Who has had Gemporia jewellery valued

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

RedPhoenix

Registered Shopper
I've just bought a 18k gold 1ct SI-1 G-H Diamond ring which Gemporia had valued at £6245.00.
I received today but weirdly I cannot see a hallmark (but I am blind as a bat). Where do they (Gemporia) normally put the hallmark
Has anyone ever had a piece of Gemporia jewellery valued or inspected by an independent jeweller?????

I've just bought a 18k gold 1ct SI-1 G-H Diamond ring which Gemporia had valued at £6245.00.
I received today but weirdly I cannot see a hallmark (but I am blind as a bat). Where do they (Gemporia) normally put the hallmark
Has anyone ever had a piece of Gemporia jewellery valued or inspected by an independent jeweller?????

If the band is less than 1 gram of gold, then it doesn't need to be hallmarked.

Another reason why some of Gemporia's gold bands are like cheesewire - because then they can save money by not having to send it to the Assay office to be hallmarked.

I took a number of pieces to be valued once, for insurance purposes - one a 18k Paraiba ring. The jeweller I took them to said they have a valuer come in once a week (from the same company Gemporia claim they send 100 pieces a week to be valued at). I went back a week later and was told that the valuer said 'save your money they're only worth what you paid for them'.

I was a little disappointed to say the least so I emailed Gemporia and told them. They said they couldn't understand them not wanting to value an 18k ring and told me to send them direct to their independent valuer, when I said that's who told me to save my money I never heard any more from them. It was at that point I stopped spending real money on their jewellery (now I barely spend any money on their jewellery).

To be fair to Gemporia, one of the rings was an 18k Santa Rosa tourmaline which I bought from Rocks & Co back in the day. When the jeweller looked at it they asked where I'd had it re-sized. I said it hadn't been re-sized. Are you sure? Def sure. Those days Rocks & Co only did the one size which happened to be my size so it def had not been re-sized. So it looks like their workmanship wasn't up to standard either.

I took a number of pieces to be valued once, for insurance purposes - one a 18k Paraiba ring. The jeweller I took them to said they have a valuer come in once a week (from the same company Gemporia claim they send 100 pieces a week to be valued at). I went back a week later and was told that the valuer said 'save your money they're only worth what you paid for them'.

I was a little disappointed to say the least so I emailed Gemporia and told them. They said they couldn't understand them not wanting to value an 18k ring and told me to send them direct to their independent valuer, when I said that's who told me to save my money I never heard any more from them. It was at that point I stopped spending real money on their jewellery (now I barely spend any money on their jewellery).

To be fair to Gemporia, one of the rings was an 18k Santa Rosa tourmaline which I bought from Rocks & Co back in the day. When the jeweller looked at it they asked where I'd had it re-sized. I said it hadn't been re-sized. Are you sure? Def sure. Those days Rocks & Co only did the one size which happened to be my size so it def had not been re-sized. So it looks like their workmanship wasn't up to standard
Has anyone ever had a piece of Gemporia jewellery valued or inspected by an independent jeweller????
When I started buying from them I brought a diamond item to be valued. He valued it at somewhat more than I paid. Maybe 10-20%. Certainly nothing like they claim. This was a number of years ago. As the standard has gone down so much I reckon it’d be a good idea to do it again if I get an expensive item. On the other hand I had a rhapsody tanzanite ring from TJC. valued at FAR MORE than I paid. Can’t remember amount but enough to make me very pleased .

To be fair to Gemporia, one of the rings was an 18k Santa Rosa tourmaline which I bought from Rocks & Co back in the day. When the jeweller looked at it they asked where I'd had it re-sized. I said it hadn't been re-sized. Are you sure? Def sure. Those days Rocks & Co only did the one size which happened to be my size so it def had not been re-sized. So it looks like their workmanship wasn't up to standard either.

That's very useful to know, thanks Leslie. I've often wondered what people's actual.valuation experiences are for jewellery & gemstones bought from shopping TV. Especially for expensive purchases.

I've had very little valued. Mainly because.years ago, when I got a little bit caught up in the "buy gemstone jewellery for future investment" frenzy, I was fairly broke & had my first mortgage etc. Probably just as well lol.

I’ve never had anything I’ve bought from Gemporia valued, but I have had a couple of pieces from TJC valued and was pleasantly surprised. One was a NY Closeout ring, rose gold Victorian design in diamonds, paid £379 and it was valued at around £1400. A pair of Iliana earrings and matching pendant that were bought for around £800 valued at £2000. We also must remember that these are replacement valuations, not resale. None of the shopping channels point out the difference.

