the prerecorded show last night with Angeline and her “gold wheel” which was a shock to the system, hers and mine apparently 😅.

I am not a fan of her usual stern foghorn voiced presenting, but it is authentic Angeline - paced, relatively informative, void of windmill arm waving and screeching…until last night! It was stressful and uncomfortable to watch Angeline to do the silly voices, run around, forgetting to breathe, giggling and pantomime like acting, what was that? I couldn’t even take advantage of low prices. So weird and alarming to overall experience.

I'd rather watch Peter Simon and Del Boy Mason than Hattie and Jess Foley.

That's how bad the Gemporia presenter line up has got.

He still can ….just saying 😅😂

Could not agree more, it is very sad and yet very true. We had Cavill&Co beautiful albeit expensive creations that appeared to only underline the ridiculous gold weight and gem sI’ve in what is served by the channe. Toby had some beautiful designs for the Lookbook that were all set in Midas. Such a shame!

As for weirdness overtaking the presenters, suffering with shift work induced insomnia I accidentally caught the prerecorded show last night with Angeline and her “gold wheel” which was a shock to the system, hers and mine apparently 😅.

I am not a fan of her usual stern foghorn voiced presenting, but it is authentic Angeline - paced, relatively informative, void of windmill arm waving and screeching…until last night! It was stressful and uncomfortable to watch Angeline to do the silly voices, run around, forgetting to breathe, giggling and pantomime like acting, what was that? I couldn’t even take advantage of low prices. So weird and alarming to overall experience.
People may accuse the QVC presenters of being staid, set in their ways, and boring. Which some are. But the best of them are calm, and give you relevant information without making outlandish promises about the goods currently on air.

That's what you need from a shopping telly presenter. More so if you're considering making a considered purchase. The current drive to push people into buying lots and lots of tat is just off-putting to me.

I am pretty sure that sales staff in Tiffany's, Harry Winston or Boodles don't attempt to rush their customers into buying. Or even scream at them to "Buy multiples! Buy more! Fill your boots!", Something I caught the always refined Angeline screeching one lunchtime. Which makes Gemporia's constant attempts to make viewers see them in the same vein as those exalted purveyors of jewelled luxury more than hilarious.

Gemporia is currently being run like a market stall, with boring lectures thrown in from people who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the viewers.

I'd rather watch Peter Simon and Del Boy Mason than Hattie and Jess Foley.

That's how bad the Gemporia presenter line up has got.
I am not sure that I can go THAT far. They all make me switch channels as soon as they appear on screen.

I think it says a lot about both companies that these are the types of people they choose to represent their brands.

No doubt that they all get lots of sales, however dubiously. I wonder what the returns rate is on the goods they shill to unsuspecting viewers?

People may accuse the QVC presenters of being staid, set in their ways, and boring. Which some are. But the best of them are calm, and give you relevant information without making outlandish promises about the goods currently on air.

That's what you need from a shopping telly presenter. More so if you're considering making a considered purchase. The current drive to push people into buying lots and lots of tat is just off-putting to me.

I am pretty sure that sales staff in Tiffany's, Harry Winston or Boodles don't attempt to rush their customers into buying. Or even scream at them to "Buy multiples! Buy more! Fill your boots!", Something I caught the always refined Angeline screeching one lunchtime. Which makes Gemporia's constant attempts to make viewers see them in the same vein as those exalted purveyors of jewelled luxury more than hilarious.

Gemporia is currently being run like a market stall, with boring lectures thrown in from people who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the viewers.
I can remember Angeline’s ‘Sling it in your Basket’ show. Appalling. And, according to Angeline, people loved it so much, she had to do it again the next day. How exactly do we know any of these shows are better or worse price wise, whatever they call them?

Gemporia is on for nearly another 10 hours today and Dave Troth is on for 6 of them, what are they doing to us??!
Holy moly macaroni ...no respite .... yawn..! Dave keeps suggesting that we are now getting to the end of what is available .. if only! Even if this is true as opposed to selling technique, there is no comfort to be had as it looks like a container load of type C is coming soon to a screen near you. To add insult to injury I think I heard mention a so called expert is coming over from China for more 'insight' aka lectures. Gives new meaning to Chinese torture ! 🙄

Just quickly switched on hoping Dave has finished his slot, but he is still in full flow. In such a short time the number of people messaging in to thank Dave for the pieces they have bought for family legacy leaves me very uncomfortable. Dave says he loves making people happy .. customer satisfaction is crucial of course .. but no business can survive commercially without selling at a profit. I don't like to see people being taken in, but to be honest, it is just common sense. It's like Gemporia is able to cast some sort of spell over it seems an awful lot of people. They are asking their customers to believe they are running some sort of not for profit organisation. Some transparency please!!

Just quickly switched on hoping Dave has finished his slot, but he is still in full flow. In such a short time the number of people messaging in to thank Dave for the pieces they have bought for family legacy leaves me very uncomfortable. Dave says he loves making people happy .. customer satisfaction is crucial of course .. but no business can survive commercially without selling at a profit. I don't like to see people being taken in, but to be honest, it is just common sense. It's like Gemporia is able to cast some sort of spell over it seems an awful lot of people. They are asking their customers to believe they are running some sort of not for profit organisation. Some transparency please!!
Hmmm. I have the Android Gemporia app which shows other people's messages in to the show (obviously only those via the app)

There have been two messages during show so where are these other messages coming from?

Holy moly macaroni ...no respite .... yawn..! Dave keeps suggesting that we are now getting to the end of what is available .. if only!
They've been saying this for ages now.

They also said the same with 'Nilamani' and Canadian / Aussie Diamonds.

All of which continued to appear regularly afterwards.

Hmmm. I have the Android Gemporia app which shows other people's messages in to the show (obviously only those via the app)

There have been two messages during show so where are these other messages coming from?
That's a good point. I don't have great faith in the authenticity of sending message to studio option as I know from experience any messages perceived as vaguely negative, even if a reasonable question, are not shown. There also seem to be a number of contributors who comment regularly with super positive comments. I only tune in now and again yet is seems they are there frequently which is a bit odd, but perhaps there are customers who watch every show?

Dave has just answered the thread's question, but it was done quickly and emotionlessly.

The jade was bought over the last couple of years, from the COVID outbreak onward, I assume. He says that it is from Chinese sellers, and Myanmar. Not "Myanmar jade sold to outside sellers years before the human rights atrocities and the subsequent international sanctions".

If this is true, it explains why there's so much jade flooding the channel, and how Gemporia got it so cheaply. I guess Gemporia can't afford their vaunted ethics any more.

Latest posts

Back