You have to be careful with valuations because there are different types. Unless you specify otherwise, the 'default' valuation will be an 'insurance valuation'.

An 'insurance valuation' will ALWAYS be more than the price you paid because it is based on replacing it with a like-for-like replacement in the event it should get lost or stolen. The price would obviously therefore be higher because a 'one-off' stone would have to be sourced (not 'bulk bought'), the item of jewellery would need to be replicated like-for-like as a one-off by a skilled silversmith/goldsmith, which would obviously come at a greater cost than a 'mass produced' design. They'd also need to factor in future inflation, whether an alternative stone is available on the market, etc.

This is EXACTLY why Gemporia tell people to get jewellery valuations, because they know full well that an insurance valuation will come in higher than at item is worth.

'Value / Valuation' does not mean 'Worth'.

Then there is a 'second-hand' valuation. This will give you a valuation of obtaining a similar ring from an auction or similar in the event that yours was lost or stolen. This is usually for designs where the stones are fairly common (for example, a Quartz cabochon), in a common shape (for example, round), in a common size (for example, 6mm round), in a fairly 'plain' setting with no fancy design work. This would usually be for an item of jewellery that you like - but aren't too particular about it being an identical replacement to your original item.

Then there are 'private sale' valuations. This is an assessment of value between trade price and retail price – usually a value that benefits the buyer and the seller, i.e. that seller benefits from realising a price above trade and the buyer pays a price below ‘retail’.

Then there are 'probate' valuations. This would apply to someone, for example, that has found a drawer of jewellery at their deceased nan's house and wants to sell it on - but has no idea of what to sell it for. This valuation would give a fair valuation on each items worth so that the family member can sell it on at a fair price - without fear of either over-charging and pricing people out of buying, or selling it too cheaply and potentially losing out on a lot of money.

If you want a valuation on its precise worth, then you'd need to specify as such. This is where you will be left disappointed because, unless the retailer has made a genuine mistake on their pricing, or they've sold it at a loss because they've had it a while and simply want it gone, they'll value its worth at much lower than it was bought for.

If a jeweller genuinely believed their jewellery was worth the retail price that they claim it could be worth, then they'd sell it at that. They're businesses - they exist to make money. Why would any sane person or businesses sell something for significantly less than it is worth (particularly a business that has had, or has, financial difficulties recently) out of the goodness of their heart? It just doesn't make sense.

In reality, your item is going to be worth less than even trade price. If their retail price is, say, £1000, and their trade price to buy it from their supplier or to make it themselves is £600, then they'll realistically offer somewhere around £400-£500.

The only way you'd ever make any money on jewellery is by having something that is GENUINELY rare (not Gemporia 'rare') and no longer obtainable. IF you had something like an original Russian Alexandrite, then there will be genuine demand for that stone and you'll be able to sell it at a reasonable profit.

If Gemporia genuinely believed that their gold tone Nilamani pieces are worth the ludicrous triple / quadruple figure prices they claim they've had them valued at, then they wouldn't be selling them to Tom, Dick and Harry at home for £30.

You have to be careful with valuations because there are different types. Unless you specify otherwise, the 'default' valuation will be an 'insurance valuation'.

An 'insurance valuation' will ALWAYS be more than the price you paid because it is based on replacing it with a like-for-like replacement in the event it should get lost or stolen. The price would obviously therefore be higher because a 'one-off' stone would have to be sourced (not 'bulk bought'), the item of jewellery would need to be replicated like-for-like as a one-off by a skilled silversmith/goldsmith, which would obviously come at a greater cost than a 'mass produced' design. They'd also need to factor in future inflation, whether an alternative stone is available on the market, etc.

This is EXACTLY why Gemporia tell people to get jewellery valuations, because they know full well that an insurance valuation will come in higher than at item is worth.

'Value / Valuation' does not mean 'Worth'.

Then there is a 'second-hand' valuation. This will give you a valuation of obtaining a similar ring from an auction or similar in the event that yours was lost or stolen. This is usually for designs where the stones are fairly common (for example, a Quartz cabochon), in a common shape (for example, round), in a common size (for example, 6mm round), in a fairly 'plain' setting with no fancy design work. This would usually be for an item of jewellery that you like - but aren't too particular about it being an identical replacement to your original item.

Then there are 'private sale' valuations. This is an assessment of value between trade price and retail price – usually a value that benefits the buyer and the seller, i.e. that seller benefits from realising a price above trade and the buyer pays a price below ‘retail’.

Then there are 'probate' valuations. This would apply to someone, for example, that has found a drawer of jewellery at their deceased nan's house and wants to sell it on - but has no idea of what to sell it for. This valuation would give a fair valuation on each items worth so that the family member can sell it on at a fair price - without fear of either over-charging and pricing people out of buying, or selling it too cheaply and potentially losing out on a lot of money.

If you want a valuation on its precise worth, then you'd need to specify as such. This is where you will be left disappointed because, unless the retailer has made a genuine mistake on their pricing, or they've sold it at a loss because they've had it a while and simply want it gone, they'll value its worth at much lower than it was bought for.

If a jeweller genuinely believed their jewellery was worth the retail price that they claim it could be worth, then they'd sell it at that. They're businesses - they exist to make money. Why would any sane person or businesses sell something for significantly less than it is worth (particularly a business that has had, or has, financial difficulties recently) out of the goodness of their heart? It just doesn't make sense.

In reality, your item is going to be worth less than even trade price. If their retail price is, say, £1000, and their trade price to buy it from their supplier or to make it themselves is £600, then they'll realistically offer somewhere around £400-£500.

The only way you'd ever make any money on jewellery is by having something that is GENUINELY rare (not Gemporia 'rare') and no longer obtainable. IF you had something like an original Russian Alexandrite, then there will be genuine demand for that stone and you'll be able to sell it at a reasonable profit.

If Gemporia genuinely believed that their gold tone Nilamani pieces are worth the ludicrous triple / quadruple figure prices they claim they've had them valued at, then they wouldn't be selling them to Tom, Dick and Harry at home for £30.
I know the jeweller who I ask to do valuations.i always ask him did I get it at a reasonable price or as good or better than if I went into town today to get something similar. That’s really what I want to know. If he said it was a rip off I’d return. I’m not intending to sell so the resale value is not really what I’m interested in. I just want to know that I got a fair deal on something that I liked.

I had a couple of items valued by safeguard in person around ten years ago. This was an insurance valuation and she just basically asked me how much I paid for it and used that exact amount which was disappointing. One of them was a Csarite and she did admit that she didn’t have much experience with its market value. I actually feel physically sick whenever I’m reminded of how much money I’ve spent with them and the rubbish that I’ve bought!

I had a couple of items valued by safeguard in person around ten years ago. This was an insurance valuation and she just basically asked me how much I paid for it and used that exact amount which was disappointing. One of them was a Csarite and she did admit that she didn’t have much experience with its market value. I actually feel physically sick whenever I’m reminded of how much money I’ve spent with them and the rubbish that I’ve bought!
Do you not think you are being a little hard on yourself. Going back a few years they did sell a little lower than high street jewellers and had more unusual things so you probably got things that you enjoy cheaper than if you went to town to buy. I’m sure you bought because you liked and not to sell.

Going to demur just on this one. Probate valuations are only really for the tax man (a division of HMRC that used to be called the Capital Taxes Office) in cases where the value of the total estate could trigger inheritance tax. The valuation has to be as at the date of death. They tend to be pretty basic valuations. For houses, a qualified estate agent's written probate valuation would be submitted (could be challenged by the District Valuer). For jewellery, a recognised firm, Phillips Auctioneers, for example, would usually value based on component parts.

Once items have been sold, it's the Personal Administrator's duty to ensure that they tell HMRC if the proceeds exceed the initial probate valuation and pay additional tax and, of course, in cases where tax was payable but the market value realised was less, claim a potential refund.

So, whilst it's a stake in the ground at a fixed date in time, it's no more than an indication and not quite the same as a "fair valuation".

I took a platinum diamond ring to be valued with a local jeweller years ago (business has been there donkey's years, valuer comes in three days a week). It was valued by him at 15%-20% more than I'd paid, but of course this was back in the day when there was actual metal that you could see and feel, not tissue paper. Husband works in insurance, so I know that people can get very excited about insurance valuations, but they are to replace the item retail, doesn't mean to say you will get that money if you sell it secondhand and this is what people forget - the jeweller's got to make a profit, after all. Husband always says basically you get what someone is prepared to pay for it, so Gemporia telling you it's 'legacy' or 'investment' is, as we know, basically cobblers, as was Pete on IW of yesteryear telling us all that the lovely(?) amateurish pieces of art should be insured. Husband nearly fell off his chair laughing at that one, saying 'good luck with that, mate'. They were subsequently seen on Ebay for £5-£6.

so Gemporia telling you it's 'legacy' or 'investment' is, as we know, basically cobblers, as was Pete on IW of yesteryear telling us all that the lovely(?) amateurish pieces of art should be insured. Husband nearly fell off his chair laughing at that one, saying 'good luck with that, mate'. They were subsequently seen on Ebay for £5-£6.
Peter S still does this on IW mk3 with things like the more expensive watches they flog.

You must insure this, right, insure it, a tell it like it is me!

Here's a little tip for everyone re any selly telly channel, take EVERYTHING they tell you with a significant pinch of salt ;)

I was watching one of the other channels last year and they were flogging a small gold ingot. Oh the stories the presenter told, how on earth could they sell at that price let alone buy them in! Someone off camera knew someone who ran a small jewelry store and they couldn't buy them in at that price! Buy now!!!

A quick Google told me other places were selling the same weight and quality ingot for half the price ;)

I recently had a mad couple of weeks and bought 3 diamond rings, due to believing the hype. It was before I'd started reading these forums. I took to them my local independent jeweller, along with a couple of pieces purchased 2 years ago from the Manhattan collection. I asked for verbal appraisals for resale value. The jewellers does on-site valuations, verbal or certified.

First ring - 1.5ct heart diamond in platinum. Centre stone 0.5ct, 1ct cluster around it in 3 rows. £1999 paid. Jeweller not interested in buying it, said hearts wouldn't sell.

Second ring - 0.2ct VSI natural yellow diamond in 9k white gold. Marquise cut stone. £399 paid. Jeweller not interested because it was prong set (just 1 prong at each tip of the stone), not v-prong set. Said it's not a secure setting and they wouldn't sell a piece like that as the stone could easily be lost.

Third ring - 0.5ct trilogy, Princess cut. Centre stone 0.3ct, shoulder stones 0.1ct each. SI grade G-H. Paid £899 I think. Jeweller offered £200, as they'd have to sell it as second hand even though it had got the Gemporia tag on it and was brand new.

All three of these "legacy" rings went straight back.

I've since seen the heart ring on a few wheels and diamond hours, lowest price was £1399. I think the yellow marquise ring came down to £199.

As for my Manhattan diamond pieces, there's a ring and pair of earrings. I asked for an insurance appraisal. The verbal response was the exact price I'd paid for them! Which I was understandably annoyed about, knowing that insurance valuations are inflated above retail values.

Caveat emptor!

I recently had a mad couple of weeks and bought 3 diamond rings, due to believing the hype. It was before I'd started reading these forums. I took to them my local independent jeweller, along with a couple of pieces purchased 2 years ago from the Manhattan collection. I asked for verbal appraisals for resale value. The jewellers does on-site valuations, verbal or certified.

First ring - 1.5ct heart diamond in platinum. Centre stone 0.5ct, 1ct cluster around it in 3 rows. £1999 paid. Jeweller not interested in buying it, said hearts wouldn't sell.

Second ring - 0.2ct VSI natural yellow diamond in 9k white gold. Marquise cut stone. £399 paid. Jeweller not interested because it was prong set (just 1 prong at each tip of the stone), not v-prong set. Said it's not a secure setting and they wouldn't sell a piece like that as the stone could easily be lost.

Third ring - 0.5ct trilogy, Princess cut. Centre stone 0.3ct, shoulder stones 0.1ct each. SI grade G-H. Paid £899 I think. Jeweller offered £200, as they'd have to sell it as second hand even though it had got the Gemporia tag on it and was brand new.

I've since seen the heart ring on a few wheels and diamond hours, lowest price was £1399. I think the yellow marquise ring came down to £199.

As for my Manhattan diamond pieces, there's a ring and pair of earrings. I asked for an insurance appraisal. The verbal response was the exact price I'd paid for them! Which I was understandably annoyed about, knowing that insurance valuations are inflated above retail values.

Caveat emptor!

Gemporia have their faults, but this jeweller is clearly taking the p**s. I'd always be wary of getting valuations from jewellers that sell too because it's in their interests to 'knock your confidence' with a low value, talk the item down, and then make you a low offer while you're deflated.

Valuations need to be done by a company that only values - and doesn't sell. That way, there's no conflict of interest.

With that in mind.

1. Of course hearts will sell. Anything will sell if its at the right price. Unfortunately, £1999 wasn't the right price. Even in platinum, £1999 seems a lot for a cluster. A WELL CUT heart cut stone is actually hard to come buy - so I'd say that, actually, it absolutely would sell if its been well cut and the stone is of decent quality.

2. I agree with the jeweller here. Some of Gemporia's settings are poorly designed. I see some HUGE stones on the channel - with just 4 single prongs holding them in. They should at least be 'double-pronged' or, as you say, V-set to 'trap' the stone in. It only takes a prong to get pulled on a jumper - and then that stone is lost without you realising until its too late.

3. The jeweller offering £199 is just taking the p**s. This is the problem when a jeweller gives a valuation. He's offering scrap or trade price. Its real worth was probably somewhere in the middle.

As for 'legacy' pieces. Gemporia do not sell 'legacy' or 'heirloom' pieces. If they did, they would NOT be offering a paltry 6-month warranty.

If they genuinely believed that their jewellery was able to be passed on for generations, they'd back it up with a long warranty. If the likes of Monica Vinader can offer a 5-year warranty of silver and even gold-plated pieces prices at £70, then Gemporia should certainly be able to offer a 5 year warranty on a £3000 Lorique ring.

They design jewellery that will get through their 6 month warranty period. They do not design jewellery to last. Hence why they use inadequate prongs on so-called 'heirloom pieces that can be handed down for generations'.

Peter S still does this on IW mk3 with things like the more expensive watches they flog.

You must insure this, right, insure it, a tell it like it is me!

Here's a little tip for everyone re any selly telly channel, take EVERYTHING they tell you with a significant pinch of salt ;)

I was watching one of the other channels last year and they were flogging a small gold ingot. Oh the stories the presenter told, how on earth could they sell at that price let alone buy them in! Someone off camera knew someone who ran a small jewelry store and they couldn't buy them in at that price! Buy now!!!

A quick Google told me other places were selling the same weight and quality ingot for half the price ;)
It amazes me that the presenter can keep their faces straight as they tell you these tall tales - I'd be no good, I'd be having 'accidents' due to laughing. I haven't seen Pete flogging his watches for ages, I must treat myself and tune in one day - 'and here we have this superb Frederick Fugelsplot-Nosepicker watch, hand-made in Crewe - sorry, Switzerland - made of high-quality tin, all the Royal Family have theirs and Donald Trump has just ordered 50, don't forget to get yours insured, buy, buy, buy', etc. etc. Them were the days.

Gemporia have their faults, but this jeweller is clearly taking the p**s. I'd always be wary of getting valuations from jewellers that sell too because it's in their interests to 'knock your confidence' with a low value, talk the item down, and then make you a low offer while you're deflated.

Valuations need to be done by a company that only values - and doesn't sell. That way, there's no conflict of interest.

With that in mind.

1. Of course hearts will sell. Anything will sell if its at the right price. Unfortunately, £1999 wasn't the right price. Even in platinum, £1999 seems a lot for a cluster. A WELL CUT heart cut stone is actually hard to come buy - so I'd say that, actually, it absolutely would sell if its been well cut and the stone is of decent quality.

2. I agree with the jeweller here. Some of Gemporia's settings are poorly designed. I see some HUGE stones on the channel - with just 4 single prongs holding them in. They should at least be 'double-pronged' or, as you say, V-set to 'trap' the stone in. It only takes a prong to get pulled on a jumper - and then that stone is lost without you realising until its too late.

3. The jeweller offering £199 is just taking the p**s. This is the problem when a jeweller gives a valuation. He's offering scrap or trade price. Its real worth was probably somewhere in the middle.

As for 'legacy' pieces. Gemporia do not sell 'legacy' or 'heirloom' pieces. If they did, they would NOT be offering a paltry 6-month warranty.

If they genuinely believed that their jewellery was able to be passed on for generations, they'd back it up with a long warranty. If the likes of Monica Vinader can offer a 5-year warranty of silver and even gold-plated pieces prices at £70, then Gemporia should certainly be able to offer a 5 year warranty on a £3000 Lorique ring.

They design jewellery that will get through their 6 month warranty period. They do not design jewellery to last. Hence why they use inadequate prongs on so-called 'heirloom pieces that can be handed down for generations'.

Caveat emptor!
Interesting what you've said about the valuer's comments re: heart cut. I always thought that heart cuts were very much in demand, and retailers often make a point of drawing attention to this cut, so I find the valuer's comment strange. I seem to recall the 'old style' presenters on Gemporia (likes of Scott Worsfold, etc.) saying that hearts were perennially popular, not just for Valentine's Day gifts, but that it's symbolism meant they were always in demand.

TMWNN is right. Look at it this way...what the jeweller was really saying was "I couldn't sell this at a price that is good for me to my typical customer base".

Not in the same league as your piece, but I bought two little heart shaped amethysts from GC earlier this year. They'll be stocking presents for my best mate's two girls.

Don't be disheartened (sorry 😁)

Latest posts

Back